Profile for Malbec > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Bryant & May - The Burning Man
Bryant & May - The Burning Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 11 April 2015
I haven't finished reading this yet, but am enjoying it immensely. It is up to the usual Bryant and May standard, with lots of humour, plenty of interesting historical facts, and usual fraught relationships both within and outside the PCU. My only regret is that I will have to wait until next year for the next installment.

If you haven't read any books in this series, do give them a try. They are terrific.

VLC for Fire
VLC for Fire

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 14 Jan. 2015
This review is from: VLC for Fire (App)
I've used VLC for years and it is normally my first choice for media playback. However, it does not play nicely with Plex on my Kindle Fire HDX 7 with both picture and audio breaking up badly. Had to use another app called VPlayer instead. Disappointed.

Epson Expression Home XP-322 All-in-One Printer with WiFi/Epson Connect (Print/Scan/Copy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little printer, 14 Jan. 2015
Delivered within a day of ordering, set up and running in about 10 minutes. Software installed and updated and away we go. Prints well, fairly quiet with a small footprint so doesn't take up much room.

Not sure how long the cartridges will last, but as this is only for the odd colour print, they will probably last a while as we use a mono laser for every day printing.

Fintie Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" SmartShell Case Cover Ultra Slim Lightweight with Auto Sleep / Wake Feature, Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with purchase, 14 Jan. 2015
I chose this, rather than the recommended cover, as I liked the fact that the Kindle Fire HDX7 clips into the cover. Having a similar cover for my Kindle I have found this to be a secure way of keeping my devices from damage. This case also folds into a stand, which is useful on occasion but I prefer to use a little plastic device from the Amazon basics range, which works better and is more stable.

I also wanted something other than black as a cover, so chose the purple one. Although it is only a plastic cover, it looks fine and not cheap or tacky like some covers do.

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB (Previous Generation - 3rd)
Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB (Previous Generation - 3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased I bought this :), 14 Jan. 2015
I've had this for a couple of weeks now, so have given it a good work out. Although I already have the Nexus 7, which is a lovely little tablet, I have an issue with the oblong screen for viewing films. Everything looks compressed in letterbox view so I was looking for a cheapish tablet with a more squared screen. The Kindle Fire HDX 7 fitted that bill and had good reviews both on Amazon and elsewhere.

Pros: Easy to use and very intuitive. I have not had to resort to using the Mayday help button, but it is nice to know it is there if required. I was a bit confused looking for an app for ebooks and audiobooks to start with, then realised that there is a toolbar with these built in, which makes it really easy to access your Amazon and Audible purchased books. The tablet itself is light enough to hold for reasonable periods of time when reading, although I prefer reading ebooks with either my Kindle or Sony ereader as I find the back light a bit straining on my eyes after a while. However, for reading reference books with colour plates, it is ideal and what I will mainly be using it for. As a Prime member, it also has a toolbar link directly to Amazon Instant Video, which is excellent and I've used this a lot. The screen itself is sharp with crisp colours and although this is a smallish screen, I don't tend to notice this when watching a video. The sound quality is not at all bad for such a small device, although it is better, for me at least, when using headphones. Fast response times, most of the time (see cons) and simple navigation. Good battery life for a tablet, only needing charging every couple of days or less frequently if you don't use the wireless all the time.

Cons: The Silk browser is not much to write home about so I have installed Firefox, which runs well. The Fire HDX 7 has also on occasion locked up and frozen, and the only way to get out of this is to shut down and restart. This has happened enough times for me to consider it an annoyance, albeit it is fairly quick to resolve. The Amazon apps are limited compared to those on Google Play, and it is very annoying to have to purchase the same app twice if you are unable to side load. I did find a way of doing this by downloading my paid for Google apps to a rooted phone, and then transferring them to the Kindle Fire. This means that I have been able to also install the Aldiko ebook reader, which is my preferred ebook reader, and means that I can also sideload all my non Amazon purchased epub ebooks via Calibre. Likewise I've also installed Listen Audiobook, which is a superb app for listening to MP3 audiobooks. It would also be nice to be able to customise the lock screen with your own pictures. There is only a front facing camera, which for those of us not into taking selfies or using Skype, makes it a bit irrelevant.

Overall, this is a very nice tablet, responds well and I'm using this far more than my Nexus 7, which may be looking for a new home shortly. If you are able to sideload apps you can expand the range of apps available quite considerably, although there doesn't seem to be a way to load Google Play Store, not that I've been able to get to work anyway. Other apps I've installed are Plex, which means I can stream my home media collection to the Kindle Fire, Old Time Radio for old radio shows, various file managing apps, all the iPlayer apps and great little media player called VPlayer, which works with Plex better than VLC player, which would normally be my first choice but didn't want to play nicely with Plex. Dropbox is also a very useful app to install as well.

I'm pleased that I bought this, especially at the reduced price. I suspect that a newer model will be out shortly, but this one suits me very well and is getting a lot of use.

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
Pre-ordered this when it was on special offer. Very pleased with it as I can now watch Prime and Netflix in my kitchen as well as the lounge. I also installed the Plex app, which means that I no longer have to plug in an external drive when I want to watch stored media. This also has the advantage of zinging everything though to the main tv in the lounge as well. One additional bonus is that there is no longer any buffering on BBC iPlayer which was usual when watching this through the Freesat box.

Not sure I would have paid the full price for this, but for the offer at the time it is definitely worth it.

HGST Touro Desk Pro 4TB External Hard Drive - Black
HGST Touro Desk Pro 4TB External Hard Drive - Black
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drive, 24 Dec. 2014
This is the 4th Touro I've bought, although the first Pro version. Works as well as the others and would buy again.

Harry Potter - The Complete 8-Film Collection [DVD] [2001]
Harry Potter - The Complete 8-Film Collection [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment, 24 Dec. 2014
Had this on my wish list for some time so pleased to see it reduced in the Black Friday sale. Looking forward to finding time to sit down and watch them all again.

PowerLock Soap Dish
PowerLock Soap Dish

3.0 out of 5 stars Suction not very good, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: PowerLock Soap Dish (Misc.)
Just what I wanted, but it is a PITA to get it to stick to the tile above the sink. Any slight weight put on the front edge removes the suction again. It needs replacing at least a couple of times a week. I may just resort to using superglue to keep it in place.

Bose ® Headphones 6m Extension Cable
Bose ® Headphones 6m Extension Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Dec. 2014
Needed headphone extension lead to plug into TV and this does the job admirably. Being very thin it is also easy to hide under a rug so as to not trip anyone up. Well worth paying the extra for the sound quality.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15