Profile for Dafydd > Reviews

Vans Classic Slip-On Mens Leather Trainers Black Black - 11 UK
Vans Classic Slip-On Mens Leather Trainers Black Black - 11 UK
Offered by BlackLeaf

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy and smart., 22 Dec. 2015
These shoes were very comfy and could pass as shoes to wear to work whilst still having that skate shoe comfort. They didn't last very long but my shoes never do.

AcuLife Ear Wax Removal Syringe
AcuLife Ear Wax Removal Syringe

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes perseverance, is messy but really does work!, 22 Dec. 2015
I was a bit skeptical this would work but after 2 days of being almost completely deaf in one ear I decided to give it a go. I put half a bottle of Otex down my ear in the 24 hours it took to arrive. It then took about 20 injections of water to work, at one point all I could hear was water like I was in a river and the pressure in my ear was quite high, it felt like the water was behind my eyes as well - I was a bit worried at that point that I'd done some terrible damage to my ear but I persevered and with a few more goes my ear popped and I could hear again. By the sounds of it some people giving bad reviews gave up before it popped and ended up in a worse condition, it takes perseverance and you need to use drops first, also make sure you use warm water.

1800mm Cantilever Straight Desk - Length: 800 MM; Width: 1800 MM; Height: 725 MM; Color: Beech
Offered by 9to5 Supplies (VAT receipt supplied)

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels very strong and sturdy, great desk., 22 Dec. 2015
This desk is really strong and well made. I did, however, have to purchase a proper allen key to put it together as the one that came with it was nowhere near strong enough to get the screws in, I know absolutely nothing about DIY so I was about to drill the holes wider but the guy at screwfix recommend a set of allen keys instead and they did the trick. I love this desk it feels really well made and there's loads of room for a couple of monitors, a laptop and speakers.

Mackie CR4 4 inch Monitor Speakers - Black
Mackie CR4 4 inch Monitor Speakers - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the price, 13 Nov. 2015
I bought these to tide me over until I can afford some larger studio monitors and I am very happy with the sound they make. I was quite apprehensive about getting a 4" driver and obviously you can't expect the world at this price point or with this size driver but what they do, they do well. Actually I quite often forget I'm listening to such a small speaker as they do punch above their weight somewhat. My current soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile 192) lacks a headphone output so a cheap monitor option with headphones output was definitely the way to go in the interim.

Having said that I found the foam isolation pads absolutely necessary as the bass really boomed through my wooden desk without them, further to that I had to bung the bass ports on the back (used some kitchen roll) as the mid-bass was being reflected behind the monitor and the wall. The difference in sound after isolating the speakers and bunging the ports was like night and day, the boominess was largely gone and the speakers showed a much more accurate character, I imagine a bit of room treatment i.e. some foam on the back wall would eliminate the boominess altogether.

They're still a little heavy on the mid-bass and lack the lower punch you get from larger speakers but they do go loud without significant distortion, are reasonably accurate especially in the mids / highs and I like the fact you get headphones / auxiliary / RCA / balanced TRS connection options. I wouldn't recommend these as your main studio monitors even if you're just starting out but they would make a great addition to existing equipment as having as many tools in the toolkit is only a good thing. They do make great PC speakers that can double up as studio monitors for certain situations so I give them 4 stars, holding back one for over emphasis of the mid bass - I'd rather lose some bass to gain some accuracy but I suppose these are aimed at having cross market appeal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2016 1:58 AM GMT

Pink Rose Battery Powered LED Fairy Light String
Pink Rose Battery Powered LED Fairy Light String
Offered by Quality UK Wedding Supplies Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality., 18 Mar. 2015
I bought a lot of these for my wedding but half were broken by the end of the night. You also have to pay duty on them at the door as they're dispatched from Thailand. Give these a miss.

HRT MusicStreamer II
HRT MusicStreamer II

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good when it works but too much hassle., 18 Mar. 2015
This review is from: HRT MusicStreamer II (Electronics)
UPDATE: Since moving to Windows 10 all problems have been resolved and the streamer works perfectly and sounds great in all applications. I have therefore change this from a 2 to a 5 star review.

Previously Under Windows 7...
I had problems getting this to work with anything other than J-River media player using the WASAPI audio output mode and a certain buffering setting. Everything else produced glitches, same result on different USB ports, a powered USB Hub and even my wife's laptop. Having said that when it does work it sounds very nice, probably a tiny bit better than my MAUDIO soundcard which already sounds good, but not much better and not worth the money for something that is so finickity. If you want something that just works you really need to look elsewhere. I can't slate their support though, I got an immediate email response from their CTO (if I recall correctly) and he did try sort it out for me but no luck.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2015 2:02 PM GMT

Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer (Black)
Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer (Black)
Offered by Superfi

4.0 out of 5 stars Great woofer for the money., 18 Mar. 2015
I bought this woofer along with another much more expensive model from ebay and I prefer this one the most, it easily fills the room with well defined bass and doesn't sound boomy either.

Logitech G27 Force Feedback Wheel and Pedal Set (PS3/PC DVD)
Logitech G27 Force Feedback Wheel and Pedal Set (PS3/PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Wheel, 18 Mar. 2015
Excellent steering wheel, the force feedback and feel of the wheel is very nice. The gear stick feels a bit cheap maybe but it does the job and the pedals are fine. You don't get that realistic feel of the clutch like you do in a real car but at this price they're pretty nice.

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 245MB/s
SanDisk Extreme 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 245MB/s

5.0 out of 5 stars Still not bad though, to put that in context I just ..., 18 Mar. 2015
Nippy little drive, I tested it in windows 7 and got around 140MB/s, despite what some are saying I was able to make the stick bootable for installing Windows 8.1 except I had to use Rufus available here: https://rufus.akeo.ie/ as the Microsoft tool refused to work with a fixed drive. In Windows 8.1 the transfer speed dropped to around 90 - 100MB/s even though it does still seem to be using the USB3 drivers. Still not bad though, to put that in context I just copied a 3.2GB video file to the flash drive in 35 seconds.

Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick (PC/PS3)
Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick (PC/PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 18 Mar. 2015
You can't complain for the money, bought this to play Elite Dangerous and it does the job fine. It's not a premium bit of kit by a long shot but for an entry level HOTAS there are enough buttons and everything works just fine.

Page: 1 | 2