Profile for Tati > Reviews

Pitfalls and Possibilities: in Family History Research
Pitfalls and Possibilities: in Family History Research
by Pauline Litton

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite What Is On The Cover - But Much More!, 1 Dec 2014
This book was not what I expected. I had expected a series of magazine articles put together to make a book. The book cover suggests something light and colourful but what I got was something far more weighty and extremely valuable.

As a reasonably experienced family historian, this book has helped me to re-evaluate my research to date and pointed out areas that should be re-visited. It's also shown me which areas of family history I need to develop further knowledge of.

The 25 chapters cover many aspects of family history research. I read the book cover to cover, learned a great deal and will refer back to many chapters in the future.

The Villa in Italy
The Villa in Italy

4.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner, 26 Jun 2014
I couldn't put this book down; great holiday read, pure escapism!

New Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers (Pamela Cox) Book 7)
New Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers (Pamela Cox) Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars malory towers, 3 May 2014
I love malory towers.
I've reread ad reread them loads
First Darrel takes the stage and then Filicity can shine
I think they are exiting because Darrel is always losing her temper and is so sure of herself .But Filicity is always wondering what Darrel would have done for diffrent problems but soon learns to stand on her own two feet.

The Marriage Certificate
The Marriage Certificate

4.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 21 April 2014
This was a great holiday read and was well worth 99p ; ) It will probably appeal to many family historians!

Oxford Junior Illustrated Dictionary
Oxford Junior Illustrated Dictionary
by Oxford Dictionaries

4.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Flaw, 11 Jan 2014
My 9 year old has had this dictionary for a couple of years now. It's certainly an attractive book but has a fatal flaw. Almost none of the words she has looked up have had an entry, eg. today we find "emu" and "viola" do not feature. I presume this dictionary is intended to teach children dictionary skills only; thereafter it is quite frankly worse than useless!

By contrast, the Oxford Mini School Dictionary & Thesaurus [Paperback] has never let us down.

The Ingredients of Love
The Ingredients of Love

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been better.., 25 Nov 2013
I quite enjoyed this book as a light hearted piece of escapism and certainly got my moneys worth for the cost of about 50p.. BUT the book would have benefited from significantly better editing. The number of simple spelling mistakes in the book was totally unacceptable; one chapter of the book was littered with them.

So, could do better ; )

A Beginner's Guide To Acting English
A Beginner's Guide To Acting English

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 20 Nov 2013
A heart-warming, easy and funny read; the story of Iranian refugees brought up in London. Loved the references to life in Iran, the food and culture and laughed out loud a few times.

Night Train to Lisbon
Night Train to Lisbon
by Pascal Mercier

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read but a little long, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Night Train to Lisbon (Paperback)
The film, which I also enjoyed, inspired me to pick up this book. This was a good read which gave me plenty to think about. There are a number of spelling mistakes in the text and I suspect something of the richness of the text is lost in translation but this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book.

Tracing Your Merchant Navy Ancestors (Family History)
Tracing Your Merchant Navy Ancestors (Family History)
by Simon Wills

5.0 out of 5 stars An Informative and Enjoyable Read, 6 Jan 2013
This book has opened up many new avenues of research for my merchant navy ancestors and includes links to important sources both online and offline. It thoroughly describes what information is available in which archive, enabling me to plan further research.

Thoroughly recommended.

Tracing Your East End Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians (Family History)
Tracing Your East End Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians (Family History)
by Jane Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough and Readable Guide, 6 Dec 2012
This is a very thorough guide to assist in family history research in the east end of London. Incredibly informative, the book enables the family historian to pinpoint the nature and location of sources relevant to their own family history. Various immigrant groups and non conformist groups as well as occupations are also covered.

Page: 1 | 2