Profile for K.V.E. > Reviews

K.V.E. (Finland)

Survive! Inside the Human Body, Vol. 1: The Digestive System
Survive! Inside the Human Body, Vol. 1: The Digestive System
by Gomdori co.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read it to my 6-year-old son and he really enjoyed it, even though some of the things were ..., 25 Jan. 2016
Very informative. I read it to my 6-year-old son and he really enjoyed it, even though some of the things were a little above his level. But he enjoyed it and learnt a lot. What more can I ask for...

Fitbit Charge HR Heart Rate and Activity Wristband  - Black, Large
Fitbit Charge HR Heart Rate and Activity Wristband - Black, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes there some things to take into consideration, but I REALLY LIKE IT!, 25 Jan. 2016
I'm very happy with my Charge HR.

But first a list of things that should be taken into consideration:
- As has been noted by others, the device doesn't do well in registering quick changes in heart rate. In other words, adjusting to the heart rate does take some time, but this goes both for an increase and a decrease in heart rate, so overall it should give a fairly accurate picture.
- Others have pointed out the need of a screen protector as the screen is easily scratched. I took this concern lightly thinking I'd be careful, within approx. a week I had a very visible scratch on the screen, so get a screen protector.
- If the arm is in certain positions or used vigorously the device has a tendency to slide down. I have found however that this is easily taken care of, by putting one of my wife's hair bands (not too loose and not to tight) on my arm to prevent the device from moving forward.

Now, I especially like Fitbit Charge HR because
+ it has really motivated me to exercise
+ it automatically recognizes active time and automatically recognize and tag certain exercises.
+ when you track an exercise, you don't have to select a specific exercise or workout, but can do whatever you want to. If you want to you can name the workout afterwards.
+ HR function can be turned on and off (nowadays I tend to turn it off for the night)
+ the device and app are very flexible

Campbell's Physiology Notes
Campbell's Physiology Notes
by John Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 20 May 2011
This is a superb physiology book! It ought to be available continually! With so many books (in almost all subjects), one gets the feeling that the authors are trying "show off" or look good in the academic community. That is not the case with this book. It is obvious that Campbell has written this book with the student in mind. Now, if you want an indepth book of physiology, if you want to read thousands of pages or want physiology in mathematical formulas this is not the book for you.

So who do I think will benefit? Any nursing student. Anyone who wants a solid yet not massive introduction to physiology. Anyone who is or intends to teach physiology (if not for content, for the superb presentation style). Anyone who finds physiology to be intimidating.

And what's so great about the book? Clear, conversational and relevant presentation! Instead of fancy photos and colour pictures (that often tend to confusion rather than clarity) the book is full of the author's own black and white simple drawings. Now this may seem primitive in todays multimedia world, but the simple drawings make the concepts easier to understand.

I have a weakness when it comes to books. I have bought lots of (too many) books, some bad some good and a few outstanding! On my bookshelf there are at least seven different modern physiology books (on different levels), but this is the best in its genre. It was worth every cent!

Biblical Hebrew for Beginners
Biblical Hebrew for Beginners
by Dan Cohn-Sherbok

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it claims to be, 6 Jun. 2010
An excellent introduction to Biblical Hebrew. There are several reasons why this book is excellent. First of all, it is only 134 pages. The grammar is actually covered in the first 84 pages, the rest being an expansion with explained readings from the Hebrew Bible. It is always encouraging for a student when the textbook is thin. There are, however, some thin textbooks that are written in a very boring and technical way, but not so with this one. The book is both very thin and very readable. Chapters are brief and to the point, yet conversational in style.

Another positive feature is the answer key in the back of the book. Books that have exercises, but no answer key makes the reader crippled or highly dependent on a teacher.

The book will not explain all details of the Hebrew language, but then again it is not an advanced grammar. It is a book for beginners. But it is a serious book for beginners, and it is a good starting point.

No it is not perfect, but it is the best thin, readable, serious introduction to Biblical Hebrew I have come across so far, and after all, I do have five others sitting in my book shelf.

Some certainly will see matters differently than I do, but a last good point about the book is that it is rather affordable as well. So I definitely think it is a book worth getting.