Profile for Mark Trudinger > Reviews

Content by Mark Trudinger

Mark Trudinger "Mark" (Singapore)

Le Creuset Toughened Non-Stick Crepe Pan, 24 cm
Le Creuset Toughened Non-Stick Crepe Pan, 24 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm thrilled with thhis pan!, 19 Mar 2014
Makes perfect sized pancakes. Easy to toss. Brilliant non stick so far, but the best bit is that it comes with a life time guarantee so I'll never need to buy another panacake pan.

Locker 33
Locker 33

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting & Adventurous Tale for Children, 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: Locker 33 (Kindle Edition)
"Hope is a fragile thing. In the darkest of times, it is the flickering wings of a butterfly: strong and purposeful."

This is an exciting and adventurous book for teens with a whirlwind plot. Yet, as the above quote shows, it has some beautiful prose, and has heart as well as mystery. Fantastic first novel from Lorraine Goody. Looking forward to more stories!

Built to Last
Built to Last
by Ron Trudinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Built to Last (Paperback)
I completely love this book, which has taught me a number of key life lessons, as has the author. I am biased though, this was written my father!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2012 7:03 AM BST

Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo Saga)
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) (Silo Saga)

5.0 out of 5 stars Asmov..., 10 April 2012
Hopefully the author will see this as a strong complement: when I first started reading this series I felt like I was reading an Asimov book. In my mind, that's high praise. I read the first book because I thought I'd take a punt based on a link I saw in metafilter.com. I was compelled to get the next one and didn't stop reading until I ran out of books! Warm, human, funny and an interesting idea.

Dark Dark Day - Single
Dark Dark Day - Single

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but still hopeful. Beautiful melody., 5 Jun 2011
This is a wonderful song which has a moving story behind it. Rebecca wrote it after she heard how her friends had lost their new-born baby.

The first time I listened to 'Dark Dark Day', I could only really think how honest and sad it was. It reminded me of "held" by Natalie Grant "this is how it feels when the sacred is torn from your life and you survive". However, the more I listened to it, a message of hope came through - highlighted by the infectious melody.

Spend the 69p to own this song (and persevere through the hassle of Amazon's mp3 downloader) - it's beautiful.

Dark Dark Day

Crime and Punishment: With selected excerpts from the Notebooks for Crime and Punishment (Wordsworth Classics)
by Fyodor Dostoevsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, 1 Sep 2010
"The candle-end was flickering out in the battered candlestick, dimly lighting up in the poverty-stricken room the murderer and the harlot who had so strangely been reading together the eternal book."
Ultimately, it took me a fair way though the book before I realised that this was a a story about love. Not just a 'love story' but a story about tough decisions and the power of love.
Inexpressible and wonderful, so common and so rare, this book clearly describes love. Albeit one facet of love, this book describes beautifully. Unknown to the sensual or proud, love is the very home of the lonely and the persecuted.
I must admit, I only know Constance Garret's translation, so I can't compare with any others. I haven't enjoyed other translators, but that may be because I only know Garret's.
I first feverishly read this book on a sweat-soaked mattress, inches above the cockroaches in Darwin Australia. I was interested in the decision that the main character has to make: is the pain of punishment worth it, if the prize is redemption?

Unlocking the Bible
Unlocking the Bible
by David Pawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Opens up the bible, 9 Sep 2008
This review is from: Unlocking the Bible (Paperback)
For anyone who's ever scratched their heads trying to make sense of the bible, this is the book for you.

David Pawson's clear, easy to follow, erudite prose opens up the bible. He doesn't pretend the bible is a simple document, but does shine a light on the text to make it easier to get to grips with.

The book is filled with examples and stories, and it also tracks Pawson's own journey in trying to understand scripture.

There's a great explanation of "Song of Songs", which Pawson says he avoided for years because it just seemed to be too carnal: about the sexual relationship between a man and a woman. To find out his refreshing conclusion about the Song of Solomon, buy this book!

It's rare to find a commentary with so much humour in it. I haven't read it in order, but in random chapters as I've read the bible. This may not be the best way to read the book, but it's worked for me.

This is one of those books that has helped me understand God's word better, and also (by extension) His character. I can't offer a better accolade than that.

TIMOTHY TITUS 1 AND 2 VOL 13 PB (New International Biblical Commentary)
TIMOTHY TITUS 1 AND 2 VOL 13 PB (New International Biblical Commentary)
by FEE GORDON

5.0 out of 5 stars So THAT's what it means!, 28 Jun 2007
Gordon Fee opens up the scripture in a clear, balanced way. He clarifies the meaning of each passage, whilst showing the depth of scholarship on each issue. He examines the meaning of the original languages and the context of each passage, but keeps it clear and easy to understand.

True wisdom is being able to understand deep things, and explain them simply. Gordon opens up the scriptures and the truth behind them: God's love, His faithfulness and the infallibility of His word. A friend of my father who met Gordon Fee, said that in a morning prayer meetings he regularly wept before God. This is what understanding scripture is really all about.