Profile for R. H. Reeves > Reviews

Content by R. H. Reeves

R. H. Reeves "MGPB1936" (UK)

Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us
Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us
by Robert D. Hare

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 3 July 2007
For years I puzzled over my ex wifes lack of concern for the children and how she used them to manipulate others, lying for no reason and her amazing lack of concern for others. All our friend's believed this person was the most wonderful, charming person who would light up any room she entered. Almost every page I turned further mysteries were solved. This book was truly a revelation and has to some extent helped me to cope.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2011 12:14 PM GMT

Rebel Without A Cause [1955] [DVD]
Rebel Without A Cause [1955] [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Dean

2.0 out of 5 stars 16yr old reviewer, 20 Dec. 2006
Sorry to say that I didn't really enjoy this film. I'd heard a bit about James Dean eg. icon etc. Being a fan of old films, especially 30's to 60's, and iconic actors eg. Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn etc I watched this film.

I thought James Dean to be an excellent and extremely good looking guy to say the least but I honestly didn't enjoy it.

It didn't give the viewer of teenagers an honest portrayal and it wasn't really very gripping and couldn't relate with the characters.

Liked it for the fit lead and acting but..not much else.

Just thought I'd mention - am 16 yrs old and female.

Wouldn't recommend to people who were expecting something good because it's just a James Dean film.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2014 9:12 PM BST

Gone with the Wind [DVD] [1939]
Gone with the Wind [DVD] [1939]
Dvd ~ Clark Gable

4.0 out of 5 stars '1000_pages' listen up!, 20 Dec. 2006
I'd just like to mention to '1000_pages' that he/she have definately been misinformed of the history of the North and South America disputes.

First of all, the North are NOT noble, nor the South!

The North couldn't care about slavery! They couldn't care about the blacks because they treated them abominably in the North also.

I think you need to review your own readings of their history before making judgmental opinions on the internet without knowing the full story.

I am in no way trying to defend either party involved in the Civil War of America but I do believe in creating a fair picture, especially in history. You can't just group the North as the "goodies" and the South as the "baddies". That really is rather ignorant to be honest.

It seems as if you really don't know the truth and have been given a very misinformed outline of the situation.

I have seen the film and think it is excellent and well acted despite being a little long-winded.

Good for a night in but start early!

The Odyssey (Radio Collection)
The Odyssey (Radio Collection)
by Homer
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not very accurate., 18 Dec. 2006
I am studying 'The Odyssey' for a level and so know the story and characters VERY well and I listened to this because apparently some of the Radio 4 plays are quite good.

I thought it was a well acted adaptation of the epic poem except the way they portrayed Circe, the Aeaean Witch who turns Odysseus' men into pigs. She's made to look quite sensitive and loving eventually. This is not how she is at all! That personality should have been given to Calypso, whom Odysseus stays with for seven years.

Nevertheless, they had to make it within the set time so it's quite understandable. In any case, it might be quite misleading if you're studying it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2008 12:59 PM GMT