ARRAY(0xa54f74e0)

Profile for Laura C. Sequeira > Reviews

Content by Laura C. Sequeira

Laura C. Sequeira (London)

Veg Patch: River Cottage Handbook No.4
Veg Patch: River Cottage Handbook No.4
by Mark Diacono
Price: 10.34

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a gardening book that is fun to read., 13 Mar 2009
As a newcomer to growing veg, my favourite thing about this book is that for once I don't feel overwhelmed by dense text, and am not left feeling inept because I don't understand the jargon! The author Mark Diacono has done a great job of writing a book that is truly accessible for first timers, and at the same time is an informative and thought provoking resource for old hands.

As the other reviewers have mentioned, Diacono's sense of humour is a rare gem in a book like this, and his passion and enthusiasm made me want to get out in my garden immediately and start a veg patch. I particularly like the 'How to eat' section on each vegetable - the ideas are simple but really original and definitely gave me lots of new ideas for cooking veg that I already know well, and great tips for the ones that I don't.

As someone who lives in a city and has a small patio garden rather than a true 'veg patch' I particularly like the section on growing in limited space in pots and tyre stacks etc. This is a really handy section that gives all the key information at a glance and it reassured me that growing veg isn't just for those with plenty of outdoor space.

I would definitely recommened this book - as well as being fun to read and a great resource, it looks beautiful and the photography is lovely too.