Profile for Kris Dove > Reviews

Content by Kris Dove

Kris Dove "Kris x" (Scotland)

Vegan Feasts: Essential Vegetarian Collection
Vegan Feasts: Essential Vegetarian Collection
by Rose Elliot

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 24 Aug. 2008
The good points of this book are loads of info on nutrition, simple to follow recipes, easy to find ingredients, and it doesn't rely much on fake meats either, unlike many other vegan cookbooks. However, being a bit more experienced at cooking, I felt it wasn't really aimed at me.

While it's certainly more of a book for beginners and is therefore ideal for any new vegan, there are still admittedly few things, though not that many, that might appeal to a more experienced cook.

I have only given it 4 out of 5, because there really should be a subtitle stating that it is a book for beginners.

The Cake Scoffer: Cheap 'n' Easy Vegan Cooking
The Cake Scoffer: Cheap 'n' Easy Vegan Cooking
by Ronny Worsey
Edition: Pamphlet

5.0 out of 5 stars This book ruined my weightloss :P, 14 Aug. 2008
When I initially went vegan, I lost a bit of weight through cutting down on unhealthy snacks... then I bought this book and gained it all back on again, through having batches of delicious freshly made cake in my kitchen tempting me!
Weight gain aside, this book is fantastic, great value for money, using easy to find ingredients, and has easy-peasy recipes that even a total novice in the kitchen- like myself when I first went vegan- can follow.
So what if it's full of sugar and oil and not exactly healthy? Cakes are supposed to be a treat, and this book proves not all vegan food is bland or boring- just make sure you share your home baking with your friends and don't scoff the lot like I did! ;)

Baby Proof
Baby Proof
by Emily Giffin

2.0 out of 5 stars It started out so promising..., 2 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Baby Proof (Paperback)
*warning- contains spoilers*

...but what a disappointment at the end! Being a woman who never wants kids myself, this is of course a subject close to my heart. The first part of the book drew me in and I finished the book in about a day. The character spoke words that might have been my own thoughts. I was impressed, but then the end left me gutted as she doesn't come to any real conclusion of what to do ans she's pretty much back to square one. Perhaps the author is intending to write a sequel?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2009 11:31 AM BST

Easy Vegan Cooking: Over 350 delicious recipes for every ocassion: Over 350 Delicious Recipes for Every Occasion
by Leah Leneman

4.0 out of 5 stars A little more spice and it'd be perfect!, 3 Sept. 2007
Does exactly what it says in the title with fairly simple yet innovative ideas. It's divided neatly into sections(ie legumes, nuts etc) making it easy to browse, and has some nutrition advice in the foreward. My only gripe is that I find myself adapting a lot of the recipes to taste, as they can be fairly bland and require a little more seasoning for a spice-fiend like me! Most of the recipes are very healthy, but I'm of the strong belief that wholemeal flour can ruin the taste and texture of sauces and cakes, I just switch it to white and they turn out lovely!

How It All Vegan: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-free Diet
How It All Vegan: Irresistible Recipes for an Animal-free Diet
by Tanya Barnard

5.0 out of 5 stars A great first vegan cookbook, 3 Sept. 2007
More than just a cookbook with tasty, easy-to-follow recipes, it also has sections on kids lunchboxes, homemade cleaners and toiletries, nutrition advice, and non-vegan ingredients to avoid to name but a few, making it a great first cookbook for a new vegan.

PopCo
PopCo
by Scarlett Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the..., 25 July 2007
This review is from: PopCo (Paperback)
...other reviewers mentioning the mathematics and cryptography and dismiss this book as boring for that reason. I find those things boring, and I do confess, I skimmed through those parts rather than put the book down, because the rest of the story was just so damn enjoyable that it more than made up for it!

Thomas could have made the novel much more marketable and commercial by editing these parts out, but I thoroughly respect her decision not to have done this, because it would seem somewhat hypocritical given the moral of the story (which challenges capitalism and our consumer-driven society) and a character who feels disappointed that the toys she has designed with "geeky" intellectual kids in mind have been dumbed down for more commercial appeal. From the other reviews, it appears many readers loved these parts, but even if like me, you don't, they're easy enough to skim through without distracting from the story.

This is nothing like anything else I've ever read, so it's impossible to put it in a box, but I think it might appeal to fans of Chuck Palahniuk, Aldous Huxley or George Orwell.

An unputdownable, thought-provoking book.

Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
by Dino Sarma

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative and tasty!, 8 July 2007
This is a vegan cookbook with a difference- it doesn't rely on meat substitutes and instead has recipes showcasing how tasty vegan food can be.

There's a very helpful guide to kitchen equipment at the beginning and it's great for beginners or experienced cooks alike. The basic recipes section really *is* basic, with few ingredients and simple instructions, but innovative ideas that work really well. Even the advanced section is easy to follow.

Variations are offered for many of the recipes if you dislike or don't have certain ingredients, and the author encourages you to adapt recipes to your own tastes rather than stick rigidly to the recipes, which is great.

This book is a great all-rounder, but particularly good for anyone with soya allergies or anyone who just wants a vegan cookbook that's a bit different from the rest. Highly recommended.

Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-free Recipes
Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-free Recipes
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars a little taste of heaven!, 8 July 2007
I bought this cookbook on the merit of the chocolate chip cookies that a friend brought to a party (they were AMAZING, every bit as good if not better than the ones I used to buy from cookie bars in my pre-vegan days!) and her recommendation, and I haven't been disappointed, since everything I've tried yet has been just as good!

Both the sweet and savoury recipes in here are outstanding, and there's something for all tastes, from exotic curries to old, pre-vegan favourites like pizzas. As well as great recipes, she also offers tips on having a well stocked pantry and the best kind of equipment to buy and use. It's a great book for beginners and experienced cooks alike.

Vegetarian Cooking for People with Diabetes
Vegetarian Cooking for People with Diabetes
by Pat Stevenson

1.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed, 22 Jun. 2007
I bought this book and I'm very unimpressed indeed. There is a lot of diabetes health information, although I knew all of this already and just wanted some new recipe ideas, but unfortunately, as a cookbook it's very poor indeed- there aren't very many recipes, and there are whole pages dedicated to things which should really IMHO just be footnotes. One "recipe" for example is for "lighter side of blt" which is basically telling you to make up a blt using shop-bought faux bacon and wholemeal bread... as if that isn't glaringly obvious! There's a couple of okay recipes thrown in, but lots of fillers. If it's recipes you're after, buy a regular vegan cookbook instead, and just avoid using sugar and processed "white" foods.

Larger Than Life
Larger Than Life
by Adele Parks

2.0 out of 5 stars great contraceptive, 14 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Larger Than Life (Paperback)
Don't read this if you're pregnant or trying for a baby, it'll put you completely off the idea altogether! Or even while you're eating for that matter. It's written in the first person through the eyes of a whinging pregnant woman who seems to vomit on every other page when she isn't complaining of her dramatic weight gain and the lack of understanding from her boyfriend.

The main character aside, as there is at least some depth to her, the other characters are very cliched, particularly her glamorous mother, male chauvinist boyfriend and desperate singleton best mate.

I was very disappointed by this book as I usually enjoy Adele Parks' witty chicklit novels, but I found this one to be utterly depressing and poorly written, perhaps struggling to meet a publisher's deadline.