Profile for Mr. A. J. Gale > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. J. Gale

Mr. A. J. Gale "andymoviemogul" (UK)

The Deadliest Art - The Best Of The Martial Arts Films [DVD]
The Deadliest Art - The Best Of The Martial Arts Films [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is the best of martial arts, 3 July 2015
I've pre-ordered this so I can't comment on the actual quality of the dvd transfer, the sound , the picture or anything like that yet. But I have seen the film before. I had it on video when I was a kid and completely wore it out. It's technically a documentary, but it's really just a compilation of classic fights from the Golden Harvest (and some seasonal films) back catalogue. Quite frankly it's better than most old school kung fu flicks because you don't have to make allowances for a poor story, plot holes, humour based on the intricacies of the Cantonese language and no sitting through boring bits waiting for the next fight. I now own every film featured in this documentary on dvd (except one) but I'm still excited to get this piece of excellent nostalgia on dvd. As a kid I used it as a guide to what films to try and find in my local video rental shop.

It's hosted and narrated by John Saxon (Roper in Enter the Dragon). There are some slightly irritating errors (if you are a kung fu nerd like me), during a clip of Yukari Oshima in Millionaires Express he confuses her name with Yasuaki Kurata (who is in that film, but not the clip they show). He also mixes up Jackie Chan's fights with Benny Urquidez in Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever. But this is a minor issue. The rest is fine.

There are also some interesting interviews with Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Cynthia Rothrock, Keith Cooke, Robert Clouse and maybe one or two others (it's been a long time since I've seen it). It was made around 1990 (Jean Claude Van Damme is included in a section about stars of the future). All of the clips are from the golden age of Hong Kong cinema, the 1970s and (mainly) the 1980s. Lots of Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Angela Mao, Cynthia Rothrock, Yuen Biao and of course, Bruce Lee. Even if you've seen all the films featured, it's still a very well put together film and tremendous fun to watch.

I just hope the release date stops changing. I want it now.

Centurion [DVD]
Centurion [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Fassbender
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film with no marketing, 5 May 2010
This review is from: Centurion [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this film. Saw it twice during the one week run it had at my local Odeon. Appears to have been a flop, despite mainly positive reviews. I can only put this down to an almost non existent marketing campaign. I didn't see one poster or one trailer for this without having to search specifically for it. By the time I had recommended it to friends who were then up for seeing it, it had stopped playing. Shame, as it is certainly worth seeing. Think 'The Warriors' but with Romans. You can see a very big 'Warriors' influence from the plot down to at least half the characters. I mean this in a positive way as The Warriors is a favourite of mine and Centurion compares very well. Great cast, David Morrissey is perhaps a little under used. Fassbender is particularly good. My favourite Neil Marshall film so far by a mile. Even if the DVD ends up being barebones, I will definetly be purchasing it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2010 12:41 PM BST