Profile for T. Satchwell > Reviews

Content by T. Satchwell

T. Satchwell (A Tower in the Heart of London.......)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The History of Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
The History of Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
by Anthony Davie
Price: 11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Diggin' The New, 22 Jan 2013
Just over ten years since Joe Strummer died..and his presence is still felt across the world by young and old!
While copying some old vhs to digital over Christmas..I came across the news footage and tributes that I recorded that day.
So..this book first appeared as Joe Strummer and the "Mescaleros": Vision of a Homeland which at the time
I remember enjoying as it fills in gaps in the Joe/Clash story, looking at events through the eyes of those involved at the time.
"The History.."...is an update of this ...with EXTRAS!! So we get an update from the writer since the last version, plus a detailed gig list of
EVERY mescies show.
What really makes a difference, and why even if you have "Vision Of A Homeland", this is worth getting...is the inclusion of a range of "Punters" stories.
These come from around the world..and from fans old and new with their thoughts and experiences.
Re reading the stories and accounts of the band and crew over the life of the Mescaleros really brings home the fact that bands are people...the same as you and me..with their
faults, weaknesses...addictions!! expectations, strengths and perseverance.

For Collectors...(Like me)...you can also get Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros: New and Previously Unpublished Photographs

Great Stuff!!

D'Addario Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Accessories Essentials Pack
D'Addario Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Accessories Essentials Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Strummer Central, 15 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice little pack....great for my son who is learning guitar at school.
A pack of plectrums..medium....a string winder and pliers combo.
There is a nice little tuner with battery!! which clips to the headstock...and a set of strings..which are good quality...unlike other sets offered by D'Addario... D'Addario Planet Waves Electric Guitar Accessories Essentials Pack
no strap in this one

More detailed review of accessories in review of the electric guitar pack!!

THE RISE AND FALL OF THE CLASH
THE RISE AND FALL OF THE CLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars Et tu Bernie.......!!!!!!!, 11 Jan 2013
Still no official Uk Release date for this.....but a very kind soul brought back a copy from Japan for me.
I was lucky enough to see the film at one of the showings...so I knew what I was getting with this.
The format is along the lines of the very fine Joe Strummer: the Future Is Unwritten [DVD]
Lots of personal stories and opinions from people who were around the clash during the later years before it all came to end. There are some pretty emotionally charged interviews.....compelling stuff.
Some familiar faces and some not so familiar who have not given their side of the story before.
If you are a clash fan .... with a collection ...and a deep interest in the band.......you have to have this.
Not wishing to repeat myself too much....
I reviewed the accompanying bookThe Rise and Fall of The Clash...and as with the book of the film......it is an important addition for what i term "Clashademics"...or should it be clashaholics...
Filling in some important gaps in the clash story......it is also well worth getting hold of Out of Control: The Last Days of "The Clash"......which i believe was one of the inspirations for the film.
The film itself follows a logical timeline from topper being sacked...followed by mick.....the hiring of the new guys
The great Bernie debate......the cut the crap album...and the final demise.
I guess a lot of people want to remember the band as the classic line up when they truly were the only band that mattered.......and in some ways the film is pretty sad...but it does kind of draw a line of sorts under the story.
The dvd has a few minutes of "extras"....a short interview with the director..and a few bits that didn't make the final cut

D'Addario Planet Waves Electric Guitar Accessories Players Pack
D'Addario Planet Waves Electric Guitar Accessories Players Pack
Price: 45.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't point your finger at at the Guitar Man....., 31 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have reviewed most of the components of this set in D'Addario Planet Waves Electric Guitar Accessories Essentials Pack..so that's the 10m guitar lead, and the handy little tuner...the string clippers and winder..
So this set has three sets of the same standard strings....which as in other review are pretty good....nice and bright and colour coded....
and the strap is leather and adjustable...so in the next class really.
I think these sets are pretty good value..... nice gift for a guitar player....whether a beginner or regular player..

The Rise and Fall of The Clash
The Rise and Fall of The Clash
Price: 3.58

5.0 out of 5 stars When its christmas out in ho chi minh city......, 31 Dec 2012
Well...once again...i just couldn't wait........not sure i am into this kindle lark....i do love the feel of real paper and turning a page........the "flick" is new to me...
Ordered the luddite version as well as kindle...because i just had to start this one right away.

So........what do we get........a fantastic portrait shot of Joe on the cover........never seen that one before,!,,
First part is the story of how the film was made....the trials and tribulations.....blown out interviews...email rows with Bernie Rhodes......a lot of people willing to chip in......and some who would not.....
I was privilidged to see the film ...where else...under the westway...in the summer......i queued up and paid a fiver...just like the old days.....no online booking nonsense..and exorbitant fees....
It was an event for me...as many of the film..and now book contributors were there...authors,blockheads,bandmates..collaborators, punks pimps and good time girls.
So it is good to read about how it got from idea to celluloid....if that is what folks still use.......

Middle section.......forgive me i am digitally disorientated.....can't wait for my paper version...
We get some b and w pics.....some i have seen before,..and a few not....like the clash mark 2 publicity shots...but most have been issued as record company press photos i believe.
Special mention to JOE STRENO...who has a few pics published here.......he has some fantastic pictures...originally colour shots of live stuff...and the ones here reproduced in black and white.
He has loads of great pictures and last time i heard...looking for some backing to get a photo book out....maybe he should try a "book pledge" you would not be disappointed..

Third section......is the transcript from the film with all the quotes and transcript of the film...which has some revealing and honest stuff in there.
I guess if you haven't seen the film already...even more informing...What is interesting about this also is there are some names I am not familiar with....who all played their part in The Story of the Clash.....so all interesting stuff

Ok....so thee we have it....crazy that the dvd is only out in japan so far.......maybe the book and dvd tie in would have been good.....but if like me you are skint after christmas......best to stagger it a bit..

So one important question raised by the author/film maker........can there be another book about the clash....and it is a valid question.....i have read them all...i think.....but what else can be done......i see another one on amazon due in 2013.......I fear only a Mick Jones autobiography would give us anything like some horses mouth info...i don't think Paul is interested!!!!!!!!

So...two further plugs for new years reading.....another great historical picture collection....
A Permanent Record: Joe Strummer with The 101'ers/Clash/Latino Rockabilly War/+The Slits

And... there is a new version of this mighty fine book about JS and the mescies....with a whole section of fan stories...and updated......it is not on amazon yet...but is well worth investing in.....(mines a pint Ant.....!!!!!!!)
Joe Strummer and the "Mescaleros": Vision of a Homeland

OK...Forgive my ramblings...this book is also "essential clash".......it goes along with the Out of Control: The Last Days of "The Clash" book as important historical data for Clash-ademics.....
Buy or die..........
Breaking breaking...this news just in.....
Dvd of the film now out in japan...review here if you search in films and tv...you should find it..

D'Addario Planet Waves Electric Guitar Accessories Essentials Pack
D'Addario Planet Waves Electric Guitar Accessories Essentials Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Heaven, 29 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little set.....I got this for my son..who is learning guitar at school..and has a cheap electric as well as a loaned acoustic.
So what do you get.... a set of standard strings..nickel wound...light gauge..round wound...they are quite bright sounding...and what is a nice touch is that that they are colour coded...so easy to work out your e from your G string!!!!

So..when you are putting on the strings....you need to trim the length...so they have included a little set of pliers for this...on one handle there is a string winder which sits on the tuning key...and away you go.

So once they are on...you need to tune them....and here they included a small clip on digital tuner....battery included!!! You look at it and think it is a bit cheap looking...but it does the job...so full marks for that.
When your tuned up...you got to strum it!!!...so also get a little pack of plectrums...medium gauge...

and then.....plug it into your amp...10m cable does the job here..probably not the highest quality...but again..it does the job....
and finally a pretty sturdy adjustable strap...which is great ...you can go from Haircut 100 to Johnny Ramone.......chest or down to your knees..for the uninitiated!!!

Fabulous !!! Krank it up to 11....no you don't get a Marshall stack with this....which is a shame!!!

Soehnle 63308 Solar Sense Digital Solar Personal Bathroom Scale
Soehnle 63308 Solar Sense Digital Solar Personal Bathroom Scale
Offered by AddTronic GmbH
Price: 19.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Sun is shining!!!!!, 27 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These scales are incredibly light......not like the scales of old.
The base is clear perspex which seems very strong. After opening the package...it only took a few seconds for the digital scales to come on after getting a burst of light to kick of the solar power.
I hopped on and got a reading..which was about what I though I weighed......so no surprises there.
There is a little button on the base which lets yout switch from stones......pounds....and kilos.
So far very happy with these....I don't think they are going to get a lot of abuse....so I am hoping they will last us a few years yet.

Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver
Braun Series 5 5030s-5 Electric Shaver
Price: 94.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I've got the power......!!!, 17 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a chunky razor ...it is quite heavy in your hand....and doesn't have such a natural shape to hold like my previous shavers...
When you switch it on ...you really feel like it has power...quite noisy.
This is a foil shaver ...and I haven't used one of these for a long while. So the "shave" is a very different experience....it doesn't to be such a smooth action as the twin and triple head shavers I have had.

It does the job...don't get me wrong.....and maybe I will learn to love it over time.
Comes in a useful little bag for when you go away...overall a good product

by Julian Yewdall

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star Rock 'n' Roll Petrol, 5 Dec 2012
So...a five star review.
This is a really nice collection of b/w pictures...which expands on the 1992 Joe Strummer with the "101'ers" and the "Clash", 1974-76
Some pictures here in this new larger format book are from the earlier collection..but some not..and there are extras from the 101'ers and Early Clash shots.
So with this..you also get some great pictures of the Slits in performance...and in the kitchen...'Ari Up with that tea......!
and....some nice shots of Joe with Latino Rockabilly War........Drummer??? ..Jack Irons I believe...but I'm sure someone can confirm..
A nice shot of Mr Johnny Green..I've met him a few times...and he's a gent!!...so hey...check these out two if you haven't already...Push Yourself Just A Little Bit More: Backstage at Le Tour de France: Backstage at the Tour De France
A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with the Clash

In the later half of the book..we get some Strummerville festival pics.....Mick Jones and others.....and some pictures of the very fine exhibition which the author organised Past Present and Future in 2005..jeeez was that 7 years ago....how time flies...and the Joe Strummer Subway..
So this is a nice collection from early days right up to date...not much material after I guess Rude Boy era...but maybe that is covered by other books like the Bob Gruen and this..
The Clash: Before and After

All in All A Very Nice addition to my Clash/Joe Collection....one for the fans for sure...and ....Christmas Is Coming......and you won't have seen some of these pictures anywhere else ..well published....as far as I can tell

Top Work Mr Y!!

Adventures Of A Waterboy
Adventures Of A Waterboy
by Mike Scott
Price: 10.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Pretty Face.....on a Strange Boat...., 23 Nov 2012
This is a great read.....I'm always reading music biogs...and this is a goody.
I'm not a total Waterboys/Mike Scott disciple...but he has always interested me as an artist....I have most of the waterboys stuff.
A very reflective look at a varied and intersting career....it's all about...ccchhh cchhh cchanges...new directions and influences.
In some ways ...I'm reminded of Bowie and his various relocations to get new inspiration and soak up some new vibes.
I have always been interested in the "Another Pretty Face" era...and I guess I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a bit more about this...I remember seeing a gig review in the Nme for them...and was intrigued.....
Anyway...the book did good work and I have since tracked down the early recordings to satisfy my curiosity.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20