Profile for Polly > Reviews

Content by Polly

Polly "pollyconn" (Yorkshire, England)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Shameful profiteering., 30 Jun 2014
A very undignified and tacky attempt to cash in on a momentous discovery...and by a so-called academic institution at that! Very poor taste indeed.

Sister
Sister

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and stylish thriller, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Sister (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in a couple of days and thought it was incredibly well written. The characterisations are superbly done, so much so that you really get a sense of the personality of Tess, the "victim", almost right from the start. By the end of the book, I felt like I knew Tess really well, and liked her a lot!

The overall tone of the book, I thought, was a bit gloomy. While it certainly fully conveyed the grief Beatrice (the surviving sister) must be feeling over the death of her much-loved sister, at times I found it all quite depressing. The plot has plenty of twists and turns, some of them quite subtle although the final twist, I thought, was a bit of a cop-out. So whilst I put the book down feeling that I'd enjoyed a really good read, I also felt a little cheated too. I'd still recommend it though as a very enjoyable book.

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it at all!, 7 Feb 2012
I downloaded this book for two reasons. Firstly, it was cheap and secondly it had excellent reviews. I have to say I thought it was truly dreadful! The plot is very weak and yet far-fetched, the characters very wooden and stereo-typical and the style of writing is awful. There were several bad spelling mistakes which just added to my annoyance, even though I realise these were probably not the author's mistakes.

It didn't take me long to read, mostly because out of frustration I kept speed-reading chunks, and I only stuck with it to the end in the hope that at some point it may redeem itself. It didn't!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable airbed ever, 23 Sep 2011
I bought this bed as a temporary measure, to allow us to visit someone who didn't have a spare bed. Delivery was incredibly fast - I ordered on a Sunday and it was with us on the Tuesday. Inflating the bed took a matter of minutes and, having slept on it for two nights now, I can confirm that it's incredibly comfortable with no deflation at all. As another reviewer has pointed out, it pays to pump it up quite firmly. A double size fitted sheet fits very nicely and stays in place and I also found it helped to have a thin quilt (in my case a double sleeping bag spread out) under the fitted sheet for added comfort.

An absolute bargain at the price and highly recommended.

Positively Happy: Cosmic Ways To Change Your Life
Positively Happy: Cosmic Ways To Change Your Life
by Noel Edmonds

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to do with cosmic ordering, but...., 3 Sep 2006
When I first heard about this book, I had no intention of reading it! I felt that (like others) Noel Edmonds was simply cashing in on the 'comsic ordering' craze. I also felt that someone like Edmonds was far too cheesy to take seriously as a guru of positivity! It was only after reading all the favourable reviews that I decided I had better give it a go and see for myself.

I have to admit that my first impressions were wrong. Firstly, the book actually gives only the briefest of mentions to cosmic ordering and has very little to do with the subject. In this respect the book's subtitle, "Cosmic ways to change your life", is a little misleading. (This may be a publishing gimmick, to coincide with the cosmic ordering craze and thereby boost sales!) And secondly, Edmonds actually comes across as a very well-grounded and sensible person who has clearly benefited from adopting a positive attitude.

This book actually felt, to me, like two books in one. Part biography and part self-help guide to positivity. Each chapter gives examples from the author's life experiences and ends with key pointers to living a positive lifestyle.

I was left with the strong impression that Noel Edmonds knows what he's talking about. After all, whether you like him as an entertainer or not, there's no doubt that the man has done well for himself!

Perhaps he has got something to teach us after all? This is not an earth-shattering work, but nevertheless a pleasant read. if you do buy this book though, don't expect a guide to cosmic ordering!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2009 4:50 PM GMT

Cosmic Ordering: How to make your dreams come true
Cosmic Ordering: How to make your dreams come true
by Jonathan Cainer

3.0 out of 5 stars The sound of a till going, 1 Aug 2006
I really enjoy reading Jonathan Cainer's daily horoscopes. They're very uplifting and often close to the mark. However, having purchased and read this book, I get the distinct impression that this was purely a case of Mr Cainer jumping on the old "cosmic ordering" bandwagon and cashing in on something while it's hip and trendy! I do know from comments on his website that this book was written very quickly, just a few short weeks prior to publication.

Does this mean cosmic ordering REALLY works for him, or just that he dashed it out in an almighty rush, while the publicity cosmic ordering had received was still fresh? Having read the book, I'd definitely say the latter was so!

Having said that, the book does contain some useful and positive advice which, if followed, can certainly be helpful. It's just that the style in which it is written, in the voice of your so-called "guardian angel" is so cheesy and unconvincing that it just goes to add to the feeling that this book has been rattled out at top-notch speed!

I've given the book three stars because in spite of all I've said, there are a few useful hints for manifesting one's desires. A far better book, however, is "Ask and it is given" by Esther and Jerry Hicks - the Abraham teachings.