Profile for J. Gibson > Reviews

How Bad are Bananas?: The Carbon Footprint of Everything
How Bad are Bananas?: The Carbon Footprint of Everything
by Mike Berners-Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning - this book may change your life!, 30 Oct. 2010
Warning: if you read this book you will never think of a traffic jam or a pint of milk in the same way again.

Don't listen to me, just buy it!

Tender: Volume II, A cook's guide to the fruit garden
Tender: Volume II, A cook's guide to the fruit garden
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant food writer, 21 Sept. 2010
... in fact, a brilliant writer, full stop.

This is a beautiful book - the design, the writing style, the photographs, and (though I haven't cooked from it yet) the recipes.
More than any gardening writer, Nigel has inspired me to develop my own little kitchen garden. Now I'm hankering for some raspberry and currant bushes too!

Revise for Geography GCSE: AQA Specification B (GCSE Geography (for AQA B))
Revise for Geography GCSE: AQA Specification B (GCSE Geography (for AQA B))
by Mr John D Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars old syllabus!, 6 Sept. 2010
I bought this when it came up as a recommended additional buy with the 2009 coursebook. However, this revision guide relates to the old syllabus and covers very different ground. Have returned it.

Shoe Storage Wheel Rack by Rakku - Silver - 74.5 x 73 x 32.5cm
Shoe Storage Wheel Rack by Rakku - Silver - 74.5 x 73 x 32.5cm

4.0 out of 5 stars great space saver, 22 Aug. 2010
This is pretty easy to assemble - it took me and my 11 year old (the flat pack wizard!) about 20 minutes between us. You do need a second pair of hands at one or two points.
It swallows up a lot of shoes although I'm doubtful about the maximum capacity stated - also I doubt it would take men's size 44 as stated - my UK size 8/42 trainers are probably the limit.

It looks fairly sturdy but I will have to wait and see whether it lives up to its promise. I suspect the plastic pockets and/or elastic straps may wear out rather sooner than the rest of it.
It fits beautifully into my understairs cupboard - I think this is the ideal location, rather than a bedroom, as (in this house anyway) people tend to leave their shoes all over the hall when they come in.
I won't put in my more expensive or delicate shoes, just keep it for everyday ones, trainers, etc - we have enough of those to fill it anyway!

The Edible Garden: How to Have Your Garden and Eat It
The Edible Garden: How to Have Your Garden and Eat It
by Alys Fowler

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely presentation, terrible punctuation!, 22 Jun. 2010
A beautiful book, which covers growing a more unusual range of plants than most vegetable gardening books. However, the poor punctuation and sentence structure is very distracting. Maybe it's a reflection of Ms Fowler's relaxed style of gardening in which plants are allowed to rub up against each other, but the use of strings of sentences separated by commas is tiresome.
And what is a 'chicken coup' (page 133)?
Is it a) a rebellion carried out by hens
b) a misspelled poultry house?
Surely BBC Books could stretch to a decent proofreader?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2014 11:08 AM GMT

The Phantom Tollbooth (Essential Modern Classics) (Collins Modern Classics)
The Phantom Tollbooth (Essential Modern Classics) (Collins Modern Classics)
by Norton Juster

5.0 out of 5 stars huge fun and no phantoms in sight..., 2 April 2010
I read this with my son (age 10) recently and we both loved it. Juster's writing will change the way you think about words, numbers, time , logic, everything! I am only annoyed that nobody gave me a copy when I was young. (I vaguely remember hearing the title and thinking it was a fantasy/ magical story, which put me off!!!!)

Le Creuset Classic Cast Iron Round Casserole, 26 cm - Volcanic
Le Creuset Classic Cast Iron Round Casserole, 26 cm - Volcanic

5.0 out of 5 stars the ultimate casserole, 13 Feb. 2009
I had one of these for 20 years before I dropped it on a slate floor and cracked it. Couldn't live without it so bought another one.
Great for large stews, especially good for making soup in.
Pricey but worth it.
Very robust as long as you don't drop it like i did!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3