Profile for NB > Reviews

Content by NB

NB (London)

ebertSankey 7-Litre Budget Can (Green)
ebertSankey 7-Litre Budget Can (Green)
Offered by DIY & Homewares
Price: 9.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Product incomplete, 27 July 2012
As a watering can, this is perfectly adequate. However, be aware that, despite the claim on the website that this comes with a rose, it in fact is delivered without one. As it happens, I don't need one, so I won't take it any further, but please be warned!!

A Platter of Figs & Other Recipes
A Platter of Figs & Other Recipes
by David Tanis
Price: 22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars My most used cookbook, 21 Dec 2010
I have now had this cookbook for a year and been through all four seasons (the book is organised seasonally). I have not yet had a bad recipe and I have had many truly excellent recipes. This book is all about letting the quality of ingredients shine, and the recipes really let that happen. I find that I keep on going back to familiar recipes and, unusually for me, I now have twelve recipes from the book which I have cooked at least three times - I'm not sure that any other cookbook I own has supplied more than three such recipes!

Really, the only negative I can find is that some of the recipes seem to be for entire armies, so you do need to do a reality check on quantities when preparing to shop for the ingredients.

Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2011
Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2011
by Hugh Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars The classic, warts and all, 25 Oct 2010
I've grown up with this book, since the early 80s, and I probably buy every other one. It absolutely has the field to itself in its format - only an iPhone would pack so much information into such a small space!

However, I've demoted it to 3 stars from 5 because I think it is getting increasingly outdated. It's become rather like a cherished vintage car - lovable but really from a different era. The book's focus is on France and it always seems very weak on the New World, the entries for which seem more like tokenism than anything Hugh Johnson or his team really enjoy. For example, many of the greatest wines in the world come from California (as judged by prices achieved) and yet it only merits a handful of pages. Also, I'm increasingly convinced that the producer, rather than the specific geography, is the key to a good wine, and this is ignored. For example, his coverage of Burgundy is all about specific vineyard sites, with only a small amount of space devoted to who is growing the wine: in my view, it should be the other way round.

In short, I've deducted 2 stars. To get them back for me, one star would be earned for publishing this as a downloadable iPhone app and the other would be for treating the New World seriously.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2010 5:00 PM GMT

The Great Domaines of Burgundy
The Great Domaines of Burgundy
by Remington Norman
Price: 26.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlocks Burgundy's complexities, 25 Oct 2010
As a lover of Burgundy, I was anticipating a great book and I was not disappointed. By focusing on the producer rather than the specific appelation, Remington Norman has unlocked what is the world's most confusing wine region. All the books previously have focused on a village and its wines, and only then considered the merits of the producer. I find as a consumer that I grow to like the wines of a particular producer and so I find his approach much more useful. It is amazingly comprehensive but, as always with Burgundy, it's always possible to find the exception he has not covered.

A brilliant book.

The Wine Opus
The Wine Opus
by DK
Price: 37.87

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - an up to date view of wine, 25 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Wine Opus (Hardcover)
When Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book first came out - and, indeed, the first version of his wine atlas - I thought they were the best books out there on wine. The Atlas rapidly became outdated as it hardly mentioned the New World, and the revised edition continues the omission. The Pocket Wine Book is still great as something to bring out in a restaurant to check up before ordering a wine (there aren't yet any apps that do such a thing well), and it's still great if you are contemplating a specific vintage of a particular wine (but not a New World one as they don't get much of a mention). However, it's all organised in a very old-fashioned way and seems to me no longer really to be relevant.

What I particularly like about the Wine Opus is that it is focused on the producer rather than the name of the wine. In my experience of amateur enjoyment of wine, I have always found that the producer is the key to a good wine. You can get bound up in the intricacies of Burgundy, or you can demand a wine from Marlborough, but in either case you can end up very disappointed. With this book, the producer is given first billing and it seems to have carried that concept through very thoroughly.

It's early days yet with the book, but the reasons for my 5 star review are two-fold. First, I enjoyed a quick trip to Stellenbosch, armed with a photocopy of the SA pages and found the recommendations absolutely spot-on (and the rising star marker seems to work well). Second, I have now got in the habit of referring to the book consistently, over and above my other wine reference books. Some of them (particularly the Pocket Wine Book, which this has now superseded in my estimation) are already 5 star books, and this one is better.

Capdase Power Kit for iPhone 3G/3Gs & iPod
Capdase Power Kit for iPhone 3G/3Gs & iPod

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value kit, 6 Oct 2010
It seems it's difficult to get basic accessories for an iPhone which aren't either massively over-priced (made by Apple in China) or pieces of junk (made by others in China). This, however, treads a happy middle ground. Been using it now for a month and it all seems adequately sturdy and does what it says on the tin. The price (I paid under 20) was reasonable for what was included.

Apple iPhone 4 16GB Black
Apple iPhone 4 16GB Black
Offered by J FISHER COMPANY
Price: 199.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget but phone is useless, 22 Sep 2010
Pros
Beautiful device
Excellent screen
Intuitive interface
Touch works well
Battery life ok - easily lasts the day

Cons
Reception is truly awful - max 1 bar when a Blackberry on the same network has 5 bars.
Regularly drops calls (over 50% of calls)
Needs regular hard reboots (2 or 3 a day) - you only know you have to do this when it appears to have a signal but you cannot make a call or send a text, or incomings go straight to voicemail.
Looks are ruined by bumper supplied by Apple.
Menu system is inflexible, eg switching Bluetooth on or off requires 7 to 10 touches vs 2 or 3 on a Blackberry - and, unlike an Android, the command cannot be docked on the front page.
Phone dialler apps (for calling cards) don't work well as the OS stops them applying the # key.

Conclusion
The device is a massively pretty toy, great fun to play with and great to show off. However, it is a fatally flawed phone and next to useless as a telephone device. I'm taking a huge loss and replacing it as I cannot afford to sit 18 months without a mobile phone that works.
Comment Comments (24) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2012 10:24 PM BST

Samsung X520 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel C2D ULV SU7300 1.3 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, DVDRW, 6 Cell Battery, up to 9.5 Hours, HDMI, Webcam, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home Premium, Silver/Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty machine, appaling customer service, 4 Dec 2009
Very pretty machine but two initial serious irritations with it so far.

First, when you first turn the machine on it goes through setting up Windows. It asks what your name is etc. - fair enough. It then says that it is going to partition the hard drive and you must tell it how much space you want on each partition. It says this is very important and that, once answered, you can't undo it - or words to that effect. What it does not say is how to make such a decision - so those of us who are not computer experts have no idea what answer to give and what the consequences of giving the wrong answer are. I now have a nagging feeling that I've done it wrong and that I'll live to regret it. This is very poor for a consumer product.

Second, I often travel to my US office with this machine, so I want to leave a power supply there (not an unlikely scenario - it's why I paid more and bought a particularly light and thin machine so I could travel light). Samsung UK cannot provide a US power supply. Samsung USA refer me to their spares supplier who cannot supply one; they refer me to another part of Samsung who refer me to a third part of Samsung who only use voicemail and don't call back. Pathetic for a global company.

So, in short, this is potentially a good product but let down very badly by the consumer interface. Unless you are a computer expert who does not travel, steer well clear of this.