Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Sussex, UK)

Transformers - Age of Extinction
Transformers - Age of Extinction
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, 17 Feb. 2015
Seems overly long, repetitive and dull to me. On the plus side is it doesn't have Shia Le Duff in it or Megan Pox. Other than that put it on in the background rather than writing off 2.5 hours of your life.

The Weight Of Your Love
The Weight Of Your Love

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighter but perhaps not any brighter, 8 July 2013
This review is from: The Weight Of Your Love (Audio CD)
I have to say I struggled with this album on first listen. I have loved Editors since day one and I was one person who really got 'In This Light and on This Evening' as a whole album it worked for me as it was a definite sound for the band identity, in my opinion a very underrated album.

This album does lack the grit of the previous albums it is a little lighter in a way that last album was dark in all but title. Playing it is definitely going to get you thinking, 'That sounds a bit like...' and 'so does that one...' rather than this is Editors and I love it.

I have to say after a few plays I am enjoying it more, it still doesn't quite hit the spot. The songs are mostly good solid songs and the lyrics are still dark enough even if the music doesn't match them. I just want them to put a bit more power back in and I miss the darker sounds.

Best tracks (for me):
Sugar
A Ton of Love
Formaldehyde
Two Hearted Spider

And actually all three on the special edition deserve a place on the album so get this version.

Anyway stick at it, don't give up, I believe that some of these tracks will be better live than they are on the album which isn't such a bad thing. As much as I loved the last album it was definitely not an album full of tracks which had impact on stage.

Memory Foam Topper Mattress Cover For King Size Bed
Memory Foam Topper Mattress Cover For King Size Bed
Offered by World of Beds

3.0 out of 5 stars Slept well but with a smell, 23 Jun. 2013
We bought this product as a trial of memory foam. We aired it for several days as memory foam appears to generally smell dank like mould and mildew, this eventually reduces to a slight smell and over time is supposed to disappear altogether.

From my internet searches I have confirmed this can occur with all memory foam products as far as I am aware due to the chemicals used in manufacture, it is not specific to this item.

Please note that no-one ever mentions this with memory foam products for some reason. If you are smell sensitive like we are it will never be the product for you. I wished someone had told me before buying as I may well have never ordered it hence why I am trying to give you this feedback. There may be some really expensive versions which are less smelly but I am not willing to try them.

It is big enough for a king size, perhaps some reviews have super king size as this definitely wasn't an issue for us.

Pros
- very reasonable price
- it is comfortable

Cons
- it essentially smells bad for about a week and mildly thereafter for an unknown period of time.
- it slips about a bit

Summary
This was a good trial for us in the world of memory foam, but natural duck down mattress topper now ordered which smells of cotton and duck down but isn't as much use for NASA I am sure....

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameseek

4.0 out of 5 stars Better much better, 26 Feb. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Having played Fallout 3 I was sceptical as to how much I would enjoy this game, however after a few hours of play I was hooked. It is a very slick game with very few downsides.
----
Advantages

Good story line and feel of the game
Good easy to manage combat system
Atmospheric and challengingly vast
Graphically the engine is a little dated but they have squeezed the best out of it.
Good choice structure and character build set.
----
Disadvantages

Much like all modern RPGs once you have looted for 40 levels it starts to get boring, no items are really all that special (apart from the Daedra sidequest weapons which are good and unique).

I really wish they would obliterate the random loot like bowls and cups they are just annoying rather than adding realism, you can spend ages picking a chest at the end of a well designed section only to find some generic dull weapon, boring boring. Give us a real reason to explore please!

Probably a few too many sidequests, at points your quest menu just won't go down, you complete one and they give you another straight away leading to a lot of backwards and forwards progress. I would be nicer if they spaced the game out a bit better so you don't just get all the quests at once.

NPCs are not really interesting and companions are mostly lifeless, it would be nice if they introduced companion sidequests or something.

----
Summary

All in all despite the disadvantages I have listed, it is a much better overall RPG than the very disappointing Dragon Age II which was a vast step backwards by Bioware from DA Origins. Skyrim definitely deserves the praise it has been given because it is a very good game. I still think both producers should take notes from each other and we will truly have an amazing and very involving RPG.

Medal of Honor (Xbox 360)
Medal of Honor (Xbox 360)
Offered by 6 Hungry Weasels

4.0 out of 5 stars Battered COD, 22 Feb. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
There is no comparison between this and COD, this game literally works better in most ways for example:

- Your team mates actually score some kills, whereas in COD it seems they don't know which end of the weapon to use and you end up having to showboat all game.
- This means you actually work with your team to complete the mission and makes it more realistic in my view.
- Lean and shoot is fantastic, this used to be in FPS more and it never should have been overlooked.

I admit the AI probably needs a little work but all in all it doesn't detract from the fluidity of the game. I still enjoyed COD but it is a 3 star average level of enjoyment. MOH is much more absorbing.

Sid Meier's Civilization V
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Fails to Deliver, 10 Oct. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Civ 5 does fail to deliver for most Civ fans. I do feel some of the improvements do add to the game and really work well as an improvement to the series. A good example of this is that the AI can no longer build and move 100s of units every turn which cuts down the processing time in between turns especially in huge games.

I approve of the removal of stacking and the hex system, ranged units now take their true historic place in battles so yes the war elements are good.

I am not very happy with the removal of religion, cultural domination and the fact you no longer really have much control over your empires finances so if you need to raise some cash you really can't do it any more.

Also it is worth noting I can run this game on my machine which is way below minimum spec (no dual core and a very outdated DX9 graphics card). Yes it doesn't look as pretty as it should but it does work and bugs have not stopped any of my gaming so far.

Overall it does fall short and is not really a step forward because they have taken too many elements out that really worked and will be missed by any true fan, it is playable but lacks the addictive one more turn element of the previous games.

It needs a bit more complexity so it will keep you coming back for more. I can only hope further upgrade builds do happen to improve the profile of the game. As it stands I expect sales will be lower than they could have achieved which is very sad for a game with such a strong heritage.

Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by MICRO LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, 4 May 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have to say I don't think it is much of an RPG in reality. It is too lonely in the vast tedious landscape of DC, there is not much interplay between characters no proper companions or humour, and the endless roaming of the beige landscape is just tiring. I enjoyed all the main storyline but the game more like a really slow shooter with RPG elements. The original Deux Ex managed to nail the blend of RPG and shooter perfectly but I think this game just tries to be too big and in the end you are left feeling why I am I wandering into another building and pick up the same loot and junk again and again?

I finished the game feeling that perhaps if it did have more enjoyable characters and NPCs, more fast travel without having to use subway after subway, and more variety then perhaps I would have enjoyed the experience and gone back for some more. Sadly it just doesn't really deliver, perhaps the downloadable content would add something but I am just too bored with the world of Fallout to want to go back.

My advice is try Mass Effect 1 & 2 if you want a real RPG with proper characters, an engaging story, a bit of colour and varied landscapes.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2010 6:30 PM BST

Union
Union
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Emotive Album, 30 April 2010
This review is from: Union (Audio CD)
There have been very few bands that have really grabbed me in the same way that TBR have. Strangely enough the first one was Radiohead especially when they released The Bends. I agree with another reviewer there is only a minimal comparison between the bands despite the review on the album, vocally Nicholson is far more similar to Morton Harket (A-Ha), an odd comparison maybe but he really excels in the higher range. The melodies throughout this album and the last are as enthralling as The Bends, specifically Silent Movie on this album, additionally The Gospel Of Goro Adachi is very similar to Radiohead's recent offerings. Other than that this album really takes a lot of 90s British indie rock sounds and brings them right up to date.

Having said all that you don't need to compare TBR with anyone because they are creating superb music which demands attention, it hard to pick any favourites off this album as there really isn't a low or even average quality song amongst them in my opinion. Each member of the band contributes to the overall sound meaning the sweet spots in each song are just perfect.

Flashing Red Light Means Go (4/5) - Strong start to the album literally drumming you in and immediately showing off Nicholson's strong vocals.

Move On (4/5) - Slows the pace slightly but keeps you going on the right pitch

Evacuate (4/5) - This track is more like the majority of last album a little more raspy vocally but with strong well placed sounds

Soviets (5/5)- Starts acoustic, builds in drums and electric to finish, perfection

Spitting Fire (4/5) - Good song, keeping you in the spirit of the album

Misplaced (5/5) - Slow melodic song with a real vocal presence backed up superbly by the music, simply brilliant!

The Gospel Of Goro Adach (5/5) - A great change of style, more electronic sound, varied vocals and all smoothly integrated into the album with ease.

These Walls Are Thin (5/5) - This will have you singing the chorus because Here We Are indeed, the only issue being it is just a little too short but that takes nothing away from it. Marvellous stuff.

Forces (5/5) - Literally forces its way in and you won't object, it finishes with more superb vocals and well crafted music

Semi Automatic (5/5) - Builds and builds until you are hooked in eyes closed and loving every sound.

Silent Movie (4/5) - Sounds like this is the last song in which it would do perfectly

Finally if you like this album you should buy the first one because it is also superb, it is only slightly less accessible at first, but once you get it you will keep listening. If you like the first album and haven't yet bought this I couldn't recommend it as it truly expands on this bands ability.

Buy it, see them live and enjoy!