Profile for Kathryn Sinclair > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Bluebell, Cockleshell, 123
Bluebell, Cockleshell, 123

5.0 out of 5 stars A snippet of childhood fun, for all ages :), 23 July 2014
I came across this song (and all the songs on this album) on the recent BBC4 programme "A Century in Film: From Scotland with Love", fell in love with it, but feared it would be impossible to find. And yet, only a day later, I read a review for this album, and here it is!

This is the most lovely little muddling of several childhood skipping rhymes, performed in a way that is both traditional (this could easily be heard any time from the 1910s to the 1980s) and oddly modern, and I'm sure I'm not the only adult who finds it chimes with my inner-child, producing a wave of instant, addictive nostalgia.
And it is addictive - being quite a short little ditty (if only it was twice the length!), you want to play it over and over again. Also, even though a few of the lyrics have yet to become clear, I was singing along to most of them on only the second listening!

I can easily see this becoming a staple of current playground games, if only enough adults introduce it to their children.

On a side note, this soundtrack was my first introduction to the work of King Creosote (though I had heard the name before), and I am impressed with his range of styles and songwriting skills. If you are unsure where to begin with him, start with this song.
I also purchased two instrumental tracks from this album: 'Crystal 8s' and 'A Prairie Tale', the first having a certain etherial quality to it, and the second a lamenting Scottish Folk feel.

25 Years - The Chain
25 Years - The Chain

5.0 out of 5 stars Track-list clarification, 18 July 2012
This review is from: 25 Years - The Chain (Audio CD)
I'm curious about some of Mr Prizeman's info here {I had the original, 1992 edition}, so let's clear-up a few things...
'Heart of Stone' is NOT by Stevie and Rick - it's a Christine McVie song. Also, Stevie's first 'Greatest Hits' is titled "Timespace".

There are more 'exclusive' tracks than those mentioned - the live songs are 'Stand Back', 'I'm So Afraid', 'Not That Funny', and 'Monday Morning'. The previously unreleased studio tracks are - 'Paper Doll' (SN), 'Love Shines' (CMcV), 'Heart of Stone' (CMcV), 'Make Me a Mask'(LB), 'Goodbye Angel' (LB), 'Teen Beat' (LB), and 'Trinity' (Danny Kirwan).

'Isn't it Midnight' is not a "version before Buckingham added his guitar parts", but an actual alternative take, with the keyboards to the fore {it is, after all, a Christine McVie song!}.
It has been said that this version of 'Silver Springs' is not the same one which made in onto the remaster / re-issue of "Rumours" - this is likely the b-side single version, as it is about 20 seconds shorter.
Many of the other songs are 'alternative mixes', though with some it is hard to hear much difference to the versions we know, but on a few it is clear - particularly the 'USC intro mix' of 'Tusk'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2012 11:43 AM BST

Past Times With Good Company (Ltd Edition)
Past Times With Good Company (Ltd Edition)
Offered by hotshotrecordsgermany

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful live performance, blending Rock and Renaissance, 21 April 2009
I get the feeling the other two reviewers must have been listening to a different album, because I can hear nothing wrong in these performances. And DVDs are all very well, but you can't sing-along to them whilst driving!

Firstly, to clarify: this is a 2CD limited edition with 2 bonus tracks {which Amazon has failed to mention}, though they are not listed on the CD cover. It is presented like a bound book, complete with pages of photos and lyrics, with each disc in a slipcase at each end. The main album was recorded live in Groningen, Holland, with the bonus acoustic version of 'Fires at Midnight' recorded in Solingen.

CD 1 :

Durch den Wald zum Bachhaus - 3:12
Writing on the Wall - 6:01
Fires at Midnight (bonus - live acoustic version) - 9:50
Home Again (bonus - Greek studio version ~ yes, sung in Greek!) - 5:17

I purchased this album when I was still a new Blackmore's Night listener ~ in fact, I had only just finished playing their first 3 studio albums, and wanted to hear them live. I was not disappointed.

The absolute highlight of this album is the 12 minute version of the beautiful 'Fires at Midnight' ~ it starts off quite light, builds a little, drops back down to a wonderful lilting instrumental section (excellent violin work), before building again to a rousing finish.

The cover of '16th Century Greensleeves' is also well worth hearing, and has been performed in a style that suits both the song and the band. It is also lovely to have the short-but-sweet cover of 'Soldier of Fortune' (though they left-out a verse). The intro to 'Morning Star' again makes good use of their violinist (at this time, Chris Devine).

All in all, if you are a fan of Blackmore's Night, and like music you can sing-along to (or, like many of us in Britain, haven't had the chance to see them in concert), then this is a CD you will love.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2011 10:20 PM GMT

Secret Voyage
Secret Voyage

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing blend of all that has come before..., 1 July 2008
This review is from: Secret Voyage (Audio CD)
If you are a Blackmore's Night fan, you will not want to miss this album.

Firstly, the sound of this album seems to be a combination of the previous ones ~ I can hear elements of all 5 other studio albums, and I mean that in a very good way. There is a 'darkness' to it ~ a mix of "Shadow of the Moon" and "Village Lanterne" (especially a flavour of 'Child In Time').

Some of the songs on this album seem more introspective and 'deep' in places ~ Candice has come back to earlier themes with her lyrics, but it is as though she is looking at these subjects from a different perspective.

God Bless the Keg :
It starts off with a harpsichord sound, and seems rather 'French Revolution' in tone, and then the rest of the orchestration comes in. Just when you think it is finished, you are left with this beautiful, dark, deep organ (reminds me of Bach), and there's also what appears to be Gregorian chanting right at the end. Track 1 runs straight into track 2 ~

Locked Within the Crystal Ball :
A wonderfully powerful song {just over 8 minutes long} ~ I can almost picture that ship from the front cover being tossed on the waves, hear the thunder and see the lightning! The sound is rather like 'Just Call My Name' and 'I Guess It Doesn't Matter Anymore', because of the drums. There are two slightly lighter instrumental breaks, the first one reminds me rather of 1980's era Clannad... until Ritchie's guitar comes back in! And the second one is much more renaissance in style ~ *very* nice. Another nice little touch is that the lyrics very briefly reference track 7 : 'The Circle'.

Gilded Cage :
Similar in style to both 'No Second Chance', 'Castles and Dreams', and, slightly, 'Ghost of a Rose'. Lots of lovely violin on this one :)

Toast to Tomorrow :
A cross between Mary Hopkin's 'Those Were the Days', and a Jewish wedding! Oh, and 'Home Again'! Very much like a German drinking song ~ the sort of thing to get everyone clapping and singing along. Thankfully, it's much more 'All For One' than 'Olde Mill Inn' {I'm afraid I just couldn't stand 'Olde Mill Inn'}.

Prince Waldecks Galliard :
A lovely instrumental. I can only describe it as a blend of these previous pieces, but also with something unique about it : 'Minstrel Hall', 'Memmingen', 'Fayre Thee Well', 'Village Dance'.

Rainbow Eyes :
I hadn't gotten around to listening to the original, but because of the let-down I felt when I heard the original of 'Sixteenth Century Greensleeves' AFTER hearing BN's amazing live cover {on "Past Times with Good Company"}, I thought I'd better hear it first.
Okay. The original is *GLORIOUS*! That guitar work! That vocal! That flute! You can clearly see {hear?!} the direction Ritchie was destined to head in...
Now, the BN version...
Well, they've given it a more 'rock' sound, but they are using a nice renaissance style drum for the beat, so it is more in their 'folky' style.
Another one with a hint of 'No Second Chance', and a dash of 'Way to Mandalay'. It is beautiful (though the original is still outstanding) ~ I'm sure Rainbow fans won't be disappointed with it :)

The Circle :
The lyrics to this are very inspiring. A very nice bass-line, lots of chanter and {possibly} hurdy-gurdy. There's a hint of 'Under A Violet Moon' and '25 Years' in there, and 'Way to Mandalay' and 'Cartouche'. And maybe a little hint of that 'sway' from 'Village on the Sand'!
This is one of those 'introspective' songs I was refering to...

Sister Gypsy :
Slightly similar to 'Ocean Gypsy' {which was a cover of a Renaissance [Annie Haslam's band] song}, and rather like 'Renaissance Fair'. The drum-beat and tambourine is rather like in their version of 'The Times They Are A'Changin''.

Can't Help Falling In Love :
Despite what some other reviewers have said, I think Elvis would approve!
Very much a 'rock' interpretation, but it sounds so good! Though I can't think of any of their previous songs that this reminds me of...
The band say this cover came about when they were having a sing-song in the pub!

Peasants Promise :
This opens with a beautiful acoustic guitar, and a vocal that reminds me a
little of 'Faerie Queen'. It's an acoustic song, but quite busy ~ it's very renaissance / medieval in sound. If you've got {and I hope you have!} the b-side track 'Sake of Song' {from the 'The Times They Are A'Changin'' single}, it's a *little* like that. They've used a renaissance drum (which sounds a bit like good bodhran playing), violin, chanters, mandolin, shawms, tambourine, and various other similar instruments. It's very addictive, and very much a song to lift the spirits and get everyone dancing :)

Far Far Away :
A similar sound to 'Be Mine Tonight', crossed with 'Castles and Dreams'. This is one of those songs to just lay-back and drift-away with...

Empty Words :
This one has a slight similarity to 'Waiting Just For You', and 'Once in a Million Years'. A very nice song to end with...

Although a few of the tracks on this album could certainly be described as 'weaker' (particularly the last two), they are still good, and for me this is the only BN album other than "Ghost of a Rose" where I can honestly say I like (though not 'love') every song. I will be critical and admit that it is not their best album, but there are 5 excellent tracks (1, 2, 6, 7, 10) which make it well worth buying (and merit the 5 stars!).

I only hope Candice and Ritchie will soon be giving us a few b-sides or live performances {or both} to go with it...
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2013 9:24 PM GMT

One Of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing [DVD]
One Of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Ustinov

5.0 out of 5 stars Still funny 20 years on!, 24 Mar. 2007
I first saw this film when I was about 5 ~ I'm now 25 and still find it wonderful. It is definately suitable for adults as well as children.

The previous reviewer has given a great overview of the plot, so I will just add this:

It is set in 1920's London. Lord Southmere has escaped China with a microfilm containing the secret of 'Lotus X', but must prevent the Chinese from stealing it back.

After falling from one of the dinosaur skeletons in the Natural History Museum {"But was it the diplodocus or the brontesaurus?"}, and being held prisoner by Hnup Wan, he confides all in 'Nanny' {Hettie}. But he keeps protesting that he is not a spy, just "An ordinary businessman."

Hettie enlists the help of a couple of fellow Nannies, including young Susan who is something of a tomboy! But despite her best efforts, not only can Hettie not find the microfilm, she fails to keep their suspicious activities from her young charges ~ Lord Castleberry and Truscott. These two befriend Hnup Wan {who Hettie recognises as the son of the Chinese ambasador, and procedes to intimidate him!}, seeing a way to make some money.

But, all comes well in the end {I won't spoil it by telling you!}.

Peter Ustinov and Helen Hayes play off each other wonderfully. Derek Nimmo is a credible 'Lord', and the cast also features Bernard Breslaw, Joan Sims, Max Wall, Joss Ackland, Roy Kinnear, joan Hickson, John Laurie, Amanda Barrie, and Jon Pertwee, among others.

The actual use of the Natural History Museum for some scenes adds to the suspension of disbelief.

All in all, well worth watching for children and adults alike!

Trouble In Shangri-La
Trouble In Shangri-La
Offered by Great Price Media EU

5.0 out of 5 stars The Candlebright Sorceress of Shangri-La, 16 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Trouble In Shangri-La (Audio CD)
As someone who grew up on Fleetwood Mac, but only discovered the wonder that is Stevie's solo work in 1999, I had to buy this as soon as it was released. I pretty much saturated myself in this album for a month. In the last 5 years I have frequently come back to it, but only now feel I know it well enough to review it.

As all Stevie fans will know, she herself was somewhat disapointed with 1994's "Street Angel". Having suffered stinging reviews from critics, both for the album and the ensuing tour, her confidence was badly dented. Then along came Clinton's election campaign, and "The Dance". Realising her fans had not deserted her, and being a prolific songwriter, it was time for a new album.

I will say now that the two tracks that never did it for me are 'Everyday' and 'Too Far from Texas'. Personally, I don't think either of these show her voice as it should be, and I find 'Too Far from Texas' somewhat droney, so it would not be fair for me to review them.

But to the album:

We open with the wonderful 'TROUBLE IN SHANGRI-LA', a song that seems to build like a rising wind ("in pillars of colour"). It's gentle, then it rocks, briefly comes back down again, then the drums kick and it rocks out!

'CANDLEBRIGHT' originated as a song from the Buckingham Nicks days called 'Nomad'. It has a mystical & early 1970's feel (makes me think of Christine McVie's 'Say You Love Me').

'SORCERER' had its debut in the Buckingham Nicks live performances of 1973/74. It emerged again in a rock-ballad form in 1984 on the soundtrack to 'Streets of Fire', performed by Marylin Martin with Stevie singing backing. There are hints of 'Rhiannon', 'Enchanted' & 'Blue Denim' in there. It's an upbeat rock song - think 'Angel'!

'PLANETS OF THE UNIVERSE' can be found in 1976/77 rough form on disc 2 of 'Rumours - Expanded'. This is classic rocking Stevie, and similar to her songs on FM's Say You Will, with maybe even a hint of 'Edge of 17'. It was definately written aimed at Lindsey ("I still wish you gone, and I will live alone").
If you have heard the 'Rumours' version, you may wonder where the lyrics at the end have gone here ("You will remember, but I will die slowly..."). For those you will need the 'extended album version' on the now deleted single.

'EVERY DAY' 'TOO FAR FROM TEXAS'

'THAT MADE ME STRONGER' in 1995, still getting over her slated tour, Stevie had dinner with Tom Petty. They talked about her making a come-back album, but her low confidence led her to ask him "Will you write these songs for me?". Thankfully, Tom said "No, you write your songs yourself." This track rocks (reminds me of 'Kick It'), but it has a slight eastern flavour.

'IT'S ONLY LOVE' written by Sheryl Crow, is different enough from Sheryl's own version to stand out. It has an acoustic guitar base, with very light drums - a bit Beatles, 'Norwegian Wood'. Sheryl's sounds rather sad, whereas Stevie makes you think 'this is only the beginning, the ride isn't over yet'!

'LOVE CHANGES' is more 'pop' sounding than rock, but it is very upbeat and happy.

'I MISS YOU' is not a ballad, though it seems to be about a sad subject. It's along the lines of 'I sing for the Things', but not so stripped down (there is a lot of music in there!). But Lindsey added guitar! (I'm not overly fond of this track - least favourite of the 11 I like).

'BOMBAY SAPPHIRES' takes us softly (but with a rock edge) into the mystical east. More classic Stevie, but for the 2000's! She returns to her tendancy to reuse lines from her earlier songs "The sea never changes..." ('Edge of 17'), and she nods to Jimi Hendrix in there "And it's like Purple Haze...".

With 'FALL FROM GRACE' the Rock Chick returns! This is like late-70's live FM...the end halves of 'Rhiannon' or 'Gold Dust Woman'. It has the intensity of 1981's live 'Edge of Seventeen', and the energy of 'I Need To Know'. You would be forgiven for thinking it was Mick Fleetwood on those drums!

Finally, 'LOVE IS' is the beautiful ballad we drift out on. This is 'Beautiful Child' for a new generation (hey, I was only born in 1982, but I love them both!). The georgeous piano playing is by Sarah McLachlan, who Stevie herself is a fan of (Stevie says one of the only non-FM songs that can wake her in the middle of the night is 'Posession'). This is one of the few songs that can have me in tears and singing along at the same time!

If you've ever liked any Stevie Nicks songs, or 70's era Fleetwood Mac, you ***NEED*** this album!!!

The 'S' in Stevie's name was drawn by Sarah McLachlan. It was originally just a drawing of a dragon, but when they reversed it they realised it was a perfect 'S' for the album!

The Book Of Shadows: A Woman's Journey into the Wisdom of Witchcraft and the Magic of the Goddess
by Phyllis W. Curott

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing light out of Shadows, 15 Dec. 2006
Going against the stereotypes of someone who chose to become Pagan / Wiccan at 15, I have always been sceptical of so-called 'Wicca books'/ 'Witchcraft books' (there is no 'how-to' for becoming a Witch). But when I noticed the hardback edition of this one whilst browsing a small bookshop, I quickly realised this was something different.

Book of Shadows is part auto-biography, part guidebook, and part story.
The Author's Note at the beginning states:
"The story that follows is true. In an effort to safeguard the privacy of individuals whose lives have touched mine, all of the names and many of the identifying details of the people mentioned in this book have been changed. In some cases, composite characters have been created and some events altered for the purpose of further disguising the identity of individuals."

Phyllis Curott was a non-religious law student when she had her first experiences of the 'magical' world in the 1970's. At the time, she did not recognise them as such. When she graduated she left New York for Washington DC, but found that her premonitions, dreams and insights had stopped. A year later she was made redundant, and returned to New York.
She ended up managing a band, and met a fellow manager, Sophia, who called herself 'a white Witch'. Sophia introduced her to a group of women who were starting a womens circle, or 'coven'.

Over the thirteen chapters (representing the 13 moons of the year), we follow the first year of Phyllis' spiritual journey, as she tries to balance her profesional life in the male-dominated law world of 1980's New York, with her discovery and understanding of the world's oldest religion.

Because Phyllis has no pre-conceived religious beliefs, we are able to put ourselves in her place as she makes her way through the experience. She explores not just modern Wicca, but also a brief look at its history, and how so many myths and misconceptions arose around these beliefs.

I found this book so difficult to put down, and have now read it 6 times. Every time I have had to stop, when I come back to it (days, weeks, or months later), I always find myself at a point relative to my life at that moment!

Ignore all those 'how-to' books for Wicca and Witchcraft, seemingly aimed at the teenage market. THIS is the best introduction to The Craft, presented in a very accessible manner, but with enough to grip an intelligent, adult reader.

NB: Book of Shadows is the term given to a coven's book of spells.

Tango In The Night
Tango In The Night
Offered by I-Deal Media

5.0 out of 5 stars "Long distance winners...", 6 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Tango In The Night (Audio CD)
This is one of those albums that seems to devide the fans: You either love it, or hate it, or, for some, it grows on you over time...
Personally, I've loved it from the moment I first heard it, and there is not one 'bad' track on the entire album.

As another reviewer, Malcolm Lennox, has said, this is not like any of their previous albums, but when was a Fleetwood Mac album ever the same as its predecessors? (their sound has evolved with every album right from their beginnings in 1968).
"Tango in the Night" is its own animal, and very much a reflection of its time.

As "Rumours" was a reflection of disintegrating relationships, "Tusk" the sound of experimentalism and trying to follow a legend, and "Mirage" a reunion of artists who had tasted the solo scene (some more successfully than others), "Tango in the Night" was produced when its lead guitarist/singer wanted to go his own way, its keyboard player/singer had found a new writing partner and embraced the catchy pop lyric, and their most iconic singer was recovering from three solo albums & tours, and a spell in rehab.

The album opens with surely one of Lindsey's most famous songs: 'BIG LOVE'.
He follows this with 'CAROLINE', written about his then girlfriend.
The title track 'TANGO IN THE NIGHT' ~ what an addictive solo!
'FAMILY MAN' (I don't understand it the meaning, but I like it).
And he closes the album with 'YOU AND I, PART II'

Christine contributes:
The wonderfully catchy 'EVERYWHERE', with the lovely harmonies.
The beautiful 'MYSTIFIED'.
'LITTLE LIES' {frequently wrongly referred to as 'tell me lies' or 'sweet little lies'}.
And the rocker 'ISN'T IT MIDNIGHT'. There is an excellent `alternative' version on '25 Years - The Chain" boxed set, or try to get the 1987 live version.

Stevie's songs are very much in the style of her then solo work.
'SEVEN WONDERS' (actually written by Sandy Stewart - Stevie only has a co-credit because she misheard the original lyrics, and as such ad-libbed)
'WELCOME TO THE ROOM... SARA' could easily have come from her solo album "Rock A Little"
'WHEN I SEE YOU AGAIN' is a beautifully sad song.
A lot of people say Stevie's input wasn't worth it. Because of her time in rehab (to kick the cocaine), Stevie couldn't contribute fully, and as such her harmonies are missing from many songs, and some of her own had to be edited and tweaked by Lindsey (this may explain the repetitiveness of some lyrics).

But this always was and always will be a great album, and is certainly 'Classic Fleetwood Mac'.

Rumours
Rumours

5.0 out of 5 stars "I can STILL hear you saying...", 6 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Rumours (Audio CD)
I'm only 26, but I grew-up on "Rumours" (as well as the Peter Green era "Greatest Hits"). This was the cassette constantly on in the car every summer holiday (well, that's how it seemed)! And as a Grand Prix fan, whenever I hear that bass-line, I can see those Formula One cars revving their engines!

Just when I thought I'd bought every FM album there was, they remastered & expanded my favourite. Well, there was no way I wasn't going to buy it!

From Lindsey's opening guitar of 'Second Hand News' to Stevie's howl closing 'Gold Dust Woman', this is so much *better* than I remember. The sound is incredible {as is the DVD audio version}. The inclusion of 'Silver Springs' (the full version of which was too long for the original vinyl, and had to be replaced with the shorter 'I Don't Want to Know'), gives us "Rumours" almost as it should have been.

I will add however, that I actually prefer the version of 'Silver Springs' on disc 2, as the one placed here is the single edit, which I find too short!.
In response to William Walker's comment on this, 'Silver Springs' could NOT have been put on at the end, because it MUST end with 'Gold Dust Woman'.
Just try to imagine it as vinyl, and that you have had to turn it over at the end of 'Songbird'.
Personally though, rather than placing it after 'Songbird', I would have put it following 'Go Your Own Way', as that was the single it was the b-side to.

Disc 2:
Some of these we could probably have done without {such as 'Mick the Screacher'}, but most make it worth it!

As another reviewer said, 'Brushes' is beautiful, though it's worth noting that Lindsey was playing around with this idea back in the 1973 days of Buckingham Nicks.

'You Make Loving Fun' is absolutely wonderful, with Stevie's harmony vocals very clear, and keyboards and guitar to the fore.

'Gold Dust Woman #1' doesn't have the famous "...pale shadow of a woman..." vocal, but some haunting 'oohs & aaahhs' instead.

'Gold Dust Woman #2' is an earlier demo, which turns into 'If You Ever Did Believe' (a song released by Stevie on the 'Practical Magic' soundtrack in 1998).

'Think About It' (co-credited here to Roy Bittan) is much more up-beat than Stevie's later Bella Donna version.

'Planets of the Universe' is stark {and clearly aimed at Lindsey}, but it helps see how the Trouble in Shangri La version came about.

'Butter Cookie (Keep Me There)' was a song of Christine's that was to become 'The Chain'. The beginning wasn't what they wanted, but they loved Mick and John's ending. So they counted back from the bass line, used the kick-drum as a metronome, Stevie gave them the lyrics for the verses, Lindsey and Christine wrote the music and the chorus, Lindsey added the guitar over the ending, and 'The Chain' as we know it was born!

The reviewer 'gnagfloW' is completely wrong to say "One must, however, make sure to press the stop button before some jam session at the end of the disc begin, those are only for the most devoted."

'For Duster (The Blues)' is Fleetwood Mac bringing their roots forward into 1976. Christine, Mick and John all started out as blues musicians, but if this track is 'blue' then give me more. It is so up-beat and catchy, and Lindsey's guitar really does him credit. It is a wonderful balance of all four musicians just relaxing and doing what they do best - making music.

The insert booklet gives us info about the band, and allows those of us too young to have the original vinyl to see the famous picture of John McVie simulating 'alcohol-by-intravenous-drip'!

All in all, you will not regret buying this album, if only for the chance to hear these songs with the sound quality we were originally meant to.

Say You Will
Say You Will

5.0 out of 5 stars A TOP comeback by one of the GREATEST bands, 6 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Say You Will (Audio CD)
Ok, so Christine McVie had had enough of life on the road, but even without her this is one of Fleetwood Mac's best albums of the past 20 years. Between Stevie & Lindsey's writing, and Mick and John's 'solid-as-ever' rhythm section, they produce an album of such top-standard material that you won't even realise Christine isn't there (though she actually is, singing backing on 'Murrow turning Over in His Grave').

To the album itself:
Personally, I can do without 'Peacekeeper', 'Bleed to Love Her' (previously debuted on "The Dance") & 'Steal Your Heart Away'. I'm also not overly fond of 'Say You Will' (written for Christine when she decided to leave, and featuring John's daughter Molly and Stevie's niece Jessica on backing vocals) or 'Silver Girl' (about Stevie's friend Sheryl Crow, not, as some say, about Stevie). But, that's just me.

Lindsey shows his genius as both a musician and lyricist on 'Murrow Turning Over in His Grave', 'Red Rover', 'Miranda', 'Say Goodbye' (remind anyone else of 'The Windmills of your Mind' by Noel Harrison?), and the incredible 'Come' - have you heard the live version, and if not why not?

Though Stevie writes a lot of her music herself, she does often have to have it arranged by others, but you could never fault her as a lyricist. The first time I heard 'Illume (9/11)' I cried! Add to this 'Thrown Down', 'Smile at You', 'Running Through the Garden', 'Everybody finds Out' (I'm sure we can all relate at least one of these 4 to our own relationships), 'Destiny Rules' (I wonder if that was about Lindsey?), and 'Goodbye Baby' (originally demoed as 'The Tower', and supposedly about the abortions she had during her career - definately one you need the tissues for).

Both 'Miranda' and Stevie's 'Not Make Believe' {on the Ltd. edition} could have come straight off "Tango in the Night".

If you are a Fleetwood Mac or a Stevie Nicks fan, you CAN NOT miss this album!

I just want to point out to 'fuzzymuppet2002': They haven't been a 'Blues' band since 1975. On occasion this incarnation of FM harked back to the Peter Green era (such as the single version of 'Rhiannon', when Lindsey added guitar parts in the style of 'Dragonfly'), but you really have to class them as two separate groups.

Page: 1 | 2