Profile for M. R. Robinson > Reviews

Content by M. R. Robinson

M. R. Robinson "bookaholic" (London, UK)

Dunlop Acifort Warwick Full Safety Welly Size 9 Black/Red
Dunlop Acifort Warwick Full Safety Welly Size 9 Black/Red
Offered by Best Workwear

4.0 out of 5 stars Great wellies., 21 Nov 2013
I am very pleased with these boots. They are good and sturdy and look like they will wear well. As one reviewer remarked there is a bit of a lump in one boot towards the front but I'm sure this can be solved with an in sole. That's the only reason for not giving five strars. I am also indebted to those reviewers who mentioned the generous sizing. I'm a size 9 and a half so would have ordered a 10 but thanks to the reviews I ordered a 9 and it's a good fit. Overall a good buy, I think, especially for the very reasonable price.

Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver: 4th Doctor (with Sound FX)
Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver: 4th Doctor (with Sound FX)

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic piece of kit, 22 Aug 2013
I have wanted one of these most of my life and at 41 I finally own my own 4th Doctor sonic screwdriver.

The product looks very good and being made out of what seems to be reasonably sturdy plastic should stand up to being played with well. Very rough play may possibly result in the emitter head (the circular top section) breaking off but I think it would last a good while. That doesn't matter to me as I will only really use it with my fancy dress costume.

The price is very good too. I have seen other replicas of this kind priced much higher and that has always put me off buying one before now.

To be honest it would have received the full 5 stars but for one thing. As has been said on this site and other review sites the 2 sound effects it makes are completely wrong. The instruction leaflet says the sounds are "taken directly from the TV series". This is true but they are the sounds applicable to the prop used by David Tennant as the 10th Doctor.

As this toy is obviously endorsed by the BBC (BBC and Doctor Who logos are on the packaging along with a photo of Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor) it seems strange that the sounds are not correct (I understand all the toys in this range make the same sounds) particularly as this has been commented on many times over the past few years. By now I would have thought the problem could have been fixed.

However I knew of this problem before I bought it but as you can't get one with the correct sounds I decided to buy it anyway and I am still very pleased with it. I think any fan of the show will be happy with it.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country [DVD]
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country [DVD]
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 July 2012
Just what I wanted, I've been looking for the extended version on dvd for ages Arrived promptly and in perfect condition exactly as described Very pleased thanks.

RSW Cool Bag 4 Colours
RSW Cool Bag 4 Colours
Offered by Allsortz of Everything

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so cool., 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: RSW Cool Bag 4 Colours
OK I know this was a cheap item but I bought it mostly because it was a good size for taking my lunch to work. It arrived quickly but looked very flimsy and just blown together. I used it with an ice pack and it did do.the job but having had it for about a month now it is falling to pieces. I expected it to last a lot longer than this and am very disappointed with it. A badly made product that I would recommend you do not buy. Rubbish.

Romance of Crime (Doctor Who Missing Adventures)
Romance of Crime (Doctor Who Missing Adventures)
by Gareth Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what the doctor ordered, 14 Sep 2010
I really enjoyed this book. While I agree that it does not attempt to do anything but copy the style and feeling of the series in 1979, I must also say that to be honest that was really what I wanted. I know many people - me included - say that this period was by no means the series best but it had many good moments and even the ones remembered as particular stinkers have their good points. Usually it's the realisation that messes the whole thing up, the actual story is fine. So this novel was able to bypass all the problems the series had with bad acting and budget constraints to give us a great fun set piece of classic who. The writing was excellent, particularly the interplay between the Doctor and Romana and I loved the touch of having the ogrons in there as well. If you come up with a who story featuring a couple of East End gangsters then the only place it will fit is within the 1979 season. Of course it was also nice to have K9 speaking (in my mind) with the voice of John Leeson and not the woeful version provided by David Brierly.

Doctor Who Deny Mens T-Shirt
Doctor Who Deny Mens T-Shirt

5.0 out of 5 stars Accept this reality!, 19 May 2010
Really pleased with this T-Shirt. Good quality and a great picture of my ultimate Doctor. At 38 I finally don't care who knows I'm a fan and I can wear this with pride.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2011 10:38 PM BST