Profile for Dafydd > Reviews

Content by Dafydd

Dafydd (UK)

AOC I2757FH 27 inch Widescreen IPS LED Multimedia Monitor (1920x1080, 5ms, VGA, HDMI, Full HD 1080p, Screen+, i-Menu)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, 2 Nov 2013
After reading the reviews here and on the web I was quite excited to be buying this monitor. On the plus side it's large, slender, easy to put together and the picture quality is very good and doesn't suffer from ghosting when gaming. The problem for me is that blacks are still very much grey and light bleeds from the bezel. Apparently this is pretty much par for the course with IPS displays and there are many forums where people talk of sending their monitors back several times before finally giving up on IPS. When there is no black on the screen the monitor is great and viewing angle hardly noticeable, this changes in dark scenes where the grey cascades across the screen, it detracts from the gaming experience and the light bleed may not be enough for you to send it back but enough to regret your purchase. DVI would also have been nice but I knew that before I purchased and almost all graphics cards do HDMI nowadays.
As a low cost work monitor that's large and accurate in desktop applications this is a great buy. For gaming and movies although I've seen far, far worse monitors and this will certainly be a welcome upgrade to an ageing LCD don't expect the earth at this price point.

Set 3 Plain Pastry Cutters Stainless Steel by tala
Set 3 Plain Pastry Cutters Stainless Steel by tala

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little tool, 8 Jan 2012
I used these to make circular toast and they're great. Not so sharp you'll cut yourself on them but enough to do the job and you get three sizes which is handy. I would pay the little extra money to get these over the plastic ones as they are superior at cutting and they're still really cheap. All in all very happy with the purchase.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to, 5 Jan 2012
Initially the Pro-Winder feels a little plasticy and cheap, eg. the winder doesn't have a very smooth action but it's an invaluable little tool that does exactly what it's supposed to and so far it hasn't broken. The cutter is very sharp and although a little rattley the winder saves so much time compared to winding by hand I would never go without one of these again.

Elixir 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Sets Ultra-Thin Nanoweb Coating - Light-medium (0.012 - 0.056)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really worth the extra money., 5 Jan 2012
These strings sounded quite nice but I found them pretty cumbersome to play and the G snapped after 3 weeks when changing tuning up two semitones. I know that's to be expected when changing tuning but I can't really see any benefit to these more expensive strings over cheaper makes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2013 12:18 PM BST

Morphy Richards Accents 44730 4 Slice Toaster - Blue
Morphy Richards Accents 44730 4 Slice Toaster - Blue
Offered by Bright Sparks Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price., 5 Jan 2012
The toast comes out fairly evenly toasted, you get four slices and it looks pretty. It could be slightly faster I suppose but a little extra waiting time seems to be standard with the four slice toasters. All in all for the price I really can't complain.

D'Addario EXP16 EXP Coated Phosphor Bronze Light  (.012-.053) Acoustic Guitar Strings
D'Addario EXP16 EXP Coated Phosphor Bronze Light (.012-.053) Acoustic Guitar Strings

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Strings, 5 Jan 2012
I've been buying a few different brands lately and these have to be the best. I didn't find them to have a heavy feel as another reviewer mentioned and actually found I could get a lot more control with these than with the Elixers I had previously. They don't seem to have much of that metallic twangy sound you get with most new strings (which I quite like) but they don't sound dull either; the sound is crisp and balanced. Very pleased with this purchase and think I'll be sticking with this brand for quite a while.

The Ubuntu Beginner's Guide - Seventh Edition
The Ubuntu Beginner's Guide - Seventh Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book to get you started, 22 Jun 2011
The book is quite short and easy to read but gets right into the important stuff like using the command line, setting up users and permissions, installing software, editing config files and setting up various types of servers. By the time I started reading this book I'd already spent a couple of months dabbling with Ubuntu's GUI desktop and got a web server up and running in order to teach myself PHP/MySql. However, going back and learning what the commands I'd been typing actually meant (as opposed to just copying them from websites and youtube vids) and how the operating system I was using actually worked was really valuable. There are lots of books out there for those wanting to get started with linux but many are either too complicated from the outset or drip feed you information so slowly they get very boring very quickly. This little guide, however, is very well balanced taking you straight to the important topics and covering them in just enough detail to get you up and running. If you're looking for very detailed guides and in-depth configuration information then look elsewhere, likewise if you're a complete computer novice this probably isn't the book for you but if you know a fair amount about computers (probably from a windows background) and you want to get up and running with Ubuntu in no time then this is definitely a great little book to get you started. Oh and you can't argue with the price!