Profile for marcel > Reviews

Content by marcel

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Samsung Series 5 ES5500 40-inch 1080P Full HD Smart LED TV - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars samsung ue40es5500 Tv, 10 Nov 2012
This is my first HD TV as I was using a sony 28in CRT TV previously. THe screen size is just right for my front room, and it looks soo much bigger as the CRT had a 4inch bezzel.

Set up is really easy with the on screen instructions, as the tuner is HD it has BBC1, ITV and CH4 in HD as well as a BBC preview channel.

Standard def picture varies on how good it looks due to the screen size (and the age of the show being watched), it can look very flat with no contrast. I played a VHS tape and it looked awefull! HD picture is very good, but there is slight surface blur when people move quickly, LED is not as good at handling fast movement as LCD panels. blacks are really well represented onscreen, I was really impressed with this.

I have been tweaking the screen settings a lot as I found the screen is slightly red in cast. I basically have 2 settings, for standard def/HD I use the natural setting, backlight 20, contrast 75, brightness 45, sharpness 85, colour 30, tint G45/R55.
For DVD's I use standard setting, backlight 16, contrast 90, brightness 45, sharpness 55, colour 30. This allows better shadow detail as DVD's are really punchy.

I have it linked to my router via ethernet cable (more reliable than wifi dongle) to access the smart TV functions. Standard apps are: itv player, bbc i player, lovefilm, netflix, youtube, allshare. Allshare is a samsung app, it allows me to stream content from my phone, tablet or galaxy camera straight to the tv, it works really well.

I also have a 1TB WD my book external hard drive linked via USB, this acts as a PVR. However, it has to be formatted to the TV, then it will not be recognised by a PC, so you cannot transfer content to it after it's recorded! EDIT: I also cannot play the recorded content on my mother's 32in Samsung TV of the same series, so the video is encrypted (DRM) to the individual TV or the same TV size. If you get a new TV, you may lose acess to everything you have recorded. You can't watch another channel than the one you are recording, but you can watch a DVD/bluray while you are recording TV. It has series record so you don't have to worry about missing programs while you are away. pluggging in a USB key from the pc with photos, videos, or music is fine though. AVI, MP4 and MKV files are no problem. A good tip is to get a USB extender cable, this way you plug your device into the cable, and not the TV, this saves wear and tear on the port on the TV.

It has a headphone jack in the back, so I have it linked to my 20 year old stereo, the built in speakers are OK for normal TV programs, but distort if the bass is remotely heavy and you turn up the volume a little. external speakers are the way to go.

I've got a samsung DVd player linked via HDMI, so playback is better due to upscaling, plus the TV remote does a lot of the players functions.

Ports are plenty, 3x HDMI, 2x USB, 1x scart, and composite ( red, yellow, white)

Flaws? speakers are ok, slight motion blur of fast movement (mainly in HD as more detail can be seen), but watched an F1 race in HD and it was still good. Remote has a lot of buttons, and on screen menus take time to learn and navigate. Web searching with the remote is awefull, you have to move the cursor keys to type. I don't know why the phone app does not have a keyboard on it.

I knew this would be a good TV, I diddn't want a 3D set and this was the best one avaiable. I'm not dissapointed. EDIT: Which magazine have now given it a best buy rating for TV's.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2013 1:32 PM GMT

SanDisk Extreme 120GB SATA 6GB/s 7200rpm 2.5-inch Internal SSD
SanDisk Extreme 120GB SATA 6GB/s 7200rpm 2.5-inch Internal SSD
Offered by ZAR Systems

5.0 out of 5 stars sandisk extreme 120Gb SSD hard drive SDSSDX-120G-G25, 9 Oct 2012
My desktop pc hard drive was starting to fail, and I was fed up with the slow boot times using windows after 5 years. A Friend recommended a small SATA drive to boot from, but I had read about SSD's on techradar, and that they could be used on pc's with an adapter for about £5 to £10. I chose Sandisk as I have used their memory cards for many years without issue, plus all the reviews praise them. I checked Sandisk's website to make sure it is a current model as the price was soo cheap, which it is.

Installation was quick and simple. The pc has gone from 3mins and 45secs boot time to 40secs, incredible! It could boot even faster with a few tweeks.

Everything starts quicker and it's like having a new computer. Cannot praise SSD drives enough. Effectively a new pc for £65, that's a bargain.

Dynamode SSD-RAIL 2.5 inch HDD or SDD Conversion Cradle for 3.5 inch Drive Bays
Dynamode SSD-RAIL 2.5 inch HDD or SDD Conversion Cradle for 3.5 inch Drive Bays

5.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 to 3.5inch drive adaper holder, 18 Sep 2012
made of plastic, comes with all screws. cheap to buy and works fine. Can hold 2 SSD's in it.

SanDisk 120GB Ultra SATA 2.5in Internal SSD
SanDisk 120GB Ultra SATA 2.5in Internal SSD

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD hard drive, 18 Sep 2012
I've been looking for a new drive for 2 weeks as my desktop drive is dying. A friend advised me about small sata drives to boot from and have a larger sata drive for data for quicker start times. I've been reading about SSD's on techradar, but diddn't realise they were for laptops not pc's. Then I found out that you can get adapters for them to fit/work in pc's for about £5.

I've got a good spec pc, it has a quad core intel Q6600 CPU, but it still takes 3 mins to start up using Vista. I formatted the dive in january as it was taking even longer to boot.

I initially saw OCZ SSD's in pc world, but after reading nothing but negative reviews I decided against them. Then I saw that Sandisk make them (I@ve used their memory cards in cameras for years with no problems, I found this one on amazon and the reviews were fantastic for the 120GB version for £64 (I also checked sandisks website to make sure it wasn't and older version, it wasn't). I got the drive and the adaper. Got them installed with a 2TB WD sata drive as the storage drive,changed to Windows 7 at the same time, and bingo! It now starts in 40secs.

no issues one week in, I've still got 70GB free on it. and the whole thing runs faster, with less cpu useage. I'll never use anything but SSD's for booting from now on.

old new
web browser IE9 10s 5s
adobe elements pics 22s 10s
pinnacle studio video 25s 18s
microsoft works 10s 1s

Gomadic TipExchange Tip Number 90
Gomadic TipExchange Tip Number 90
Offered by Gomadic UK

4.0 out of 5 stars micro USB tip for gomadic devices to power samsung phones, 27 July 2012
used with my gomadic radio transmitter to charge / power my samsung galaxy s wifi 5.0 while linking it to my car radio. item works well, but not exactly cheap for a micro USB adapter!

Universal 3.5 mm Male to 2.5mm Female Stereo Headset / Speaker Adaptor
Universal 3.5 mm Male to 2.5mm Female Stereo Headset / Speaker Adaptor
Offered by PJP ELECTRONICS

5.0 out of 5 stars 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, 27 July 2012
this item does exactly what it says. I got a straight jack from maplins, but it did not connect too well with my devices due to the jack being at an angle on my device and the jack was quite wide on the plug.
This unit has a nice narrow jack so it will plug in nicely if you use your device in a protective case like I do. The connectors are also a nice tight fit so they will not come out easily.

very good deivce.

Dr Martens 1461 Qq Pearl - 7 Uk - Grey - Leather
Dr Martens 1461 Qq Pearl - 7 Uk - Grey - Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Martens 1461 Qq Pearl - 7 Uk - Grey - Leather, 2 May 2012
I've been using DM's for over 20 years, but not many high street shops stock them, the only one that did wanted £75 for them!
Very comfortable to wear when broken in, but very stiff till then.
I polish them for 2 weeks to soften the leather before wearing them, and then have no issues.

Asus PA238Q 23-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED Monitor with HDMI
Asus PA238Q 23-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED Monitor with HDMI

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus PA238Q 23inch monitor, 23 April 2012
I got this monitor after reading a great review on techradar. The screen is nice and heavy, and it feels like leather on the caseing.

The screen is really good quality, bright sharp and clear from any viewing angle.

However, there is considerable light bleeding from the corners/sides. If you watch a video in a darkened room it is VERY noticeable. I will try and post a picture to show it. It is not visible when doing anything else, except for viewing very dark photographs.

I returned my first unit, the new one stil does it, but nowhere near as bad.
It has plenty of controls for customising the viewing image, but the default setting will be fine for most people.

If not for the edge bleed (which I can just about live with), it would have 5 stars.

Comment Comment | Permalink

EMARTBUY SAMSUNG I5801 GALAXY APOLLO SILICON CASE/COVER/SKIN ORANGE
EMARTBUY SAMSUNG I5801 GALAXY APOLLO SILICON CASE/COVER/SKIN ORANGE
Offered by emartbuyuk

4.0 out of 5 stars silicone skin, 28 Feb 2012
I love this item. the phone is very slippery in the hand as it has a high gloss finish. The skin has a nice soft feel to it, it feels more like rubber and provides excellent grip, dropping the phone in the skin is pretty hard to do. Getting a bright colour also makes it easy to find!

marcel

BULLGUARD Internet Security V14, Retail (Single), 3 User Licence, 5GB Online Backup

4.0 out of 5 stars bullguard v12 internet scurity software, 28 Feb 2012
I have used kapersky for the last 4 years, but which magazine gave bullguard top score this time, so thought I would try it.

THe first thing I noticed is start times for boot up have halved, my pc is up and running in 2 mins 45 secs, my mum's old toshiba laptop is 3 mins, it was 7 mins with kapersky!
It contains other programs built in to tune up your pc, and again, they work really well, it tok off 1GB of temp internet files the my other program missed as did windows disk clean up program.

overall, very impressed with this program.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7