Profile for Laura Simmons > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Top Tips for Fussy Eaters
Top Tips for Fussy Eaters

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant advice for tricky toddlers!, 18 May 2010
This book should be owned by all parents with toddlers! The advice here, as in all of Gina Ford's other books, is simple and no-nonsense. Time and again other parents say to me "your kids eat so well", and I have to admit that it's all down to Gina's fantastic advice. It's common sense, really, keep snacks small, keep meals home cooked and, of course, have a good set routine! Sounds simple, but you'd be surprised at how many parents I know just don't do it!!!

The Case Study's really make this book and there's also some great recipes, as well as a FAQ section . The smaller format is great too, for dipping in and out of when time is short.

I can't recommend this book highly enough!!!

From Crying Baby to Contented Baby
From Crying Baby to Contented Baby

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick reference guide, 18 May 2010
It's true that this is a collection of tips from all of Gina's previous books BUT even if you have all the others I still think this is worth owning if you have a young baby. It's a really easy to use little book with all the info in a format that means you can easily find what you're looking for. If you're not already a massive fan of Gina's work, or find her routines a little intimidating, then I also think this book could be big help as it's not as "full on" (or as comprehensive) as The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting but will undoubtedly help you understand why your baby is crying.

I, for one, really struggled with my first baby. Midwives and the Health Visitor told me to "feed on demand" but I'd really no idea what that meant.. and they don't tell you that babies cry for lots of reasons!!! With Gina's books I was able to clearly see that my poor baby was vastly overtired. Once I worked that out things we so much happier in the Simmons' household! Gina Ford's advice is simple and it works!!!!!!

Finger Food For Babies And Toddlers: Delicious nutritious food for little hands to hold
by Jennie Maizels

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely food - not just for babies and toddlers!!!!!, 24 Jun. 2009
I've had this book since my daughter was 6 months old (she's now 4.5 years) and I refer to it time and time again!! Brilliant recipe for sugar-free rusks, risotto fingers, samosas, etc..... I would recommend it to anyone who wants some new ideas for lunchboxes and picnics too. Also a great book to give as a gift!

The Contented Baby's First Year: The secret to a calm and contented baby: A Month-by-month Guide to Your Baby's Development
by Gina Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book - whether or not you want a routine!!!!!, 8 April 2009
I bought a copy of this book when it was first available and I loved the gorgeous pictures and practical advice. Since then I have bought it for several of my friends who have had babies and they have all said the same thing - it is a beautifully presented, informative book. I especially like how the information is laid out in an easy-to-read format: bite-size chunks of knowledge with clear headings under different age groups. Gina Ford's routines are mentioned in the book but they are not the central theme, for that you will have to look at the Contented Little Baby Book. I think this is a definate plus as it makes it a book that's very accessible to all parents, not just those who want structure in their (and their babies) lives.

I have both a Miriam Stoppard book and "What to expert in the First year" and I have to say that they do very different things. If you want a book that you will refer to throughout your babies first 12 months but that you will also keep and cherish along with things like your babies first shoe, etc (and one that is perfect to give as a gift) then Gina Ford's First Year book is the one for you!

Reading this book, it's easy to see why Gina Ford in the UK's bestselling childcare author!!!!!

Learn to Knit
Learn to Knit
by Sue Whiting

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for the absolute beginner, 1 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Learn to Knit (Paperback)
I had absolutely no knitting experience but was keen to learn and was given this book as a Christmas present along with the needles and wool required for the first "project"...... following the pictures and steps in the book I failed to even be able to cast on!! The patterns are simple enough, I think, but written in a way that I feel you would need to be a bit more experienced to be able to follow (as a complete movice knitting patterns, generally, seem like a foreign language to me!). There is virtually no explanation of basic things like tension, how to change colours, how to finish work, etc. As a previous reviewer has said it does seem as if some of the "steps" are missing.

Fortunately I didn't hang up my needles for good - determined to become a knitter I bought Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner and my experience of that book couldn't have been more different. I'm now enjoying learning how to knit!!!!

Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
by Aneeta Patel

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned to knit thanks to this book!!!!!, 1 Feb. 2009
I was given a "Learn to Knit" book for Christmas and it's rubbish. I just ended up feeling frustrated.... so I searched Amazon for something decent and read the positive reviews of this book. I'm so pleased I bought it. Projects start simple and build up to more complex work. Good "trouble-shooting" section. Brilliant explanations of how patterns are written (which, as a complete novice, seemed like a foreign language to me!). Yes, there are lots of projects that involve children's clothes but, for me, that's not a criticism - personally I need small projects to get me started and keep up my momentum!! I have a concern though - this book has made knitting seem so fun and easy I'm going to spend a fortune on wool!!!!

If you're a complete beginner and need a book to get you started (and keep your interest in the beauty and fun of knitting) then this is definately the book for you!!!!

Feeding Made Easy: The ultimate guide to contented family mealtimes
Feeding Made Easy: The ultimate guide to contented family mealtimes

5.0 out of 5 stars Much much more than a reference book!!!!, 6 Jun. 2008
This is a fantastic book. It has so much information, from advice on how to provide nutritionally balanced meals for your kids, to how to shop and cook for a family with the minimum of stress! The recipes are great too - lots of new ideas for breakfast, lunch and tea (inc many that I know myself and my husband will enjoy). I especially love all the new "one-pot" recipes - perfect for busy mums and dads! It's a cookbook and a healthy eating guide in one. I can honestly say that I've never seen a book on feeding kids that's as comprehensive or as useful. With two hungry pre-schoolers to feed, I know that I'll be referring to this one time and time again!

Even if you have never followed any of Gina Ford's routines or have never looked at a copy of one of her books before, I urge you to buy this! It's the perfect companion to her "Food Bible", presented in a modern, fresh, way.

Sleepy Time: A Lift-the-Flap Book (Touch & Feel Book)
Sleepy Time: A Lift-the-Flap Book (Touch & Feel Book)

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely sweet book, perfect for bedtime!, 10 Mar. 2008
I was sooo shocked to see the one star reviews for this book - clearly written by individuals who have never read this book (or any other of the Contented Baby books for that matter) and are just biased against Gina Ford. It makes me really sad that some individuals feel the need to demonise Gina and the parents that choose to follow her routines.

The "Ella and Tom" books are perfect for babies and toddlers, not just those with a routine! Gorgeous pictures, and simple stories. I'm a big fan and so is my 15 month old son.

Let's Play: A Touch and Feel Book (Touch & Feel Book)
Let's Play: A Touch and Feel Book (Touch & Feel Book)
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect "first" books!!!, 28 Jun. 2007
The Ella and Tom series are the perfect books for babies. This one is great for developing awareness of texture. The characters "Tom" and "Ella" are colourful and cute. My son (7 months) seems to love it - and it's great for cuddling up and reading on a rainy afternoon!

Not just for fans of Gina Ford's Contented Little Baby routines, these picture books are the best I've seen for babies and young children!

Going on a Picnic: A Lift-the-Flap Book (Touch & Feel Book)
Going on a Picnic: A Lift-the-Flap Book (Touch & Feel Book)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect "first" books!!, 28 Jun. 2007
Whether you're a fan of Gina Ford's Contented Little Baby Routines or not, these are lovely books.

The story is simple (what do we need for our picnic), the characters "Tom" and "Ella" are really colourful and cute, and the books themsleves are a perfect size for little hands. My son (who's 7 months) already enjoys lifting the flaps to see the pictures underneath - it's the perfect way for us to spend some close time together!

Page: 1 | 2