Profile for N. L. Thompson > Reviews

Content by N. L. Thompson

N. L. Thompson "Moderations in all things, including moderation." (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Tapatalk
Tapatalk

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to learn and easy to use., 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tapatalk (App)
This app gives me a quick and simple way to read and reply to forum topics from my Kindle Fire. It does exactly what it says it will do with ease.

Hidden (A Bone Secrets Novel)
Hidden (A Bone Secrets Novel)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good plot line but a bit forced, 16 Jan 2014
I did like the way the story unfolded for the most part, it was just the character development I had trouble with. I just got the impression that the author found herself with plot lines that made no sense so had to go back and add in scenes to make them fit.

For instance the scene in the cabin would have made more sense if the author had taken the time to show us that secondary female character more thoroughly in the beginning and if we had been given more than a short paragraph glimpse of the daughter. Instead the author spent a lot of time tying up loose threads and covering her tracks after the story itself was over.

Am I likely to read more from this author? Possibly. But if the second story is no better I won't pick up a third.

Diary of a Heretic: The Pagan Adventures of a Christian Priest
Diary of a Heretic: The Pagan Adventures of a Christian Priest

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark bares his soul, 14 Nov 2013
There is a bit of risk in writing a biographical book. Especially when you are writing as someone who has been held up by others to a greater level of expectation. People don't want their spiritual leaders to have human failings.

As a Pagan High Priestess with over 20 years practice I know first-hand what a burden it can be when others place you on a pedestal. Eventually you will fall off!

Mark bares all, showing himself as the wonderfully human man that he is. He doesn't do it to seek redemption, nor is this an attempt to sully the reputations of others who have wronged him. Indeed, he takes great pains to make sure names are not named.

Spiritual paths are seldom easy or straightforward. It is all too easy to lose your way as you try to figure out if you are even on that path. often times the writers and so called spiritual gurus present only the positive and the good thoughts, making readers think the only way to really be doing spiritual work "right" is by not striving towards, but constantly living in a state of non-doubt, non-questioning spiritual perfection. Not all spiritual leaders are placed on pedestals by their followers. Some climb up their all on their own, and then fight tooth and nail to maintain that illusion.

What Mark provides here is hope. If he can find his way back onto his own spiritual path, then so can the rest of us. If he can have doubts and imperfections and still find solace in his personal relationship with Spirit, then so can we.

2014 Organised Mum Family Weekly Planner
2014 Organised Mum Family Weekly Planner

5.0 out of 5 stars What every family needs to keep organised, 30 Oct 2013
I have been using Organised Mum products since 2007, and am a very satisfied customer. As my children have gotten older and their schedules become more diverse I have needed a way to keep track of not only my appointments, but school and activities as well. At the same time, I am wanting my children to start taking some responsibility for keeping track of their own schedules.

I looked at various family planners both online and in local book shops, but ultimately came back to get the Family Weekly Planner.

First thing I did was sit down and transfer all the scheduled appointments and school dates into this calendar. The columns make it easy to keep track of everything that is going on for both my children. Extra columns allow me to keep track of upcoming birthdays and holidays, and I have designated one column for keeping track of bill payments. No more forgetting to pay my bills!

My next step will be to find a place to hang up the OM Family Weekly Planner - in a place where we will all be able to see it every day.

My thanks to the OM folk for putting together such a fantastic resource for busty families.

Fractured
Fractured

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
I borrowed this book from the kindle library. The story line hooked me from the very beginning, the subtle clues as to what was going on were just enough to keep me wondering without giving the game away.

This is Dani Atkins debut as an author I have read elsewhere. Full marks to her for a book well written and a plot that kept me intrigued until the final page.

Damocles
Damocles

5.0 out of 5 stars I was hooked from the first page, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Damocles (Kindle Edition)
Sci fi technonerds may fuss at the technical aspects of space travel, but this story is about so much more than that. The aliens have arrived and they are us. I can see so many parallels in our own world where two groups try to find a way of communicating when they share no common history and no common life experiences. More than anything this was a story of hope and of love.

I know a good book when I reach the end and I want the story to continue. I want to know what happens next. Is the final message ever translated? How does this world change as a result of their alien Urfer encounter?

I am very glad I read Damocles, it has touched me quite deeply.

Bloodfire (Blood Destiny Book 1)
Bloodfire (Blood Destiny Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow start but quickly became engaging, 11 May 2013
I thought Bloodfire was a bit slow in the first few pages, but from there it quickly caught me up in the story. A major point for me is that I have to like the main character. Mack is the sort of woman I would like to have as a friend, and I would definitely want to have by my side or watching my back in times of trouble.

Another tell for me is how I feel at the end of the story. A good tale saddens me at the end because I am reluctant to leave. By the end of Bloodfire, I wanted to remain in that world a little bit longer. So I'm off now to find the next book in the series.

SKK Premium Plus  Sauté Pan, 28x7.5cm
SKK Premium Plus Sauté Pan, 28x7.5cm
Offered by Emporium Cookshop & Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars A saute pan that will last a lifetime, 6 May 2013
I have 2 SKK products, this sauté pan and a deeper stew pot. I bought these over 10 years ago and they are still working as good as the day I bought them. These were definitely worth the investment!

I have reviewed the SKK sauté pan further plus provided links to some of my favourite recipes for foods I have cooked using this pan. [...]

I use this cookware 7 days a week trying to keep up with the hungry demands of 2 growing boys. What I especially love is that I can transfer dishes from the cooktop into the oven. Freeing me to do other things outside of the kitchen.

And clean up is a cinch. No hard scrubbing, no burnt on bits. Even on those days when I don't get the pan washed the same day, next day - it washes clean just as quickly, without soaking.

I've never had a problem with the non-stick coating, unlike some teflon coated brands which flake leaving nasty bits in your food.

If you're wondering if you can afford a full set, just buy one. Yes, you could buy something cheaper, but if you have to replace it every 2 years, or 5 years, then you haven't really saved any money.

If you are thinking about getting the SKK pan, do.

Blood Bound: Mercy Thompson, Book 2
Blood Bound: Mercy Thompson, Book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantasy escape, 10 April 2013
I enjoy reading contemporary fantasy but quickly grow bored if the author presents a sequence of sex scenes interspersed with a minor attempt at a plot line. I've come across the Mercy Thompson books before but didn't pick one up to read until recently. I was pleasantly surprised to find a well written story. I look forward to reading more of this series.

Two Old Fools on a Camel: From Spain to Bahrain and back again
Two Old Fools on a Camel: From Spain to Bahrain and back again

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent storyteller, 24 Feb 2013
Vicky Twead is a gifted storyteller. With her words she is able to bring her world to life. I sat in the bus beside Vicky as she travelled to and from ASS (Where All Students Succeed), experienced every moment of joy and of fear, and for just the brief moment in time was able to forget my own troubles as I immersed myself in this book.

Thank you, Vicky. I look forward to reading of your next adventure.

Page: 1 | 2