Profile for Carol 'avid little bookworm' > Reviews

Content by Carol 'avid li...

Carol 'avid little bookworm' (LEEDS, Yorkshire, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan Series Book 1)
The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THE COVER, IT'S A REALLY GOOD LITERARY READ, 11 Aug. 2012
I've had this book since March, metaphorically gathering dust in my reading pile, I think subconsciously I was put off by the cover!

Well - don't make the same mistake as me - what a TREAT, I absolutely loved this novel, from the minute I started reading right through to the end. Although quite a lengthy book I'd finished it within a couple of days and now I'm left feeling completely bereft. I haven't been able to get into another book since finishing this almost a week ago (unheard of for me, normally I go from one book straight into the next)!!

The literary style was excellent as were a whole plethora of characters, who were cleverly crafted throughout this book, none were neglected I got to know them all and was completely transfixed with the storyline.

I loved Titania and Benedict, Titania employed as Governess by Benedict to his two boys, Justin and Robert. Titania - intelligent, practical and full of integrity and love; Benedict - deeply affected by the death of Francesca his wife, gorgeous, a massive bear of a man and intelligent too! They are drawn to each other right from the start. Jennifer St. Giles builds sensual, as well as sexual tension between them which eventually turns into real love, it made me feel all fuzzy inside.

Justin and Robert, traumatised following the loss of their mother and then feeling like they have lost the love of other family members too. Titania builds up their self-worth as well as their love as we see them blossom under her tutelage.

We get to know other characters, Dobbs the stuffy Butler who is constantly plagued by Titania in a game of one-up-man-ship and Justin and Robert who insist on playing their game of `making sunshine' with him, much to his chagrin. Benedict's brother Stephen, with his secrets; his mother who is opposed to Titania's presence in the house; his deaf sister Katherine trapped in her own world; his sister-in-Law Constance, dull as ditch water and twice as spoilt, interested only in spend, spend, spending on the latest fashions.

Titania keeps up her wonderful friendship with the elderly Mr. McGuire after entering the house of Trevelyan, proprietor of the local bookshop with his trusty parrot, Puck who constantly quotes Shakespeare - absolutely brilliant!

Running alongside the romance is the question of Francesca's death, reported as suicide but suspected as murder; a real who dunnit mystery, totally riveting.

I can honestly say this is the best book I've read in an age and definitely in my top ten favourite books, thus obviously highly, highly recommend!

Passionate Pretence - A romantic novel: A world of private jets, palatial villas, sun-drenched beaches and magnificent country houses.

3.0 out of 5 stars OLD FASHIONED ROMANCE, 7 Aug. 2012
I wasn't sure whether this novel was just set in 1988 or actually written then as it does have a slightly dated feel to it; Princess Diana gets more than one mention and some of the clothes, which were intended to be glamorous, made me smile.

There's such a good synopsis I don't think I could elaborate on it without giving anything away; but there is a feeling from quite early on that there is more to this story than first meets the eye, which kept me interested until the end.

The Headmaster's Confession (Regency Historical Couples' Fantasy Book 2)
The Headmaster's Confession (Regency Historical Couples' Fantasy Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars OOH LA LA!, 3 Aug. 2012
I downloaded this as I love historical regency romance. Now be warned - this is erotica rather than romance, very hot but very well written.

A really short story, which once I got over my initial surprise I really enjoyed; made especially so by the ending - I just didn't see that coming! So short could only recommend if it's free, but a really good introduction to this author.

Unlocked (A Turner Series)
Unlocked (A Turner Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars BELIEVABLE ROMANCE, 31 July 2012
I don't normally care for novellas, by the time you've started getting into the story it's finished, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

My favourite genres are historical and romance and this novella didn't disappoint. Courtney Milan's literary style was good and the story flowed and unfolded nicely. Not your typical romance; there's a good insight into bullying both from the victim and the perpetrator perspective. I liked the way the associated issues of bullying were subtlety addressed; the fear involved and how it can debilitate preventing the victim from moving on. The hurt and how it can cause the victim to retreat inside themselves. The self-hatred felt by the perpetrator and most importantly the ability to change ones behaviour and perspective, whether victim or perpetrator, and move forward in life rather than living in the past.

Although only short, I could feel Evan's love for Elaine it was so believable, thus the love scenes were moving and hot!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFUL, 31 July 2012
I bought this for my partner's daughter who we have just found out is expecting his first grandchild. Since finding out just a week ago I'd been trying to think of something nice to buy her to celebrate the baby.

I'd never even heard of a baby caller bell and couldn't believe when I quite literally stumbled across this whilst looking at jewellery, not even looking or thinking baby. Talk about the law of attraction!!

Anyway, onto to the chime - it's absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure she'll be thrilled with such a novel and enchanting little gift as this. It's completely silver, on the photo there are shadows that may suggest gold, and it's completely enclosed; doesn't open in the middle as the picture suggests it may. It's really dainty and appears to be really good quality.

As my birth stone is amethyst I'm so tempted to buy another for myself as a pendant around my neck or as a charm for a bracelet. Highly recommend.

Although, I know there is a separate area in which to leave supplier, package feedback I must just mention mine was supplied by Geoffrey Graham through Amazon. I ordered it yesterday morning and it arrived, well packed this morning, on Amazon's free delivery - excellent service as usual.

The Griffon Bruxellois (World of Dogs)
The Griffon Bruxellois (World of Dogs)
by Doone Raynham

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 30 July 2012
I've owned this book for years now, second edition, but it's still as relevant today as when it was written. The quality is absolutely first class and it's written by a griffon expert, so none of the generic rubbish that seems to have flooded the market on dog breeds.

It's filled full of wonderful photos and history of this enchanting little breed with a whole plethora of information from colours to breeding. I dip in and out of this book often, just dreaming of the day I'll own a griffon all of my own. Highly recommended.

Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks
Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks
by Dave Fishwick

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT ~ HIGHLY RECOMMEND, 26 July 2012
Dave Fishwick has to be the most down to earth man you'll ever encounter and he's on a real mission to revolutionize the banking industry.

I purchased this book after watching the series and was absolutely blown away by his straight talking style. The book elaborates quite a lot on the brief stories which were featured in the two part series and I highly recommend it.

As well as this there is good business advice, Dave's own story of how he succeeded in his own businesses and humorous stories galore - real laugh out loud moments!

A lot of the things he talks of are really simple - but how often do we ignore the simple things just because they are so?

One of the passages is this - 'It was a eureka moment. Life-changing. Forget the cars. Vans were where it was at.' It brought to mind someone I once knew who acknowledged this at the time, he talked often about 'getting into van sales' but never did. Which brings me swiftly onto another one of Dave's quotes - 'Just talking about doing something is no good. You've got to put your words into action. Plans and dreams are nothing more than that if you don't do anything about achieving them.'

However, the best quote in this book for me, and one I've quoted oh sooo many times myself personally - 'Turnover is for vanity; profit is for sanity.'

This is a really good read for anyone but if you run, or are thinking of setting up your own business, you've just got to purchase this book!

If you read this review by any chance Dave Fishwick, yours has to be one of the most admirable ventures so far in the twenty first century. Good luck to you and all your customers.

Vittorio's Virgin
Vittorio's Virgin

3.0 out of 5 stars JUST AN OK READ FOR ME, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Vittorio's Virgin (Kindle Edition)
This was a bit of a mixed bag for me really. Before commencing this review I noticed the publishers details state this book is just 125 pages long. I had to check as it took me a couple of weeks to finish this, yes, admittedly I broke off and read another book in between but I would normally finish a novel of this length within a day or so.

I love romance, so why didn't this do it for me? Vittorio seemed to have a fixation on 'bad women' (sexually active in this instance) - at first amusing then just plain boring.

No real plot, I found myself wondering at the point of the story.

I found the writing style immature at times and at other times words used which were just not to my personal taste:

slapper
shagged
`He could not take her virginity and spoil her intact body....'
`... how will you explain away that massive hickie on your neck?'
`... slurped the last of her Pimms through a straw.'

Towards the end minor typos and grammatical errors as well as some rambling as though rushing to finish.

So why ok and not I didn't like; well the sex/love scenes were exceptionally good. So if that's what you're looking for you'll really enjoy this novel but if you want a really good storyline, I wouldn't recommend.

Luckily my copy was a free download for my Kindle at the time; I would have been really disappointed if I'd paid for it.

The Shaft of the Ruffian (A Laugh-Out-Loud 50 Shades Parody)
The Shaft of the Ruffian (A Laugh-Out-Loud 50 Shades Parody)

3.0 out of 5 stars PROBABLY MORE THAN OK BUT JUST NOT FOR ME, 26 July 2012
I have to admit that although I have quite an eclectic taste in books, this isn't one of my favourite genres. Add to this, I haven't actually read any of the Fifty Shade series, so probably a lot of this novel was lost on me.

However, I did find it well written and the comedy aspect was amusing. As mentioned in other reviews and the blurb it is sexually explicit - so be warned!!

My Fire's Gone Out! - How to Cope With Change in Your Work and Life
My Fire's Gone Out! - How to Cope With Change in Your Work and Life

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S HOW YOU FEEL WHEN YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, 18 July 2012
I really enjoyed this short read, finished easily within the hour.

As an older lady, who's lived a lot of life, been working for many years, as well as being involved in my own business I've come across a lot of the content before, but I still found this worthwhile: it helped me focus on the changes that need to be made in my own life.

Told in story format there were many snippets I enjoyed and feel are extremely relevant to change:

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got". - so true but how many of us still continue along the same path??

we often don't take time out to think about the really important things

Understand that change is constant, change happens!

Take positive action and change things for the better.

Never, ever give up...

and of course IT'S HOW YOU FEEL WHEN YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING

I also liked the three questions - simple but effective:

What was important to him in life?
What made him happy?
What was he passionate about?

And to finish with, the world would be a lot happier and better place if we all acknowledged - Everybody is different. Learn to recognise, respect and appreciate the people around you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16