Profile for Samedi > Reviews

Content by Samedi

Samedi "Ray Favourite" (Ayr, Ayrshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Apocalypto [DVD] (2006)
Apocalypto [DVD] (2006)
Dvd ~ Rudy Youngblood
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Video Nasty? Not quite..., 22 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Apocalypto [DVD] (2006) (DVD)
...good film though! Seriously, I saw this at the cinema and really wondered where all the controversial violence was! The odd scene here and there is rather grim and the whole movie has a doomy vibe to it but I was never of the mind that the violence was over the top or exploitative.

For me, I particularly enjoyed the (too short) middle section in the Mayan city: I liked the representation of the Mayan class system and was intrigued by the similarities to ancient Rome in terms of folk getting carried around eating grapes and such. The sacrifice scene was great, it felt justifiably dangerous and horrifying (as well it should) and the overall cinematography is suitably lush and grimy at the same time. Full respect to old Mel for his vision and tenacity to persevere with what is, on the surface, quite an odd notion for a movie.

I'd also mention that the resulting chase thrugh the woods is only mildy exciting and forget the violence, what Mel is FAR too fond of showing us is stuff in SLOW MOTION! Our man Jaguar paw dodges a spear IN SLOW MOTION! Now he jumps off a tree IN SLOW MOTION! Watch him knack a bloke on the head with a stick IN SLOW RUDDY MOTION! Too much Mel! If anyone got annoyed at Jesus' fifty billion slow motion stumbles in The Passion then get ready to grumble. It doesn't ruin Apocalypto, there's too much to enjoy, but I'f rather Mel trimmed twenty minutes off this thing and gave it a real action movie kick up the bum.

Hellbilly Deluxe
Hellbilly Deluxe

4.0 out of 5 stars Yo Rockers! Shake Yo Asses!!!!!, 20 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Hellbilly Deluxe (Audio CD)
This disc was BUILT for the dancefloor! Woo! Now, White Zombie were a GREAT party metal kinda band and Rob follows a similar path on his own but it is by no means the same stuff regurgitated. Hellbilly deluxe sees the songs constructed more often with the synths (which were there in Astrocreep too but to a lesser degree) and with a slightly less hardcore attitude to the grooves. This is more easy to pick up and play and rob's vocals are less rap-style than before. On a cursory listen it is just the same idea as before though: you get your gigantic riffs (not QUITE as good as J's riffing on Astrocreep) and your Hammer horror samples but I feel this may be more accessible to music fans who are slightly less metal-inclined. Bottom line is- yep, get it, it's great! But it aint as good as Astrocreep 2000.

Torched
Torched
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty and Grace and Sunlit Beaches!, 24 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Torched (Audio CD)
This is the first record I've heard of Michael Hedges. I picked it up in a second hand store in Santa Cruz, California and to me the music on this disc whisks me back blissfully to those sunkissed shores! For me, music (and guitar playing in particular) shouldn't be about technique: Im interested in feeling, evocation, atmosphere, expression and beauty. This guy had all this without trying! I'd say I put this on a lot when I'm doing things like painting since it enhances one's imagination and stimulates the creative process. 'Dream Beach' for me is just pure bliss! Also, after about halfway through I find myself switching off the hi-fi: not because I'm tired od the music but because it makes me want to go and play geetar! To go retune it, thump it, slap it, pluck it, just make the damn thing sing!

If this sounds like something you could do with, I'd most certainly recommend 'Torched' without hesitation. Is it his best album? No idea. Who cares? It's great on its own.

The Fly
The Fly
Offered by sdiscs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Grail of Guitar Tone!, 3 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Fly (Audio CD)
I remember this song from being a kid (Im 24 now) and watching top of the Pops waiting for Turtle Power to come on! U2 had knocked them off the Number one spot and I was gutted! Who were these whispering fools with the shades?

I was a pretty dumb kid.

Like I say in the title of this, the guitar sound on this track is supernaturally good! When they play this live it sounds cool but there is a definite quality to the recording which seems elusive to recapture. Gorgeously expressive.

I would recommend this CD single since it also contains one of the pieces of music Bono and The Edge wrote for a stage production/reworking of A Clockwork Orange. Entitled 'Alex Descends into Hell for a bottle of Milk', it is an exciting tune with rather dramatic modern (for the early 90s) percussive stuff going on and a choirboy signing something about Dies Irae, the day of wrath or so I gather. I just like the sound of it and I think that was the main point really! Its only a fiver, ENJOY!

Cronos [DVD]
Cronos [DVD]
Dvd ~ Federico Luppi
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 28 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Cronos [DVD] (DVD)
I came to Cronos recently, having wanted to watch it for a good few years. It is fairly unlike Del Toro's other movies in it's relatively slow pacing and lack of true 'supernature'. However, it is a worthwhile and interesting addition to the Horror fan's collection. I am a fan of both Hellboy and The Devil's Backbone and to put Cronos in perspective it plays more like Devil's... but stars the legendary Ron Perlman, a.k.a. Hellboy, so there are avenues where the three meet. One can really see Del Toro's development from low budget, high class movies of a surreal nature to his forthcoming Pan's Labyrinth: Cronos deserves it's place within this nexus, although I wouldn't go as far as Mark Kermode in calling it a 'masterpiece'.

Whores: An Oral Biography of Perry Farrell and "Jane's Addiction"
Whores: An Oral Biography of Perry Farrell and "Jane's Addiction"
by Brendan Mullen

4.0 out of 5 stars The best account so far..., 28 Sept. 2006
I've been a fan of Perry Farrell for three or four years now and have always felt he was a somewhat underappreciated personality on the rock pantheon. Jane's Addiction also never really got the props they deserved from mainstream audiences, there's being more of a cult following. It's too bad, there is a lot to learn about dynamics, showmanship and simple mysticism from Perry and co. True, Navarro is at times an insufferable buffoon but his guitar is a good deal more eloquent than his mouth. Same to a degree for Perry, whose shamanistic shtick goes a long way to proving that charisma and invention will always be welcome in an industry that approves of the James Blunts of this world. Whores is a colourful and entertaining read, if one can get past the boorish LA scenesters and egos that fly around on clouds. What these guys did had real value. I recommend for fans of the alt rock genre in general. Pick up some tips!

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars QUIETLY STUNNING, 20 Aug. 2006
Yoshimi is a little more 'electro' than other Flaming Lips records, perhaps by design or perhaps in part down to the (at the time)drug problems of multi-instrumentalist Steven Drozd (who, nevertheless completely goes out on one for this record). Either way, Drozd's Bonham-style drums make way for 808 sounding drum machines in this quasi operatic concept album. The Flaming Lips are something of an anomaly for modern musicians: they wholeheartedly throw themselves at technology then attampt to make the records feel like old MGM Wizard of Oz types of adventures. They deal with dark and serious issues (family deaths, suicide, existensialism) yet marry these themes to winningly optimistic melodies and musical cues.

Yoshimi is a rather sci-fi inflected album with keyboards and robot voices etc but nevertheless won Album of the Year in mags like (alterna-country Ryan Adams loving) Uncut and many others. It seems to have had a huge crossover appeal and that is completely understandable for two simple reasons: the songs are beautiful and the record is thrilling to listen to!

You know what, I don't think I need to say any more. Job done.

The Soft Bulletin
The Soft Bulletin
Offered by Bridge Media UK

5.0 out of 5 stars COSMIC GENIUS!, 20 Aug. 2006
This review is from: The Soft Bulletin (Audio CD)
What a great Kaliedoscope of sound this is! We expect this from these guys anyway but for me, this record really goes above and beyond the call of duty. With the Flaming Lips, I actually begin by more or less disliking each record; they are not the most instant of bands (unless you happen to be seeing them live in which case you will already be converted!) but persistence really pays of and, much like their friends Mercury Rev, they make albums with great longevity. This is an album you can make friends with!

If you are interested in listening to something a little further out into space than traditional guitar/bass/drums then give these guys a go: the quality of ideas here is most impressive. However, it is the bravery of emotion that will zero in on your heart and take it over. What a great album, what a GREAT band.

Staring at Sound: The Story of Oklahoma's Fabulous Flaming Lips
Staring at Sound: The Story of Oklahoma's Fabulous Flaming Lips
by Jim DeRogatis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great source of inspiration!, 20 Aug. 2006
The Flaming Lips, to me, are one of the bravest and most interesting bands currently operating. Their self-applied term 'fearless freaks' really does suit them like one of Lips leader Wayne Coyne's bespoke Dolce and Gabbana suits; each record is a true sonic adventure and the songs are invested with maturity as well as wide-eyed optimism and idiotic glee.

Jim Derogatis' book finds itself very much on the same page as the lips themselves: it is by turns honest, frank, lively, funny and charismatic. In other words, a complete match to the band.

Interestingly, each era of the lips' career is given equal space to tell it's story, so we learn as much about Coyne's early days as a painter come fry cook at Long John Silver's as we do of his contemporary persona of cheerleading mad scientist. This may perplex fans won over since 1999's Soft Bulletin record but the farther back we delve into the history of these wackos, the more fun we get to have with them! I really enjoyed reading this and found it to be an insighful companion to the Lips' records.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the GAME?, 24 Jun. 2006
Yes, this game is like no other. Yes, this game has truly beautiful visuals. Yes, the music is inspired and uplifting. Yes, the sense of awe is palpable. I get all this okay, so don't crucify me. Let me tell you something though; this game is also as dull and boring as reading the Yellow pages. There is NO gameplay. The controls are GUFF and the camera is just having a LAUGH at our EXPENSE! I don't know why those words had to be in CAPITALS there, they just DID. Perhaps I feel I'm on the minority here by failing to find this game marvellous. It is unique and majestic but give me Prince of Persia any day; it's all of those things too but it's also a beauty in the gameplay and addictiveness stakes as well. But it's your money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3