Profile for Mr. T. Clark > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. Clark

Mr. T. Clark (Linton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom)

Low-Speed Aerodynamics (Cambridge Aerospace Series)
Low-Speed Aerodynamics (Cambridge Aerospace Series)
by Joseph Katz
Price: 42.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Mistitled but excellent., 22 April 2010
Lets get this straight (perhaps addressing the comments of a couple of other reviewers at the same time):
This book is NOT about low speed aerodynamics.

It should be called "The Panel Method for final year and graduate engineers".

Chapters 1-3 are about general theory pertaining to panel methods, which is useful although better taught elsewhere. I was already familiar with the theory but think a beginner would have more success perhaps with one of John D Anderson's textbooks, or using the MIT OpenCourseWare lecture series.

Chapters 4-7 are about niche solutions for aerodynamic modeling. While useful, the computational ability of most lifting line and panel codes simply negates the usefulness of this stuff, as it requires a lot of theoretical work and simplifies geometries substantially.

Chapter 8 is a useful expose of lifting line theory, which is where things start to get useful for modern practical aerodynamics.

Chapters 9-10 are about the general theory of panel methods.

Chapters 11-13 are about the theory pertaining to specific types of panel methods (2D, 3D, Unsteady).

Chapter 14 is about the use of boundary layer modeling (momentum integral equation etc) to predict drag and separation characteristics. Health warning: this is only for 2D flows, it can be applied for 3D geometries but that implementation is not considered here.

Chapter 15 contains a discussion of various additions/ modifications which can be made to the panel method to extend it's functionality (free surfaces, internal flows, jet engine sources etc) but does not give technical details.

Appendices include panel codes (in FORTRAN 77). They're OK but not astonishingly clear. The book should probably be updated for vectorial expressions (F90 or MATLAB). MATLAB would be a better choice, as it has ready-coded matrix solver routines and various other useful functions.

** SUMMARY **

My position is that I'm implementing a panel method for a tidal stream turbine. I've found this to be a tremendously useful book - the theory of panel methods is not well dealt with elsewhere, so I'd previously trying to patch it together from the 'method' sections of people's theses. Fantastic.

The numerical explanations are also very good - it teaches you how to construct the matrix and RHS ready for solution (which was my problem). It does not concentrate on the matrix solution routine (rightly so, that's a subject all in itself, and there are many off-the-shelf routines available).

I have four criticisms:
- No mention of a rotating reference frame (e.g. propellers)
- No mention (that I've seen) of wake interaction with a solid component (e.g. wake from a wing intersects a pylon downstream)
- All formulations are for quadrilateral panels rather than triangular (although of course the theory extends)
- Codes would be clearer if updated to a vectorial language. They're also not supplied on CD or online, so if you want to use them, get typing!

Advances in Discrete Tomography and Its Applications (Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis)
by Gabor T. Herman
Price: 116.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Prepare yourself..., 21 Aug 2008
Really, this review is a health warning: Only suitable for people with a good background in applied mathematics.

I'm sure that the content of the book is extremely rigorous, with good applications. Certainly, it's written by prestigious names in the field. However, I can't vouch for that because I can't understand a word.

I won't criticise the book just because I'm not advanced enough in my own knowledge to understand it; but all I'm trying to say is that if you're an engineer or scientist from some other specialism, then don't expect an easy ride from this book at all.

Prandtl's Essentials of Fluid Mechanics (Applied Mathematical Sciences)
Prandtl's Essentials of Fluid Mechanics (Applied Mathematical Sciences)
by Herbert Oertel

5.0 out of 5 stars Essentials - clear, rigorous explanation of a wide subject area., 14 Mar 2008
Unlike many (all??!) other 'generic' fluids textbooks, this book genuinely does cover all aspects of the study of fluids. Of course all books are limited, but this gives good introduction to theory and applies it directly to an wide range of applications.

Note - I was a little misled by the title; this is not just a review of Prandtl's work!

Never, ANYWHERE, have I found it to sacrifice scientific rigour. Simultaneously, explanations are invariably concise and clear. Herbert Oertel (a distinguished fluid dynamicist in his own right) has done a great job of letting the extraordinary clarity of Prandtl's thinking shine out of the pages.

That said, if you're an undergraduate who doesn't intend to take fluids further, but just want to pull out a few equations and apply them / get a quick understanding; then you might be better-off with a book oriented solely at undergrads.

Of particular note is the treatment of the Euler family of equations (incl. Navier Stokes etc), and their derivations, mostly preferring derivative forms (e.g. for boundary layer equations) - which I (personally) find far preferable to integral equations, although these are of course presented too (and derived where appropriate).

Usage: I've used this book as a third year undergraduate an Master's student,in order to learn material that I hadn't understood in lectures. And boy does it teach you well. I now use it as a PhD student for reference, and reminding me of all those things I learned a few years ago!

Notes:

1. Treatment of compressible flow is present, and quite theoretical. Complements Anderson ('Modern Compressible Flow') nicely; but you supersonic people should buy Anderson first - particularly undergrads looking for a treatment of compressible behaviour.

2. (might be useful!) Anyone doing the University of Cambridge Engineering Department courses will find the approaches to many subjects to be closely aligned to the fluids group lectures. Can't say about any other Unis, but probably most undergrad courses will be similar!

Microsoft Wheelmouse Optical Mouse Corded USB and PS/2 Ambidextrous with Scroll Wheel Ref D66-00073

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and robust with smooth action, 9 Jan 2008
I've had this mouse for five years now, I think. I've never experienced a problem, and arrived upon this amazon site not to replace mine, but to buy another for my other laptop.

Pros:
Pointer NEVER jitters on the screen (a problem with inferior quality optical mice).
Comfortable to use
Easy to clean and never sticks to desk surface
It's reliable - I've been unplugging this and re-plugging it into different laptops, almost daily, for five years, with no problem. I've also dropped it a zillion times.

Cons:
As with all optical mice, don't expect it to work well on white, highly uneven, or transparent surfaces.
I have the white plastic version, which after five years daily use is going a bit yellow (as with all white plastic consumables of this nature).
There is a red L.E.D. at the base toward the back (I don't mean the optical led- this one's for show) which is constantly lit while the mouse is in use. It's not that bright, but might annoy some people who regularly use a mouse in a dark room.

Guitar Player Repair Guide: How to Set Up, Maintain and Repair Electrics and Acoustics
by Dan Erlewine

5.0 out of 5 stars Comment on Guitar Player Repair Guide (D. Erlewine), 16 Dec 2002
I have found this book a tremendously useful reference.
Containing essential measurements, step by step guides, and as many useful hints and tips as you can take in, this is THE reference book for those looking to set up their guitr, right from the basics like setting up a tremolo through to tuning tips.
My stratocaster now plays in tune (even with a standard vintage tremolo), has a far better tone than before, and does exactly what I want it to. I wont let a repair shop set up for me any more!
Thanks Dan, a cracker.