Profile for Gerry Benjamin > Reviews

Content by Gerry Benjamin

Gerry Benjamin "Ben" (Penzance, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Down to Your Underwear, Please - Life as a Cornish Osteopath
Down to Your Underwear, Please - Life as a Cornish Osteopath
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read!, 20 Dec 2013
Bought this for my Kindle. I had always wondered what an Osteopath was and did? Many years ago through a shoulder / back injury from playing golf, I visited a chiropractor in Leicester and had several courses of treatment. It never occurred to me to visit an osteopath, but then as I said, I didn't know what one was? I came across this book on Kindle and decided to purchase it and perhaps it would fill in all the gaps?

I have to conclude, the book is extremely well written! Not knowing what to expect from the author, you would probably think something technical and a little too much to take in? Not so... I was really pleased and more than surprised that it gave an insight into her life as an osteopath and the daily occurrences she encountered in her chosen profession! Amanda King has really thought this one through exceedingly well, she puts it across in a way that it was a delight to read! She does not mince her words either, and gives you 'as it is' about her life in the profession from the beginnings of her chosen career, the personal commitment she made, the strength of her wonderful family in supporting her throughout the 5 years she studied to achieve her Degree. A truly remarkable lady, that didn't give up, and her enthusiasm to learn about her craft, and most of all, her lifelong desire to help and try alleviate pain we could all suffer in our lives. Amanda outlines examinations conducted, an honest account from the early 'fumblings' with fellow students in her training at University, to her now expert knowledge she possesses today, but also an insight into the interviews conducted to tease out history from the patient to her conclusions that allow her to prepare a plan for treatment.

I read the book over two evenings, it was compelling, I couldn't put it down! There is a lighthearted and extremely funny side to the book, but also a serious side with the trials and tribulations of dealing with the 'Professionals' in healthcare who are dismissive of Osteopaths, and the frustrations of being classed an 'Alternative Therapy' and put in the same Genre as Reiki and others of that nature. Amanda makes that perfectly clear and defends her profession passionately and admirably, and gives us the reasons why she is so loyal to the cause!

A truly magnificent Gem of a book, well written by the author who definitely knows her stuff! I would recommend this book to anyone, and I would tell them there are a few surprises in it too! A great book and a fantastic read that will inform you as to the role of an osteopath. Well worth every penny and I hear that it is being released in Paperback/Hardback soon so will be placing my order for one, I can't wait!

Storage Options 52403 Home Security & Surveillance System-Indoor/Outdoor CCTV Camera Starter Kit with IR Night Vision Camera & SD DVR
Price: 89.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I expected?, 23 May 2012
Ordered this CCTV and it arrived well packaged. Came with a 4GB card not 2GB as advertised. Easy to install and setup.

Picture quality Blurred.. not the best: It is not sharply focused. If you are going to use this camera in close proximity, forget it? I have it placed approximately 5 metres from my garden shed and it just about shows some area around the shed? The Zoom function is useless if you zoom in on something... the quality of picture gets even worse? But if you want it for long range, you probably might struggle to see any faces or registration numbers? The colours are wrong.... I was wearing black trousers and T shirt, they showed up light pink on the screen? Other colours are out so not a very reliable security feature... especially if the Police require it for crime evidence and you cannot tell what colour clothes the suspect was wearing or see his face through lack of clarity?

I will be contacting Storage Options about these issues, and will publish their reply?

I did contact storage solutions and they provided me with information that answers my issues. I am not a Techy type so really have to trust what is being sold to me 'as it is'? There were no reviews of this product so I do hope it can throw a little light to other like minded non Techy people?

Storage Solutions informed me that the product I bought was newer stock therefore I got a 4GB card not a 2GB as advertised.
The Camera is Standard Definition therefore not as sharp and crisper picture. The zoom is Digital Zoom therefore degrades very quickly with use. The Camera does not have an Infra Red Filter so therefore the sun/lighting will give false colours?
The Lens is Narrow Field, not wide angle, therefore you will not get a good field of view, and of course like I said, the further away the capture is, the less distinguishable the Picture/subject will be?

The Camera seems a good strong build. The night time IR is not as adequate as I would have wanted, anything more than 5 metres away is undistinguished?

So in my opinion what you see is what you get for the price? Next time I will go for a HD Camera, a wider angle lens, and IR filter. The Recorder side of the kit performs well, but for some unknown reason the previous days recording disappears? I've tried looking for it but It has just can't be found?

Grisport Unisex Dartmoor Hiking Shoe
Grisport Unisex Dartmoor Hiking Shoe
Price: 61.99 - 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Best' of the Rest!, 9 April 2012
I have had a lot of difficulty in recent years trying to find a really comfortable walking 'shoe'?

I've paid as much as 100 or more only to find most were either too tight, not waterproof, didn't last long and soon fell apart? I've trolled hundreds of websites and shops but never ever came close to acquiring a shoe that I wanted...till now!!

I think we are all aware the vast difference shoe sizes are, I'm normally a size 11 and have had size 10's fit like size 12's and vice versa!

I saw these advertised on Amazon in July 2011, read all the reviews... all 4 or 5 star, no lesser ones, and the product seemed too good to be true?

I ordered the size 12 immediately, taking into account the socks etc... and when they arrived, I was most impressed by the quality of the material how well the shoe was put together. The shoe fitted like a glove, I suffer aching feet even before I go for a walk, but these shoes were like putting on my slippers.... Yes, they were that comfortable!!!

It is now April 2012... had the shoes 8 months now, walk on average of 2 mile a day across the cliffs and hard paths of West Cornwall.. and they still look brand new!!! I'm not even considering buying a new pair yet as it looks as if these will last a few good years!

I would recommend them to anyone... they are the Best of the Rest!

I would recommend at least once a week, and after they get wet (on the outside, they are completely waterproof) to use dubbing as routine maintenance, that way the leather will stay supple and last for years.

UPDATE!!!
December. 2013.... Amazing shoes! Still going strong... a bit of wear now but no splits or anything significant. Never ever had a pair of walking shoes last so long as these, wear them nearly ever day.

Cable-Tex 20m USB2 Active Extension Repeater Cable Lead 20 meters
Cable-Tex 20m USB2 Active Extension Repeater Cable Lead 20 meters
Offered by PCArena
Price: 24.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Service, Brilliant Product!, 2 April 2012
I am heavily into Astronomy, and since buying my new Scope, I've now moved onto Astrophotography? Nights can be extremely cold and I decided... why spend cold nights out, when I can easily do all this from the warmth and comfort of my warm home? My scope has the full Goto/GPS fitted. I wanted a cable that I could connect to my Microsoft HD Home cinema Webcam that I have adapted to use with my scope... (my hand held control also has a 20m extension cable) and can now connect them to my PC indoors and work the scope from there!

I looked to see if there was a USB cable on the market that was;

1) Long enough.
2) Capable of sending a signal that distance to my PC from the rear garden without signal problems?

PC Arena had the answer! I ordered the 20m cable and it was delivered super fast! I've tested it out already and it really does the job extremely well. I'm very pleased with the cable. It came well packaged, and looks/Feels a really good quality item.

Thank you PC Arena! I fully recommend this cable, and if you do buy on Amazon, make sure you order from an excellent service that PC Arena provide.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2013 11:18 PM BST

Exposure and Understanding the Histogram
Exposure and Understanding the Histogram
Price: 2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative and easy to read information., 31 Mar 2012
I bought this for my Kindle and it, like my camera goes everywhere I do! The information is easy to digest, it is well written and the Histogram on my Canon DSLR is now something I fully understand!

This book is a must if you own a digital camera which has an Histogram, believe me when I say gone are the days when I thought I had taken the perfect shot only to find that once downloaded on my laptop, it was a big disappointment! Now, once the shot has been taken I refer back to the histogram and can read what information is given, confident that I won't mess up important shots again!!

Sogo
Sogo
Price: 9.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Music!, 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: Sogo (Audio CD)
I've seen Baka Beyond live on two occasions in Penzance at the Golowan Festival.. their music is inspirational! My Favourite is the first track 'See Winter'.... but then all the tracks are really good, and there are not many albums you buy where you like all the tracks?

This album is now on my Ipod and whenever I am walking the cliffs in West Cornwall this is probably the album I most like to play!

Active Pro - High Grade Protective Neoprene Lens Pouch for Nikon / Sony / Canon EOS Lenses - 4 Size Multi Pack (S, M, L & XL) - Hook and Belt Loop
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value For Money!, 31 Mar 2012
I've owned my Canon EOS 500D DSLR for around 2 years now, and have purchased a couple of additional lenses, a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens and a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens. I take my camera and lenses wherever I go and until now have kept the lenses in thick woolly socks in my shoulder bag!! I Know.... over 500 worth of lenses deserve better than this?

A usual browse through my favourite shopping site here at Amazon and I came across this multi-pack of lens cases. Read the reviews, and I was a bit dubious about the sizes someone had so kindly put on their review. The sizes seemed a little too big for what I wanted, but decided to order as the price was good compared to some of the cases which either seemed tacky and expensive, or expensive!!

They arrived very quickly, and I'm really pleased with the result! The large lens goes in the largest bag, which in turn goes into the next size down, and same for the small lens! Double protection... which is great!

I would have no hesitation in recommending these lens cases to everyone!

Acer V223HQVb 21.5 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black (VGA, 1920 x 1080, 20000:1, 5ms, 200 cd/m)

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right...for the price!, 9 Mar 2012
I'm not one of those techno thingamyjigs....just wanted a large screen to see better as my Acer laptop 15" screen is too small.
No problems so far, crisp bright picture, no messing about as it all seems to run OK without any tampering.
Only downside is the darker Grey's, there seems to be a considerable 'Flicker'?? I use photoshop elements 10 and it's really annoying? I've used the screen on both my laptops... both Acer, one runs Vista, the other 64 bit windows 7. Still get the flicker? Have tried to correct, but not found the solution? Any ideas????
All in all worth the cheapness... I guess I will need to pay double or more to stop the flicker!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2012 1:27 PM BST

Silverline 365874 Twin Site Lights 230V
Silverline 365874 Twin Site Lights 230V
Price: 24.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Portable Lighting..Good Quality for the Price!, 9 Mar 2012
I bought this product because I needed lighting for my Hobby as an amateur Astronomist? Where I live, although there really isn't a problem with light pollution as such, the darker the better is always good! I like to travel out on the moors and hills here in West Cornwall, and have a small portable generator.. around 900watts output.
These portable lights all come with 500 watt bulbs but I decided to buy, and replace the bulbs with smaller wattage. It arrived on time and set up easily. I replaced the bulbs with 150watts, and they work really well on the small generator.
I'm not sure if people are aware but if you do change the bulbs, make sure you do not touch the glass of the bulb? The reason is because we can leave grease marks on them and they will burn out really quickly. The grease marks can fracture the glass microscopically under the intense heat and hence they fail.
Use an handkerchief or dry clean cloth to handle.
I haven't used my lights yet...(can't wait, but the weathers been really naff.. too much cloud!!) but I will now be able to set up and take everything down in decent light!

Eazy Bed Double Bed (195 x 135cm) as seen on PITCH TV
Eazy Bed Double Bed (195 x 135cm) as seen on PITCH TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive!, 9 Mar 2012
Because I've downsized my property and only have a 1 bedroom bungalow, I occasionally have family come visit me as I live in beautiful Cornwall next to the sea. My eldest daughter and her partner came to stay a week, last September... and I gave up my bed for them and slept on large cushions in the lounge.
Not a comfortable experience as my bed is an expensive memory foam mattress. My daughter is visiting again in June this year, for two weeks...! So I decided I needed to sort out the sleeping arrangements better? Had seen this product on the TV and was impressed, but I've has serious issues with inflatable beds in the past, and usually ended up a couple or three times having to re-inflate during the night!
A little apprehensive because of this, and the product is quite an investment, decided to give it a go. Ordered through Amazon, price was 179.99 free delivery for the double bed. It arrived really quickly.. within 3 days... set it up and as the adverts says was ready to sleep on within 3 minutes. I laid on it and it felt really comfortable! Haven't used it yet.. (well they haven't Lol..) but will report back later when they do.
Jury is still out regarding whether it will keep inflated? It comes with a small patch for repair should this happen which leaves me to believe the possibility of this happening is real?
The good side is it packs away really quickly, and fits into my small closet in the hallway out of sight and mind. Early days really as to how good it is, but at the moment it meets my approval. The price I noticed has jumped too, It's now advertised at 209!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3