Profile for Bazza > Reviews

Content by Bazza

Bazza

The Chumash: The Stone Edition, Full Size (ArtScroll) (English and Hebrew Edition) The Torah: Haftaros and Five Megillos with a Commentary Anthologized from the Rabbinic Writings 11th (eleventh) Edition by Nosson Scherman published by Mesorah Pubns L
by Nosson Scherman

5.0 out of 5 stars Artscroll Chumash, 9 Jun 2014
Delivery was much quicker than anticipated or promised. Book is exactly as expected, being the same as the one I have used many times before.

Brabantia Classic Corkscrew - Black
Brabantia Classic Corkscrew - Black
Price: 6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars corkscrew, 7 Feb 2014
This was bought as a present. It is a good-looking device, that is easy to use, and the recipient said it was exactly what he wanted.

Epson Perfection V370 Photo 4800 dpi scanner with ReadyScan LED technology - slides, film and negatives
Price: 89.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Epson scanner, 30 Dec 2013
I bought the scanner to replace my previous Perfection which does not have a Windows7 driver. The new unit seems to do everything the old one does, with high quality images, and a very superior OCR facility. On the down side it is a bit bigger than the old one, and the cables are not well sited for my desk layout (they emerge from the side instead of the back). It does exactly the job required.

Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet Canary Islands, 26 Dec 2013
A typical LP book: full of useful information (but with a format that is not as helpful as the earlier style). I rarely travel anywhere without an LP.

One to Nine: The Inner Life of Numbers
One to Nine: The Inner Life of Numbers
by Andrew Hodges
Price: 6.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and readable collection of mathematical essays, 12 July 2013
This was a very readable book explaining a number of fascinating mathematical concepts and relating many of them to modern day life. With a couple of exceptions all the reasoning was easy to follow, without the need for the reader to resort to pencil and paper.

I enjoyed the book very much, and my reason for purachase was to give it to someone as a present.

Alaska (Lonely Planet Alaska)
Alaska (Lonely Planet Alaska)
by Greg Benchwick

4.0 out of 5 stars Alaska, 22 Sep 2012
I bought the LP Alaska because we were going on a cruise to the SE part of the country. The book covers the whole of this huge state, and I needed just a few pages to photocopy - which is why I bought the 2009 edition which was very cheap!

The information was a bit out of date, but glaciers and mountains don't change particularly quickly. However, I must say that I far prefer the format of these older LP editions to that of the latest books, which I find very hard to navigate around and which don't seem to contan anything like as much helpful information as before.

Wahl 79233-017 100 Series Mains Hair Clipper Set
Wahl 79233-017 100 Series Mains Hair Clipper Set
Price: 10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars beard trimmer, 5 Jun 2012
I bought the clipper for use as a beard trimmer. I had an earlier model for many years, and thought that the new one was less substantial, less well made, and did not work as well. However, it was excellent value for money. (This is my experience with almost all products these days.)

Sony TV and HiFi Over-Ear Headphones - Black
Sony TV and HiFi Over-Ear Headphones - Black
Offered by eZee Trade
Price: 58.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor product, 17 April 2012
My main reason for buying these headphones is that I am a little deaf, and I imagined I could sit and listen to TV programmes without having the loudspeaker set so high that everyone else was driven out of the room.

The device does not let me do this. After about 10 minutes of excellent operation the transmitter suddenly cuts out. It can be re-started by simply turning the mains power supply off and on, but I don't want to keep doing this.

According to the instructions and the Sony "technical help" site, cut-out occurs if the output of the TV speakers is too low. I have tried increasing this, without any noticeable improvement. In any case, this is exactly what I do not want to do.

The Sony technical advice department has totally ignored my queries.

I strongly recommend that people don't buy this item.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 5:51 PM GMT

Lonely Planet New England (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet New England (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet
Price: 15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet, New England, 7 Nov 2011
The Lonely Planet publications seem to have deteriorated over the years.

Maybe it is because of competition by Trip Advisor, but the accommodation recommendations are inadequate in both number of locations and details of them. LP failed to assist in finding hotels in any area I visited.

The maps in this book are not particularly helpful, as the scales seem either too big (covering an insufficient area) or too small (insufficient detail). In particular, few maps display all the hotels, restaurants and important locations, or even all the major road names. Then the small-area large-scale maps are presented almost at random, with no indication where they fit together. Boston was particularly frustrating as it was impossible to see where the maps referred to, and there was no plan of the metro, or anything about parking arrangements. What is needed at the start of each section is a map covering the full area, with the page numbers of where to find the large scale maps.

Worst of all, the overall layout has changed and it has become very difficult to find useful information, such as public or private transport, outlines of tourist spots to visit, and the background to the areas that were once so valuable to the traveller.

Disappointing.

ICF-S79W AM/FM/Weather Band Digital Tuner Shower Radio
ICF-S79W AM/FM/Weather Band Digital Tuner Shower Radio
Offered by Gotcha Uk
Price: 32.79

4.0 out of 5 stars shower radio, 12 Jun 2011
My old Sony shower radio finally gave up the ghost, despite my keeping it going over several months with nuts and bolts and pieces of sticky tape.

The replacement ICF-S79W Sony ICF-S79W AM/FM/Weather Band Digital Tuner Shower Radio seemed good value, and performs well. The sound quality is good, and there are plenty of preset stations (wasted on me really, as I rarely listen to anything except Radio 4). However, maximum volume is not as loud as previous reviewers had promised - a drawback when I decide to have a particularly enthusiastic shower. I am also a bit concerned about the robustness of the waterproof membrane which transmits my finger pressure to the operating controls. It was the collapse of this membrane (among other things) that finally killed off my old machine. Also, I remain quite bemused about the "weather band" which is something that we don't have in the UK and which is a waste of space in products sold over here. The old radio lasted for ages and ages on a single set of batteries, and I wait to see how economical the new one will be.