Profile for Philip Lewis > Reviews

Philip Lewis (Wales, UK)

Ecozone Staple-less Eco-stapler
Ecozone Staple-less Eco-stapler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great invention, 23 Nov. 2013
As someone who loves doing little things to help the environment as often as I can, this is a great thing to have to hand in the office. As other reviewers have correctly pointed out, this stapler can only manage 2 or 3 pieces of paper at a time, but if you regularly need to attach just a page or two with, say, a complement slip attached, then this staple-less stapler is perfect. Ok, maybe this item won't save the world on its own, but as they say, every little helps.

Billy Connolly: Live - Was It Something I Said? [DVD] (2007)
Billy Connolly: Live - Was It Something I Said? [DVD] (2007)
Dvd ~ Billy Connolly
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Is Billy suffering from burn-out?, 5 Jan. 2008
I hate to be negative, but I believe this has to be said, as Billy Connolly is a living legend, but this DVD shouldn't have been released. I've seen him live and have some of his earlier DVDs and his performances have always been excellent. However, I don't know if he's lost his touch, or if this was just an off-night, but he just came across as a really angry bloke, rather than the really funny angry bloke I remember. There's a lot about this world at the moment to be very angry about, and he hit the nail on the head many times, and this was refreshing as he vehemently defied the PC brigade. But Billy's anger and cynicism seems to have taken over, and the unique humour and observational wit was lost on this occasion. Don't take my word for it, you may love it. There are some quite funny moments, but not quite enough of them. I still take my hat off to a man who can do stand-up for 2 hours without a break, but this performance doesn't really hit the spot. He's lost that spark he used to have, and appeared tired and aged. Crikey, even some of the people in the front row of the audience, who the camera frequently panned to, appeared mostly bemused rather than amused.

Wipe The Windows, Check The Oil, Dollar.. [Us Import]
Wipe The Windows, Check The Oil, Dollar.. [Us Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Their greatest achievement, 21 Dec. 2007
Why, oh why is this live album so difficult to get on CD ? I've had it on vinyl since the late Seventies. The version of "In memory of Elizabeth Reed" is longer (if I remember rightly), mellower and better than the one on the "Live at Fillmore East" album. It constitutes the whole of side 2 of what was the double vinyl album, and it used to send me into a blissful chilled-out state back in my younger days. Wonderful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2011 5:37 PM BST

Garlands
Garlands

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely wonderful album, 3 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Garlands (Audio CD)
I can't believe the negative comments I've been reading about this album. I owned it on vinyl as an angst-ridden student in the early 1980s, and just loved its dark, haunting and melancholy sounds. Yes it was a raw sound, but nonetheless wonderful. For some reason I never bought any of their subsequent albums, and therefore recently purchased, out of curiosity, one of their collections albums (Stars And Topsoil), believing that the standards set with Garlands may have been maintained, or even improved upon. I was a little bit disappointed. After Garlands it seems they lost much of their moody and melancholy minor key sound, which I had loved, and now seemed to create music that was far too optimistic, and mostly in major keys. So, to me, Garlands seems to have been Cocteau Twins' high point, an absolute gem.

Single Factor
Single Factor
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than anticipated., 1 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Single Factor (Audio CD)
I got into Camel a couple of years ago and gradually bought their back catalogue. I'd put off getting this one as it seemed to have the tag of Camel's worst album. Being a bit of a completist I recently decided to take the plunge, but frankly I was worried that it would be dreadful. I was extremely relieved therefore when I discovered that it is an eminently listenable album. The sounds and textures of the music are very nice. I imagine that the reason why there was negativity about this album was that it was the next one after "Nude", which is arguably their best ever album. "Nude" was an amazingly crafted concept album which was more sophisticated than their previous releases, and it was always going to be a hard act to follow. Fans expecting "Single Factor" to be Nude part 2 were always going to be disappointed as this was no concept album, but an individual collection of songs. It remains a very good album, more melodic than prog, granted, but I'm pleased that it's finally part of my CD collection.

Train of Thought
Train of Thought

5.0 out of 5 stars best one for a while, 23 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Train of Thought (Audio CD)
I've always preferred the heavier stuff anyway, so am delighted with this one. The previous album ("Six Degrees...")had some great heavy moments in it, but these were a bit few and far between for my liking. The pomp and overly "stage musical" feel of parts of Six Degrees frustrated me a bit. Therefore, it was a wonderful surprise to hear "Train Of Thought", as it's pretty much heavy all the way through. It's more reminiscent of their prog-tastic earlier albums, which suits me fine. It's a slight pity that James LaBrie doesn't have quite the vocal range that he used to have. I think his poor larynx must have had such a battering in the early 'Nineties, there was no way he was going to be able to keep that up, poor chap. Never mind, still a great album.

Live At The Marquee
Live At The Marquee

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute joy !!, 2 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Live At The Marquee (Audio CD)
This was the first Dream Theater album I ever heard, buying it on a whim in a second hand record shop after seeing a brief clip of them on a late night heavy metal tv show (Raw Power),having been impressed. Not being a big fan of live albums I wasn't sure if I'd like it. How wrong I was!! It turned out to be the most satisfying, mind blowing heavy rock I'd ever heard, and I became an instant convert to the band. James LaBrie's vocals are perfect on this album, he could really hit those high notes back then; that is, he could scream in tune, as a proper heavy metal vocalist should. Also a fab version of "Surrounded", better than the studio version on Images and Words. Yes it's a ballad, but a wonderful track. Dream Theater are sometimes accused of being pretentious muzos who create overly long and complex songs. However, this is the very reason why they are also loved by their fans. This is the thinking man's (and woman's)heavy metal band.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2009 9:05 PM GMT