Profile for AndyL > Reviews

Gund Apatosaurus Dinosaur Soft Toy
Offered by Papillon Gifts
Price: 19.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A cuddly Dinosoar, 19 Oct 2012
My son wanted a dragon or a Dinosaur and so I searched and found this one which is very similar to a flightless Dragon. Since he got it he has not left it out of his sight. It is very cute and was worth every penny.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Look Lovely, 22 July 2012
Bought these for my wife and they look lovely. Many women would be better off in a pair of something this shape than the thong type that really only flatter someone with really thin legs and waist.

Fretboard Roadmaps: The Essential Guitar Patterns That All the Pros Know and Use (Guitar Techniques)
by Fred Sokolow
Price: 7.95

3.0 out of 5 stars A book for keeping and dipping into., 22 July 2012
I have given this book a fairly low score because although its good and you will keep it and use it regularly through your playing life its not something a basic to intermediate can pick up and use easily.

As an intermediate player who has got about half the way through the Charanga Electric Guitar Course (So I know my basic open chords, power chords and have done basic solos but have little skill, fluency) and has just started group lessons I found the first 2 pages or so great to confirm my understanding of the notes around the fretboard. However most of the rest is beyond me at the moment. I am confident I will use this in the future but I need to learn more first...

Definitely not the biggest waste of money out there but also not necessary until your playing at a relatively high level.

ROLAND MICRO CUBE Amplifiers Effects Modeling guitar combos
ROLAND MICRO CUBE Amplifiers Effects Modeling guitar combos

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor tone. Confusing model names. Better amps out there..., 9 July 2012
Bought one of these and used it with my Squier Strat when I was learning because it sounded from its specification sheet like what I needed. When it came I found the oblique model names confusing (Roland don't name them directly so its like a weird form of game trying to guess what they are...) but it was okay and I kept it for a year or so. However I feel that the compromises made to run off batteries impact the quality too much - When I was given a cheaper mains powered 15W combo amp I preferred that and eventually I sold mine to fund a new amp because when I bought a new guitar (Les Paul) I just couldn't get a good tone with it. Frankly most mains powered combos of a similar price or cheaper will sound better although they won't have the fancy modelling (which is a bit of a gimmick for me).

All That We Needed
All That We Needed
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, Buy it..., 11 May 2012
This review is from: All That We Needed (Audio CD)
Bought this album on the strength of the tiny fragment of "Take Me Away" that they played in the Pen advert. Its very good and quite varied in style varying from a Ballad (hey there Deliah - a lovely song) to fairly high energy rock songs (like Take Me Away) although nothing gets really heavy. I put it on a lot and sing a long to it a lot. Its a good fun album and well worth the money if you like traditional "bands" and good simple musicianship.
I have seen there genre described as punk (in iTunes I think). The lyrics are written from the point of view of teenagers and about being teenagers and so have quite a refreshing clarity and comfort to them but they are not accurately described as "punk". They aren't really rebelling, and its far too happy and positive for that. (even "Take me away" which is written about a boy who doesn't want to stay at a party in which his ex is at is still a great happy song...)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but watch your tum..., 10 May 2012
This looks absolutely stunning on the gorgeous lady (my wife) that I bought it for and is a great price but it is very figure hugging so won't suit everybody.

The Devil Knows My Name
The Devil Knows My Name
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Guitar Album, 10 May 2012
I had never heard of "John 5" before I read an interview in a guitar magazine. He's a bit dark and this album is inspired by serial killers but forget about that. If you like "heavy" Electric Guitar you will like this. Its probably not quite as good as "Paul Gilbert, Silence Followed by a Sudden Roar" but it is much better than many others (which I have tended to buy and then get bored with before even the first play is over...).

M010S 4gb White Allwinner A13 Android Tablet PC WiFi
M010S 4gb White Allwinner A13 Android Tablet PC WiFi

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money., 10 May 2012
This tablet has Android Marketplace on it so you can download games etc although you will need an SD card as well for this to work. It is very cheap and for the money is pretty good but unfortunately the touch screen is poor. Text entry and selection is much weaker than on an Android phone because of this (although it is better if you use a stylus).
The seller (wendyloo) is highly recommended. Our first one needed replacing (it just stopped powering up) and it was done without any quibbles and difficulties at all and with great customer service. Thank you..

Rolson 61770 72 LED Camping Light
Rolson 61770 72 LED Camping Light
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but fragile, 10 May 2012
These provide a very powerful light great for actually doing something outside in the dark (e.g. tending to animals in the winter) but the case is made of hard, fragile plastic so if dropped onto concrete it will break. Battery life is good (it uses disposable AA batteries) and they are quite cheap so I tend to just buy another... (Have done the drop test twice now and am on my third...)

Wii Fit Plus - Game Only (Wii)
Wii Fit Plus - Game Only (Wii)
Offered by Clearance Game Deals
Price: 3.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for familys and the weight concious...., 10 May 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is the game CD only. You need the Balance board as well to play the game. We bought a new CD because the old one got scratched - when CDs were introduced we were told they were indestructible. What happened!
Anyway the CD itself holds a collection of games that are designed to improve your fitness, balance or mental capability. Some of these are pretty good "family party" games and quite entertaining in themselves for a few hours (although actually I quite like the jogging in the park which is perhaps least interesting for a group some of the balance or platform games are great)...
There is also a "weigh in" recommended every day so you can track your weight (and it calculates your BMI and gives your Mii character a physique based upon it so mine looks much more beer bellied than my daughter who looks like a stick!). The "weigh in" also attempts to estimate your physical dexterity and give you a representative age. After every activity is completed the game calculates how many calories you have used. This really underlines that in order to lose weight you need to combine exercise with food control...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9