Profile for AndyL > Reviews

Content by AndyL

AndyL (Cambridgeshire/ Hertfordshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Electric Guitar Coach Deluxe (PC)
Electric Guitar Coach Deluxe (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good and works with 32 Bit Windows 7, 7 Nov 2012
I bought this after we replaced our old PC with a Vista one and my old Copy of Charanga "Teach Yourself Electric Guitar" (the predecessor) didn't work with our new PC. It has similar lessons but they are re-arranged and like the other Charanga titles has a slightly weird UI that you get used to but puts you off initially. I quite liked the older title and after a while began to know it quite well.
Learning Guitar by PC using a program like this has to be the best way other than getting lessons. Its much easier than using a book and CD, much more comprehensive and easier to slow down and study than a video. It has a mixture of Video (Normal and slowed down) to show you techniques, full speed music to demo & backing tracks (full and slower) with TAB that scroll in time to the music so you know where you are. The music is also graded so you are able to learn slowly... This software is pretty good and I was very happy yesterday when I discovered it also works on 32 Bit Windows 7 too. That said you probably will need lessons too at some point if only just to keep you practicing...

Rocksmith- includes Real Tone Cable (PC DVD)
Rocksmith- includes Real Tone Cable (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Dealz

4.0 out of 5 stars For all its problems if you play guitar you need it!, 7 Nov 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Getting this software working was a major challenge even for someone who works in IT. Read carefully the install instructions and follow them. Also look at the forum on Amazon for "how to install from the dvd and not steam" otherwise you will download the entire application using your ISP rather than from the DVD (The instructions install the steam software from DVD but then download Rocksmith(>4GB) using your ISP). Also ensure your sound devices are correctly setup but now its working on Windows 7 32 Bit on my MacBook (Sorry).

So what do I think of the game? Will it teach you to play Guitar? Well I just jumped in and played it for a few hours last night. As a fairly experienced "Beginner/Early Intermediate Guitar player" (Think someone who can play approximately at RockSchool Debut type level - a catalogue of about 15 Riffs plus several tunes that I can play on simple power chords and an awareness of a few real chords) I find it addictive but worrying - It isn't taking the time to discuss my fingering or start on basic strums of chords/power chords etc but just throws you into playing single notes all over the fretboard (and so tempting you to just use one finger). I think this could have been done much better (e.g. showing you to play single notes rooted on a finger and then moving your hand gently or simple power chords). Also it is going to take a while to get used to its presentation of what to string and fret play since it doesn't use TAB (the standard way of documenting this) but uses a visual fretboard and different colours to indicate which strings (e.g. Bright YELLOW dot is the E string). But I did enjoy playing it and I will keep playing Rocksmith. I am sure it is going to improve my Rhythem and my speed - but i will still need to get lessons from elsewhere to keep me playing properly...

Like some others have complained I find that when playing a long session the need to check tuning for every new song annoying and unnecessary. I also find that it can't hear my middle Single Coil on my Steinberger reliably although it does hear the Humbuckers fine. (Might be a concern if you want to use it with a Strat?)

Plus Sign
Plus Sign

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: Plus Sign (Audio CD)
I bought the album after hearing him advertised on TV (yeah sorry) and love it. The last time I bought an album so good it was by the Plain White Ts (All That We Needed) or maybe Adele (21) or maybe Glee (1&2)... It is from the heart, simple songs with good lyrics and good backing that don't distract. Makes you want to sing along or scream along depending upon the song. Despite his beautiful boyish looks (particularly on the album cover) its not all simple easy subjects but real subjects and well chosen words.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Two SD Cards, 19 Oct 2012
Two SD cards in a relatively cheap box. I used them to use with my Fender G-DEC and they work fine...

Metallica
Metallica

3.0 out of 5 stars Its the classic Metallica Album, 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: Metallica (MP3 Download)
Its the classic Metallica Album. I think I probably find them too heavy for regular listening but they really moved Heavy Music on...

Back In Black
Back In Black

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best ACDC Album (for me)., 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: Back In Black (Audio CD)
I think this is probably the definitive AC/DC Album and has classics on it like Hells bells, Rock and Roll ain't Noise Pollution etc. Its aged quite well but is still very full of innuendo.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack (Wii)
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars How to lose your child..., 19 Oct 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you don't like your kids buy this. They will disappear and play and only stop for dinner when they will talk nonsense that you don't understand before disappearing again! The game is a magical world where these creatures have to be used to solve the problems. be warned that the portal takes AA batteries and goes through them regularly. Also they will want other Skylander characters not just the three in the pack otherwise they can't see much of the world!

Belkin Neoprene Sleeve for up to 14 inch Laptops - Jet/Cabernet
Belkin Neoprene Sleeve for up to 14 inch Laptops - Jet/Cabernet
Offered by mopodo-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars It works but is a lot of fuss., 19 Oct 2012
A wetsuit for a laptop to keep it clean and scratch free when not in use. Quite a good idea but i also have the snug fitting front and back for my MAC so probably don't need it.

An American Werewolf In London (Special Edition) [DVD]
An American Werewolf In London (Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Naughton
Offered by 247dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Film., 19 Oct 2012
You have to drink a bottle of wine and then watch this. It is a different slant on the problems that being a werewolf would bring. The special effects are so good they influenced Michael Jackson but also the soundtrack - which contains every song you have ever heard (and some more) about Moons, the Cameo roles also need mentioning.

Heavier Things
Heavier Things

1.0 out of 5 stars Err sorry whats all the fuss about?, 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: Heavier Things (MP3 Download)
Bought this on the strengths of a lot of reviews. Very disappointed. I like a load of Guitar music such As Plain White Ts, Gary Moore, Ed Sheran as well as other stuff like the Glee Albums, Adele, Jessie J etc but find this dull.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10