Profile for Jonathan > Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 July 2014
Like the bright colours.

Kingston DataTraveler 32GB USB 3.0 R30 G2 Flash Drive
Kingston DataTraveler 32GB USB 3.0 R30 G2 Flash Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine except that the rubber outer layer is a bit ..., 22 July 2014
Fine except that the rubber outer layer is a bit flimsy so I am bit concerned it may not last.

Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum
Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum
by Leonard Susskind

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea..., 21 Mar 2014
I'm afraid, after trying to get into this book for a few days I sent it back to Amazon for a refund. It's neither a popular science book or a book to learn quantum mechanics rigorously. Instead, it sits somewhere in between, introducing the novice to some of the mathematical concepts that underpin the subject. This could be the inspirational stimulus needed to delve into the subject more deeply but personally I found the approach and style off-putting.

Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
by Mary L. Boas

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference, 18 Oct 2013
I bought this book as a reference tool to support my applied maths undergraduate studies. It's compact, broad ranging and well written. I have already used it several times and found it very helpful. It's quite expensive though so I would recommend looking for a second hand hardback copy - I managed to find one in good condition for £25.

Passing the UKCAT and BMAT: Advice, Guidance and Over 600 Questions for Revision and Practice (Student Guides to University Entrance Series)
by Rosalie Hutton

3.0 out of 5 stars Better alternatives out there..., 30 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I obtained this book for my daughter who is currently studying for UKCAT so my review is partly based on her comments and her usage. She already had a copy of the popular ISCmedical book Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions. Includes Full Mock Exam, comprehensive tips, techniques and explanations. which is similarly priced and she has been signed up for an online course. With two weeks to go before the exam she has hardly used this book. Although this book is similar to the ISCmedical book in terms of content (advice and questions), it is not as well laid out and the print looks washed out. But the main reason she hasn't used this book much is that she is almost exclusively using the online course which provides a more realistic experience of the computer-based UKCAT exam; gives more detailed advice; has a larger question library; provides personalised feedback and is more up-to-date (at the time of this review neither book has questions for the new situational judgement section). So if you can afford it I would recommend signing up to an online course but if you are on a tight budget then the ISCmedical book is the best choice.

Waterman Hémisphère 10 Fountain Pen Lacquered Purple Steel Nib M Chrome Attributes
Offered by Pilotfish Pens

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, 28 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I obtained this product as part of the vine program and passed it onto my wife who uses fountain pens. As it's purple I decided to purchase a convertor and some purple ink which makes it a bit more special. It's slim and looks elegant. My wife is pleased with the quality of the product and particularly likes the fact that it is lightweight compared to other fountain pens she uses.

Schaum's 3,000 Solved Problems in Physics (Schaum's Outline Series)
Schaum's 3,000 Solved Problems in Physics (Schaum's Outline Series)
by Alvin Halpern

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 12 Feb 2013
This is an excellent resource for any student who needs to practice school or university level physics problems. A vast amount of material is covered and, although I will probably only attempt a fraction of the 3000 problems, it's reassuring to know that when I am struggling to tackle a physics problem this book should contain a similar problem. I also like the style of the book with the answer to each problem being located just underneath the problem itself - this saves lots of time. SI units are used for the most part. The answers themselves usually include some explanation which is helpful. There are numerous, helpful diagrams. Of the problems I have tackled so far there been any errors. Just a warning about the production quality - the paper is the recycled variety so looks and feels pretty cheap and the font size is quite small.

Advanced Physics (Advanced Science)
Advanced Physics (Advanced Science)
by Steve Adams

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent text, but..., 27 Jan 2013
Despite being released over 10 years ago I think that this still remains the best choice for those looking for a core A-level physics textbook. Its explanations are concise and lucid, it covers a huge amount of material and the layout is superb. It has two drawbacks that stop it getting 5 stars - it is rather expensive and, as another reviewer has noted, there are quite a few errors in the calculations. Not sure if the OUP are listening but a second (or revised) edition would be a great idea.

VMware Fusion 5 (Mac)
VMware Fusion 5 (Mac)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost seamless transition, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: VMware Fusion 5 (Mac) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I converted from PCs to Macs a few years ago I needed to be able to continue running some PC based software. At that stage there was a choice between dual booting using Boot Camp or using one the emulators such as VM Fusion or Parallels. I opted for VM Fusion and since then have generally found that this product works well on my MacBook Pro. It's generally stable but you do need to have enough memory on your computer to run both programs together - upgrading to 8GB of RAM made things much quicker. I occasionally have difficulty getting the printer facility to work from Windows (I am connecting wirelessly to my printer via another Mac). Accessing the file structure of both OS is simple and seamless. As I feel that the Mac offers better security, I rarely access the internet using Windows - switching to Safari if when I need to go on the web. Connecting peripherals is easy - you are given the choice of which operating system you want to connect to. Overall if you need to run Windows on a Mac I would recommend this product.

AS Level Biology for AQA: Student Book
AS Level Biology for AQA: Student Book
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for revision, 21 Sep 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this book for my daughter who has just started AS biology and she is using it all the time. Unlike her main textbook which is a lump to carry around this book can be transported around easily and is made to a high standard so hasn't fallen to pieces despite heavy use. The sections are well presented with clear explanations and diagrams. The concise style and practice exam questions mean that, at the beginning of her course, she has been made aware of the overall structure of the course and has started to think about next year's exam - June 2013 is not far away! Only minor gripe is a few typos but overall I would highly recommend buying a copy to supplement the main textbook.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4