Profile for M. Bellenie > Reviews

Content by M. Bellenie

M. Bellenie (Halifax, England)

Life on Mars - Season 1 [DVD]
Life on Mars - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason O'Mara

4.0 out of 5 stars alternative reality, 17 Feb. 2010
I liked watching this late on FOX every Friday night but the ending annoyed me a lot!

I welcomed the differences between the two series although I thought that Harvey Keitel, great actor he is, was too old for the part. One thought why have they not included the first pilot with Jason Omara and Colm Meaney (Chief O'Brien in Star Trek DS9) as Gene Hunt? The clips I saw on youtube hinted at the antagonistic relationship that the UK versions had. I agree with another reviewer that Jason Omara got better as the season progressed.

My favourite characterisation was Detective Ray Carling (Michael Imperioli from the Sopranos)who seemed to inherit most of the narrow minded attitiudes both Ray Uk and Gene UK had but he still had some killer one liners!

The period detail, music and cinematography works well to maintain the mood and atmosphere of the drama. Shame on you ABC! Buy and enjoy!

You're Wondering Now
You're Wondering Now
by Paul Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy yourself, 17 Feb. 2010
This review is from: You're Wondering Now (Paperback)
Having found an old copy of this author's previous book on this top band in a local library I was looking forward to the update. Forget HMV or Waterstones "Are you sure there's a book out?" get it from Amazon!

This book brings back loads of memories Manchester Apollo, drawing Walt Jabsco on my english folder,dancing in front of the stalls along to a showing of 'Dance Craze' at the Odeon in Manchester, recording the rock goes to college gig on cassette and playing it constantly.

This a well researched, informative account of the hey day of the band and also the 'wilderness years' for the group members; for some more creative than others before the reunion. What I find impressive is how Paul Williams contextualises the social, political history that was happening at the time- I remember the riots- and how the music of the band reflected this.

The only other thing I would have liked would have been a list of tv appearances and how many gigs were filmed for 'Dance Craze'? Where's the footage now? Quibbles aside I recommend this book wholeheartedly!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2010 12:19 PM BST