Profile for Kaygee > Reviews

Content by Kaygee

Kaygee (Cumbria)

Page: 1 | 2
Mens Cotton Fedora A232 (Medium 58cm)
Mens Cotton Fedora A232 (Medium 58cm)
Offered by HatsHatsHats

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it as a gift for someone else but it ..., 23 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Mens Cotton Fedora A232 (Apparel)
Got it as a gift for someone else but it seemed well made and fit perfectly came on time packaged in such a way that it wouldn't get crushed.

Raynox DCR-150 Macro Snap-on Adapter with 49 mm Front Filter Thread for 52-67 mm Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick shot macro lens, 7 Sept. 2013
This seems just what I wanted - attaches to the front of either of my Pansonic zoom lenses with different filter sizes allowing me to get up close.

Very useful if out walking and see a butterfly or other small and interesting creature. The adaptor attaches to the lens in the same way as a lens cap so very quick and you can get a shot before the creature flies or crawls away. As this usage means hand-held I went for the DCR-150. The DCR-250 will get you even closer and magnifies greater but I thought that might frighten things away, probably requires a tripod and increases lighting and depth of field difficulties.

I spent 20 minutes in the garden photographing bees and got some decent shots using my G 100-300 lens near the 100 end.(200 full frame equivalent). These pretty much filled the frame (and they move surprisingly fast at this magnification - so I got plenty of wasted shots of half bees or blurred ones). Note at this magnification there is very little depth of field and you need small apertures and plenty of light or high iso. I've uploaded a bee photo for you to see. Flowers would be much easier because longer exposure can be used as there is less movement.

Note these are not restrictions just of this particular lens but of physics, and expensive macro lenses have similar problems. In fact the pictures with this lens look really good and as this gives me much more flexability attached to a zoom I don't think I'll be forking out over 10x the price for a dedicated macro prime for a while. Of course changing to a macro lens out in the field can be quite tricky and gives a strong possibility of introducing dust into the camera that doesn't occur using this add-on lens. Extension tubes give similar problems. Dedicated macro lenses are usually around 100mm equivalent so quite good for portraits but not particularly suited to scenery.

It comes in almost a cube plastic lunch box style case which is quite large. The lens is separate from the adaptor into which it screws and has a stretchy cap over both ends. This in my opinion is the only fault with the design - you have to have remove the rear lens cap to screw it in and once in the adaptor there is no protection for back face of the lens. It would have been far better to have a compact case that protects the device while it is in the adaptor so that it could be thrown in a camera bag assembled and ready to go. The case or rear protector could even clip to the back of the adaptor using the same mechanism it uses to attach to the camera. Maybe Raynox could design one as an accessory.

As this would not affect studio work and doesn't detract from the overall performance of the lens I won't deduct a star and I recommend this as a very useful addition to the camera bag for getting a shot that would otherwise be missed or just playing with macro stuff for a bit of inspiration when the big stuff seems boring.
Comment Comment | Permalink

DURAGADGET Padded Camera Bag / Case With Multiple Pockets And Adjustable Shoulder Strap For Panasonic DMC G5 | Panasonic DMC-FZ200 | Panasonic DMC-GH3
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Lumix G6 case, 6 Sept. 2013
I like to travel light when I am out walking which is why I purchased the Panasonic Lumix G6 with the 14-140 lens. I thus wanted to a find a compact camera case that would fit this ideal. Most cases are designed for DSLRs which are too big, or point and shoot cameras and are thus too small. This bag fits the camera with this slightly longer lens perfectly.

The longer dimension is the width i.e. from one side pocket to the other. This means the camera fits in sideways rather than with the lens facing down as in most top-loader zoom cases. There is an internal removable divider which I have actually laid at the bottom of the bag to give a bit more protection to the base and it sticks there with the velcro. A net pocket with a zip inside the lid provides a secure location for spare memory cards and a filter or lens cap. The side pockets are perfect for a spare battery. The front pocket is larger and has an internal pocket to stop things falling out when the zip is fully open which again is plenty big enough to get a few small accessories in - I currently have a Raynox DCR150 with its adaptor in there.

Although it comes with a detachable shoulder strap - prefer to wear it on my belt and this is where this case excels. It has two straps and I find this makes it feel a lot more secure and keeps it closer to the body so its not wobbling about when I walk. This configuration also means that it is covered by my coat if it rains.

I have been using it for a couple of months now and it show no sign of stitching failing or any other damage so it is tough and well made. At the price I was able to purchase this case for the 14-140 lens and another Dura Gadget case for the much larger 100-300 lens, so that I don't have to carry a bigger case than necessary.

I have uploaded an image to show how the Lumix G6 fits inside. but I'm sure it would be useful for other small cameras.

Anti-Static Camera Photo Video Cleaning Clean Air Dust Blower Brush
Anti-Static Camera Photo Video Cleaning Clean Air Dust Blower Brush
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars A brush that blows, 5 Sept. 2013
Not much to say about this really - it is a soft brush with a rubber bulb that when you squeeze it forces air between the bristles. If you have a speck of dust on your lens you can blow it off and if it is stuck you can give it a gentle brush. The bulb detaches from the brush to give a more direct jet of air or allowing you to wash the brush separately.

Can't see that a more expensive one of the same design would be any better. It could be improved by a cap or sleeve to go over the bristles when not in use to keep it clean and a bigger bulb would squirt more air but also make the product larger and less easy to fit in a camera bag. Reviewing the product as it is - couldn't expect more for the price.

German Army Issue Flecktarn Pattern Unlined Combat Jacket M
German Army Issue Flecktarn Pattern Unlined Combat Jacket M
Offered by CISSBURY RETAIL

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strong outdoor jacket, 5 Sept. 2013
Bought this jacket hoping to do some wildlife photography and was pleasantly surprised how good it is.

So what did I get? It is what it states - a re-issue i.e. it has been worn before - but the only way you can tell is by debris in the pockets - my CSI skills would suggest from the dust, sand and seeds that someone crawled with their pockets open. It is possibly slightly faded from being washed but no signs of wear and tear.

THE FIT: I am only 5'4" with a 38" chest so I ordered the medium size - it is a very good fit. There is room to get a double fleece underneath for winter but that makes it quite a snug fit. The arms were possibly an inch or so longer than perfect but the velcro cuffs negate this as a problem. If you are much taller they might be short. The jacket extends to half way down my thighs.

ACCESSORIES: The jacket fastens with a 3/4 zip which extends from the neck to the belt but the fold over flap has metal press-studs, two of which extend below the zip to close the bottom of the jacket. There is a draw cord around the bottom hem of the jacket to pull it tighter around the legs and another internal one at waist height. Another draw cord goes around the hood and all the cords have spring lock toggles so you can set and forget them. On top of the shoulders are straps for epaulettes or to stick a cap under closed with velcro. Beneath each armpit are zips that open 4.5" to act as vents. There is also a velcro strip above the left top pocket and a shield on the right arm for id badges but this is the woolly side of the velcro and so won't catch on anything. Press-studs and zip fasteners are metal but the zips are smooth sliding nylon.

POCKETS: There are two zipped pockets on either side which when opened are perfect for sticking cold hands in. These are actuall quite large and extend below the zip so stuff won't easily fall out and are pleated inside to allow for expansion. There are two pockets on the breast which have twin press-stud flaps and these are pleated on the outside for expansion on the outside and bottom edge. Inside the left top pocket are two pen holder pockets. Inside the jacket on the left breast is another pocket with a velcro closure that happens to be big enough to take my Kindle so probably a 7" tablet. There is also a pocket on the left upper arm with a press-stud flap - so you won't be short of somewhere to put stuff as long as you can remember which pocket you put it in.

FABRIC: According to the label inside it is 65% cotton and 35% Polyester and can be washed at 60 degrees. The label also indicates that my jacket was only made in 2011. It feels like a very strong canvas but isn't too heavy. It would no doubt get heavier when wet but it is possible to buy cotton proofing wash-in conditioner that would make it water repellent.

CONCLUSION: Of course as re-issue stuff there is no guarantee that someone else would get exactly the same conditon as mine but as its not the sort of jacket you go to a wedding in, at the price, its well worth the risk as a jacket for walking the dogs, fishing or working in the garden. Just remember if you take it off don't put it down because the camouflage is so good you might not find it again.

Original Album Series
Original Album Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic music Fantastic deal, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
What you get is 5 albums by the Corrs on CD in minimal packaging. Each album is in a cardboard slip folder and they are held together in a thin card box.
But what surprised me was not how many tracks you got for the price but the shear quality of those tracks. I had heard the Corrs before and had a copy of their unplugged album which had reworkings of some of their best known tracks. However, they are all such brilliant musicians that I found I really enjoyed every track on this collection, which I have now listened to several times. I have also realised what a brilliant singer Andrea is - with every word enunciated clearly but still containing the emotion.

There is also quite a range of styles on this collection but mainly centering around well constructed ballads with a Celtic feel - which I like - but obviously if you only like hip hop or D n B then this probably not for you :-) However, if you have recently come to the pop folk scene with the likes of the Mumfords, Ellie Goulding, Jake Bugg etc you might want to check out this group that showed how the musicality of traditional roots can produce mainstream success.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 4:09 PM BST

Panasonic SC-PMX5DBEBS 120W DAB Micro System with iPhone/iPod Dock
Panasonic SC-PMX5DBEBS 120W DAB Micro System with iPhone/iPod Dock

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little HiFi with wake up timer, 12 May 2013
Length:: 7:49 Mins

I think this HiFi is superb but the instruction manual that came with it is poor (just one large sheet of paper). The main reason I got it was to wake me up in the morning with some decent music but details of how the timer worked in all these types of HiFi were sketchy at best. I took a chance and this one does what I hoped for. The Panasonic video mentions AM radio but this isn't present on my version. So I thought I'd do an unboxing video and show you how to set it up and explain a few of the features at the same time. One feature I forgot in the video is an auto-off function - So it is possible to listen to CD at night and half an hour after it finishes the unit automatically goes into standby.
I've had this unit several weeks now and I still like it as much as when I first got it. I can't fault the sound for this size of device but then I'm not one to turn it up to full. I do listen to a wide range of styles all of which it reproduced with clear, well separated sounds.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 2:12 PM GMT

Square Dimmable Chrome And White Frosted Glass Touch Table Bedside Lamp
Square Dimmable Chrome And White Frosted Glass Touch Table Bedside Lamp
Offered by The Light Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect lamp for bedside, 9 Mar. 2013
This lamp is exactly as described and works perfectly. The glass shade is milky white, frosted glass with a marbling effect that is opaque even on the brightest setting. THE SHADE DOES SECURE TO THE BASE SECURELY using the supplied tool that allows you to reach down inside the shade to tighten the plastic fixture. However, the light is designed to be configured in two different formats. A chromed spacer that allows the shade to float above the base and raises the height 15mm above the advertised height can be removed so the shade screws directly to the base as shown in the main photo.

In operation you touch the base to turn on the bulb:
The first touch emits a gentle yellowish glow which would be barely strong enough to read by.
The second touch brightens and whitens the light to one which would be okay to read by without lighting the whole room.
The third touch gives quite bright white light that lights the room as you would expect from a 40w bulb.
The fourth touch switches the lamp back off.
-The only problem with this system is that if you wanted to just turn the lamp on dim so as not to wake your partner at some point you have to turn it up to bright for a moment before switching off.
The only other downside I could see would be that being made of glass it wouldn't be suitable for a kids room in case it got knocked over and broken.
I've only had the unit a few days but having ordered one to check it was what I wanted, I immediatley ordered another which has already arrived giving me a matching pair of bedside lamps but it would also would be ok used as a single lamp on a side cabinet or such.

The lamp is small but that is what I wanted which is why I checked the dimensions specified before ordering.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Fujifilm FinePix T200 Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little snapper, 8 Nov. 2011
Only had this a couple of days but have found it a very capable little camera in most situations. I had seen some professional reviews claiming this produced quite brilliant photos but then a couple of user reviews that dismissed them as rubbish. I found the photos to be stunningly clear and vivid. They have little noise, strong colours, good contrast and very little fringing at the margins of light and dark but there was occasionally some vignetting with a little darkness in the corners. Macros came out well and the 10x optical zoom certainly gave me access to shots I would have missed with my old 3x compact.

I think the discrepency lies with the fact that it uses quite aggressive noise reduction which means that noise doesn't creep into photos until quite high ISO ratings. But, if you blow the photos up to a size where you can see pixel for pixel then you see an almost impressionistic painterly effect on areas of texture such as grass. But then why would you do this with 14 million pixel resolution - you should never need to blow it up this big. The extra pixels help to give smoother lines and subtle gradations of colour. Shown on a 46" 1080 TV screen the photos look great, the same would apply if you show them on a photo sharing site because no-one is going to view them on a 14M Pixel screen and I imagine they would print out at A4 size without a problem. If you want better you should go for a DSLR with a bigger sensor (and the big heavy expensive lenses) but that's like comparing a Fiat with a Ferrari.

The first time I was playing with it in the house the battery did seem to drain quickly but possibly this was due to leaving on it whilst fiddling with the menus and taking several flash photos. After taking many more photos outdoors and recharging the battery a couple of times it no longer seemed a problem. The battery charged each time within an hour or two and a spare is about £8.00

There does seem to be an occasional problem when the Auto-focus doesn't latch on to anything (and an overide to set it at infinity would have been handy) but this only happened a couple of times in 2 days and was overcome in one instance by locking focus on a different section of the scene and in another by switching to night-shot because it was approaching twilight.

Being able to easily program your favourite scene settings onto 2 of the function dial positions is fantastic. I normally have one set to the excellent panorama setting and the other set to action shot (so you can immediately capture the action instead of having to search through menus for the right setting) but on bon-fire nght I set one to the firework scene and the other to night-shot. The auto scene select function can be left on for most shots making it a great point and shoot camera for most situations.

I still haven't had chance to read the manual that comes on the disk or even explore all the menus so there may be more features I haven't explored but most functions seem easy to grasp if you've used a digital camera before.

I bought the camera as a suppliment to a larger more expensive camera - as a pocketable camera that I could have on me most of the time, that would still have enough features to capture the event in most situations - it seems perfect for the job. I did consider a couple of other alternatives including the Sony dsc-hx9v but this is nearly 3 times the price and nearly 100g heavier and I felt that was too much for my take everywhere second camera.

If you are a serious photographer and want a camera that will do everything then look elsewhere. If you don't expect miracles from a cheap tiny camera then you may be pleasantly surprised by how good the Fujifilm Finepix T200 can be.
Comment Comment | Permalink

BDC0101eva New first2savvv semi-hard black camera case for FUJIFILM FinePix T200

4.0 out of 5 stars neat and functional, 8 Nov. 2011
For the price it is a very good case. Wasn't sure if this was really made for the Fuji T200 as an identical case seemed to be available for many other models - but it certainly fits the camera snugly and is sturdy enough to provide quite good protection against knocks and drops. Although the magnetic catch can flip open accidently the camera won't fall out unless you are upside down on some aggressive thrill ride because the fit is so tight. One slight downer is a very strong smell but this subsides after a few days. Also no pocket for memory card or spare battery but then this would have increased its size defeating the object of having such a small camera.

Page: 1 | 2