Profile for D. A. Storer > Reviews

Content by D. A. Storer

D. A. Storer "Fonte da Murta"

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt by a stupid switch, 14 Oct. 2013
This loop tester has an extremely bad design fault. The unit is "switched on" i.e. the 9 volt supply connected by virtue of the end of the headphone jack operating a tiny switch that is piggybacked onto the headphone socket. However the support for the switch is ridiculously flimsy and in my case the switch deflects and it would only switch on if you held down on the headphone jack.
I cannot see that this switch arrangement could withstand even a few cycles and it should have had a separate press button switch. A shame because it functions quite well in other respects

Efergy E2 eLink Wireless Smart Power Meter - Energy Saving Monitor
Efergy E2 eLink Wireless Smart Power Meter - Energy Saving Monitor
Offered by Smart Green Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of equipment, 19 April 2012
Having seen the two negative reports on Amazon I was a little apprehensive but I am quite amazed at what this device is capable of doing. The diminutive case is very much 'Apple like' and not at all cheap looking. The installation is very easy and the monitor can be mounted in various ways or can easily be carried around. I have had no problem with signal strength and my transmitter is mounted inside a metal "switch box" ( I am in Portugal and have a three phase supply) and even so I can carry the monitor around my quite large garden and see how certain outside devices affect the power being taken.
It offers many facilities for collecting data and I can't see that anyone would want more information to be able to understand where they are using power but I guarantee some surprises and it is quite difficult to reduce the last 500 watts or so.
The software for logging the figures on to a PC, or in my case an iMac, gives a good clear display with clear menus and it is very easy to switch from one unit (power; cost; Day; Week, etc. etc.)
I had one slight misunderstanding of the instructions (entirely my mistake) and I telephoned their Sheffield Help Line and got immediate, friendly advice.
I don't care where this unit is made, the design and the implementation is superbly carried out and you have the huge advantage of accessible support.
I can't recommend it enough and at this price, everyone should have one. Well done Efergy

Cross Bones: (Temperance Brennan 8)
Cross Bones: (Temperance Brennan 8)
by Kathy Reichs

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 18 Feb. 2012
Kathy Reichs is a new author to me and it would appear that I picked on her worst book, but it is most unlikely that I would be tempted to read any of her other offerings.
It seems to me that it fails in every respect. Firstly the writing style is most irritating and particularly so for British readers. The characters are badly portrayed, lack conviction and the detail is very suspect. Most of all, the plot is utterly unbelievable and I could not bear to read any further than 90 pages. I did try but really, this is a very poor effort and it gives the impression of being written in between Ms. Reichs's, no doubt, hectic other profession. It hardly deserves 1 star

Allcam Medium Arm TV Bracket Universal for 37" 40" 42" 46" 50" 55" LED/LCD/Plasma TVs Wall Mount (Pull-out, Swivel, Tilt) in Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Boy, 17 Nov. 2011
This bracket is very substantial and I would imagine would accept the very largest of TV's It has plenty of scope for adjustment in most planes, with the forward extension being most impressive and with no hint of "droop". It closes down commendably tight and will suit normal cables. Indeed for it to close any tighter you would have to make special provision for the cables plugged into the back of the TV.
Plenty of bolts etc. are provided to fix the vertical arms to the TV and there are a good selection of holes to choose from. The wall fixing bolts are good quality for most walls but mine being hollow, I chose to fill with resin before inserting the plugs. A word of caution though in that I separated the back plate from the hinge assembly in order to mark out the holes on the required wall centre line (it is far too heavy to do so assembled with one person)and after reassembly and mounting it on the wall, realised that there is a substantial offset. Fortunately, I was able to use two existing wall plugs and drill for two new ones using the selection of positions in the back plate to give an approximate correction and there is further adjustment available by sliding the brackets along the front horizontal rail. Perhaps this aspect should be made clearer.
One small difficulty is the alteration to tilt and it is very hard to get it near to vertical with one person lifting and having to tighten at the same time as you can only adjust one side at a time. Ideally, you need one person to lift equally both sides and one each side to tighten the clamp.
All things considered, I do not think I could have done better.

Garmin nuvi 2440 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps
Garmin nuvi 2440 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 29 Aug. 2011
I had very mixed feelings about buying Garmin again after a poor experience with a nuvi 255WT. Basically I purchased a lifetime update for this and then on the second time using it, just before a very long trip it consistently placed me about 10km from my actual position. I could have got a new one for £85 and retained the update but this did not seem very cost effective on a 4 year old model.
Looking at all the newer models they all seemed to have a broad spread of good and bad reviews but this one seemed slightly better.
All this just before a long trip from the Algarve to various places in UK and then back again to the Algarve.
Generally speaking. it performed quite well in Portugal, Spain and UK but you have to be careful to select the appropriate "Avoidances" and particularly the "Motorway", "Toll Roads" and "No U Turns".
The latter is particularly important because, whereas my previous unit told me ("Recalculating") when I had made an error, this one does not and it starts to recalculate very quickly. Therefore rather than giving you the chance of doing a U turn it can take you miles off track to come back to the same route.
I did not take advantage of the free 60 day update before departing so that I could have the most up to date maps just before the free issue expires. The result was that it did not recognize quite a few road changes that looked quite as though they had been completed some time previously. I can't blame it for that but I have some severe misgivings about a map update because of the last experience and the awful procedure on the website.
Basically, I think Garmin leave a huge amount to be desired and they are only marginally better than Tom Tom but this item got me out of more difficulties than it got me into.

RTX Dualphone 3088 (Additional Handset)
RTX Dualphone 3088 (Additional Handset)

5.0 out of 5 stars Skype phone, 7 Dec. 2010
In general this is a good piece of equipment but it could do with more development and better support. The voice quality is quite variable and I cannot pin down what causes the distortion which occurs sometimes. The end result is that my wife will not use it.
This handset was to replace one that failed by having no display after about 12 months. It should be very popular for Skype users and if there was some competition the manufacturers might get their fingers out and resolve these problems. On the other hand the Marketplace suppliers and Amazon performed really well with very prompt delivery.

Church Representation Rules 2006
Church Representation Rules 2006
by Church House Publish

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Reference, 8 Jan. 2010
For anyone involved in church management, this is an invaluable source of information on procedures. For the price, every church council member should have one.

Panasonic SH-FX70E Home Audio System
Panasonic SH-FX70E Home Audio System

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic quality, 8 Jan. 2010
My home has floor tiles throughout and no carpets to hide speaker cables so purchasing this was the only real way I could achieve surround sound with my Panasonic home cinema equipment.
It integrates very well and was no problem to install and the results are good and I have experienced no problems with interference from my wireless router which sits behind the TV.
Delivery was very quick and packing likewise.
Although a rather expensive solution to the problem I would recommend it to anyone with similar domestic arrangements.

Wireless Home Networking In Easy Steps, 2nd Edition
Wireless Home Networking In Easy Steps, 2nd Edition
by Michael Price

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Nov. 2009
when I started to read this, I thought it looked promising but as I progressed through it I started to get annoyed about the fragmented layout dodging from one O/System to another and not really being able to keep the thread. I will try again but am not hopeful. Now of course we have Win 7 which will confuse matters somemore!

Panasonic TX-P42G15B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Plasma TV with Freesat HD (Installation Recommended) & Viera Cast

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 27 Nov. 2009
This is a lovely piece of equipment. I have not explored all its features yet but those I have are most impressive. The picture quality is superb and even the sound is not too bad (although I bought the Blu-Ray Home Cinema at the same time so use this mainly).
What is so impressive is the well thought out set up procedures. The simple stuff is almost all automatic and yet there are lots of tweaks that are accessible if you care to look. The manuals are good, in complete contrast to those in a Panasonic DVD recorder I bought a few years ago and I hope to have everything set up nicely over the next few weeks. I will update this preliminary review then but for the moment, I am delighted and more to the point, so is my wife!

Page: 1 | 2