Profile for Samedi > Reviews

Content by Samedi

Samedi "Ray Favourite" (Ayr, Ayrshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
La Coleccion Cubana
La Coleccion Cubana
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish he was my uncle., 24 Jun. 2006
This review is from: La Coleccion Cubana (Audio CD)
How come all the best rock stars are ancient? Keith Richards, Tom Waits, this guy... he's a total dude! You can hear his personality jumping about like a horny lemming. If I could describe this album in one word, I'd say JOY! C'mon guys, lets say enough to the supposedly dark'n'edgy nonsense from doomy bed-wetters and take a lesson in style from one of the true originals! The sun shines as you hears these songs, the girl across from you bats her eyelids, maybe you start clicking your fingers and shakin' your ass... this is passionate and positive music for people who are not afraid to smile and have fun! Join in!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2014 8:51 AM BST

Tekitoi
Tekitoi

5.0 out of 5 stars Legitimate alternative to boring UK boy-rock!, 24 May 2006
This review is from: Tekitoi (Audio CD)
I first heard about Rachid in Songlines magazine. I'd recently gotten into Tinariwen and Youssou N'Dour so I guess it was logical to continue this path through North African music. I'm so glad I picked this one up! Any one song on this album has more ideas and charisma than a whole album by so-called stars like The Killers, the Kooks, the Kaiser Chiefs (in other words the KKK of modern music!) are any of these supposedly vital 'new' british bands we get exposed to. For real invention, passion, exoticism (is that a word?) and sheer GROOVE, Rachid Taha delivered the goods to me. It has swagger, attitude, beauty, electronics, huge Morroccan-sounding strings...the checklist of ear candy just continues.

Check it out, it's more rewarding than pretending to like Pete Doherty just because you think it makes you look edgy. Heh heh. In the long run, you'll turn to this album more often than those other offenders I just mentioned!

Enjoy!

Fahrenheit (PS2)
Fahrenheit (PS2)
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of a Kind, 26 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Fahrenheit (PS2) (Video Game)
I agree with much of what previous readers have to say about this game. For my two pence worth, I would add that it begins briliantly but goes downhill. If only they kept the gritty, urban, shadowy NYC cop feel it would have been game of the year, no question. Instead, they divert into insubstantial metaphysics and misplaced Aztec folklore; it's just not an effective mix for me. Plus, is it just me of is is ridiculously easy? I finished the game in less than six hours and ask anyone who knows me, I am awful at videogames! I have never finished a Final Fantasy, I play Resi Evil on Easy mode and I had to cheat my way through all the Grand Theft Autos but I still found myself taking this great game back to the shop the mornng after I bought it to change it for something that would last a little longer. It is great though, for as long as it lasts.
Rent it, enjoy it, buy something else.

Alexander - Director's Cut [DVD] [2004]
Alexander - Director's Cut [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Anthony Hopkins
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Hear me out, people!, 3 Dec. 2005
I know, five stars seems preposterous for a film that was so universally lambasted. I know myself that it's far from perfect but I choose to meditate on what it DID accomplish and, much like Alexander himself, the movie's failings are still heroic and brave! A true one of a kind.

This director's cut is a little more pacey than the theatrical release (which in turn feels a little more fleshed out in terms of historical detail) and brings the action forward a good 20 minutes. True, there are only two battles in the movie (which is NOT three hours long as Amazon's review states) and some would argue that two battles is not enough to demonstrate the skills of a world renowned military genius. I agree to some extent but then one has to realise that Oliver Stone was concerned more about Alexander's motivations and inner drive than just giving us more spilled claret: he wanted to look into the soul of this great enigma and bring something of it back to share with us.

I believe in many ways he did just that. Forget the accents, the peroxided hair, the homophobic statements of the press: instead concentrate on the story, the spirit, the historical detail (although certain events are juxtaposed for drama rather than accuracy) and passion displayed on all fronts from Colin Farrell's emotional interpretation of Alexander, through Vangelis strident and spellbindingly beautiful score, to Stone's typical epic subtext and resonance in his directing. Yeah, some of the dialogue is just bad, clunky exposition but there are also moments of real poetic grandeur too. Add in some wonderfully over the top performances by Val Kilmer and Angelina Jolie as Alexander's fruitcake parents and you have an unforgettable couple of hours ahead of you.

Be brave! Fortune Favours the Bold! Ignore the cynics and naysayers and see this film for what it achieved rather than what it didn't. Then if you need more gore, go and watch 300! Just sit back and drink it all in!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Unpredictable- just like the movie!!, 6 Feb. 2002
This is one of those sublime soundtracks that doesn't mind if you haven't seen the film- it completely delivers as a snapshot of Cameron Crowes admittedly diverse and superlative record collection. I defy any other soundtrack to offer The Monkees, Sigur Ros and Cameron Diaz all on a single disc! The film found a very split audience (most intelligent people realising the near-ganius of it) but the soundtrack is something you can enjoy completely independently from the movie. Fans of Vanilla Sky will appreciate how often the sounds remind them of the vivid images of the brave movie. Unmissable, in the true sense of the word.

Tweekend (Clean)
Tweekend (Clean)

4.0 out of 5 stars Electro Future-shock Beats that RAWK!!!, 14 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Tweekend (Clean) (Audio CD)
This album is, on the surface, a more chilled out affair then '97s Vegas, but until the surface we have classic TCM. The 303s are present and abrasively correct, the drum patterns are looser and funkier, but more importantly- The Crystal Method still know how to GROOVE and excite you at the same time. Basically it's pre- going out music, headphone music, annoy your housemates/parents music. The sounds coming from your bedroom are LOUD and BAD but in an unspeakably COOL way! Enjoy folks!

Pure Phase
Pure Phase
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreamy, chilled out space-rock anthems for 21st century., 23 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Pure Phase (Audio CD)
Pure phase is,like the title suggests, a work of purety in emotion and expression. Songwriter/singer Jason Pierce wears his heart on his sleeve and this honest approach comes across in the hazy, elegiaclly beautiful music. It kinda reminds me of 2001: A Space Oddysey, but more in feel than any actual musical similarity. If you've ever fantasised about floating around in the limbo of Orion's Belt then you really owe it to yourself to check this one out.

A Nightmare On Elm Street [DVD]
A Nightmare On Elm Street [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Englund
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic pre- scream Craven : forget the sequels, this RAWKS!, 23 Dec. 2000
Nightmare on Elm Street deserves to be hailed as a classic of near Halloween proportions. This 1984 movie shows craven off at his pre- Scream best. It isn't too over the top, the visuals really are pretty mindblowing (Johnny Depp's famous death scene must be seen to be believed) and, for a change, this is one of the few horror movies that actually does it's job and manages to be quite frightning in places. The extras are proficient enough also but they really are just the icing on the cake of one kick ass rollercoaster of a scary movie. One, two, freddy's coming for you...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3