Profile for Carol 'avid little bookworm' > Reviews

Content by Carol 'avid li...

Carol 'avid little bookworm' (LEEDS, Yorkshire, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters Book 1)
Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better??, 25 May 2012
I downloaded this at the beginning of April when there were only two other reviews, both positive and a synopsis which suggested this would be a good read for me, historical romance being a genre I love.

It just didn't work for me. On a positive, I really liked the plot so have to admit to plodding on far longer than I would normally do because of this. However, I found the writing repetitive, there were many times when the same two words were repeated in a sentence and trivial things could take up several pages. Thus, I only managed nine or ten chapters and then skimmed through from there to the final couple. The reason for this was there was a fundamental part to the plot I wanted to discover the outcome of. Much to my disappointment it wasn't revealed, leaving me to wonder whether this is covered in one of the following books in this series?

It won't however, tempt me into reading anything further by this particular author - but there are some good reviews so I'd suggest a sample first to see whether it's to your taste.

London in 2012: Frommer's Express Kindle Exclusive (Frommer's Eonly)
London in 2012: Frommer's Express Kindle Exclusive (Frommer's Eonly)

4.0 out of 5 stars APPEARS TO BE A VERY GOOD GUIDE, 23 May 2012
This is a great little guide. I was lucky to download whilst it was on offer. I'm interested purely as a guide to London with no connection to the Olympic Games or the Jubilee and this satisfy's this purpose well.

It's very good, although I would have preferred it in book format rather than on my Kindle, although it navigates reasonably well on the Kindle and I'd presume even better on an iPad or the like.

Just to gain a little clarity for myself I typed out the following information which may be of interest to anyone looking to purchase this guide.

15 Best London Moments

1. The View Tube; 2. Tate-to-Tate Cruise; 3. London Eye; 4a The Engineer; 4b The Pig's Ear; 5. The Serpentine; 6. Shakespeare's Globe; 7. Ritz Palm Court; 8. Hampton Court; 9. The "New East End"; 10. West End Theatres; 11. St. John; 12. Thames Clipper Cruise; 13. Royal Botanic Gardens Kew; 14. Sir John Sloane's Museum; 15. Borough Market

London's Top 30 Sights & Attractions

1. Warner Bros. Studio Tour; 2. Hampstead Heath; 3. London Zoo; 4. Hyde Park; 5. Kensington Gardens; 6. Kensington Palace; 7. Science Museum; 8. Natural History Museum; 9. Victoria & Albert Museum; 10. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew; 10. Hampton Court Palace; 11. Westminster Abbey; 12. National Gallery; 13. British Museum; 14. Sir John Sloane's Museum; 15. Covent Garden; 16. Somerset House; 17. Houses of Parliament and Big Ben; 18. London Eye; 19. Imperial War Museum; 20. Dulwich Picture Gallery; 20. Horniman Museum; 21. Tate Modern;
22. Shakespeare Globe; 23. St Paul's Cathedral; 24. Museum of London; 25. Tower of London;
26. National Maritime Museum; 26. Royal Observatory; 26. Thames Barrier Visitor Centre -
numbered thus in the book for map purposes.

London Itineraries and Neighbourhood Walks
Greenwich

1. Greenwich Indoor Market; 2. Cutty Sark; 3. Old Royal Naval College; 4. The Old Brewery;
5. National Maritime Museum; 6. Queen's House; 7. Greenwich Park; 8. Royal Observatory

Top Ten Expensive Restaurants - and Hotels
Top Ten Moderate Restaurants - and Hotels
Top Ten Inexpensive Restaurants - and Hotels
Coffee and Cake
Teatime
Pie & Mash

Getting There - gives details by bus, by car, by train, by plane and gives details of relevant phone numbers etc. Also getting around - by Tube, the Bus Network, Oyster Card, by Car, by Taxi, by Boat, by Bicycle

London's Main Shopping Areas
Theatres & Theatreland

As well as references, as mentioned above, for email addresses etc., there is also good map references as well. Being from Yorkshire I've not tested it out yet, but it appears to be very good and I'm sure I'll keep dipping into it for ideas for our next trip to London.

Better Off Without Him (Romantic Comedy)
Better Off Without Him (Romantic Comedy)

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL FEEL GOOD READ, 23 May 2012
Well what can I say? A storyline which would be devastating for any main character is turned into a real feel good read, which had wit screaming out from almost every page. I absolutely loved it from the minute I started this novel until I finished it only a couple of days later and I'm now going through the phase of missing these wonderful characters.

Dee Ernst played to my own sense of humour throughout this book - just a small sample of examples which kept me hooked and chucking:

Of Brian, Mona's dead loss of a (deserting) husband who is an accountant - `he doesn't do much debiting and crediting himself'

Of Lana, Mona's diva cat - `she makes a point to rumba her way from the sink to the fridge'

Mona's brilliant Aunt Lily says of Brian, who has contributed nothing other than money to their marriage - `I mean, the man couldn't arrange for a tube going up his own ass'!

Of Fred, Mona's dog who is at last allowed to sleep on the bed after Brian packs his bags and leaves - `As a sleeping companion, Fred was commendable. He didn't snore. His legs didn't twitch. When I snored, he didn't shake me on the shoulder and insist I turn over on my side. He didn't steal the covers or get up three or four times to pee. He didn't fart and stayed on his side of the bed.' Just brilliant, this woman has the gift of seeing the optimistic side of any eventuality!!

This book is written as told by Mona, but there are also a whole raft of other superb characters that are weaved throughout this novel with great ease, which to my mind can only be achieved by a good writer.

There's a good synopsis and other good reviews so the only other thing I'll say is buy it, I loved the ending - highly recommended if you want a witty romantic comedy.

Seduced by the Boss
Seduced by the Boss

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 23 May 2012
My only excuse for downloading this is that it was free at the time and I downloaded it with a number of other free books, some of which have been excellent, and I must have just got carried away!! Lame I know, but the only explanation I can come up with for a bad decision.

Since then, there is another review by Roroblu's mum, and I have to agree with her sentiments, it's poor. Even if I do have to admit that I didn't waste any more than 5 minutes before I deleted this book off my Kindle. There is no literary content whatsoever. So buyer beware, as this is now being offered at £1.94 and there are too many good books out there on Kindle for this price.

Lady Sophia's Rescue (Historical Regency Romance)
Lady Sophia's Rescue (Historical Regency Romance)

3.0 out of 5 stars Just an ok short read for me I'm afraid, 21 May 2012
As this was a free download it would be ungracious of me to be too critical so where do I start?

Well, I've not read anything by Cheryl Bolen before so didn't know her work, but what I would say is that she seems to be a well respected author, with numerous other books and some very good reviews. So maybe she's just not to my taste and I'd therefore suggest downloading a sample or read the 'look inside' options before making a purchase.

This was just an ok short novella, which didn't cost me anything other than an hour or so of my time. I have to admit, had it been longer there is a good chance I would have given up on it (there's just too many good books out there to waste time on ones that don't particularly appeal) and I wouldn't have wanted to pay for it.

To my mind this isn't to the standard of Georgette Heyer, Melanie Clegg, Anne Brear or Lucinda Brant to name just a few, whose literary content is a pleasure and joy to read. There was dialogue that didn't fit the period for me as well as some that actually made me cringe - Wealthy bloke (?? I just can't image anyone saying bloke in those days) Uh oh. She could not allow......, before Mr. Perfect came to her. "Give us a minute"..... "Mr. Thompson can leave his shoes under my bed any night"

On a positive note I loved the alliteration about the christian and surnames - Isadore Door, Dorothea Door and Dorian Door. And although there was a huge attraction between Sophia and William it never developed into even one love scene!! Had it done so, I think I'd have been inclined to give this 4* as I feel Cheryl Bolen could have made a good job of it.

I've had so many excellent free downloads lately but maybe need to be a bit more selective in future.

The Fall of Anne Boleyn: A Countdown
The Fall of Anne Boleyn: A Countdown

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 20 May 2012
This is an excellent book by Claire Ridgway and has not only helped recap my memory on various events surrounding the history of Anne Boleyn but also dates, which have always been a challenge for me.

As mentioned in the synopsis and other reviews the book is set out in diary format, which as a journal keeper myself, particularly appealed to me. It also made it difficult for me to put this book down so I'd read straight through in just a couple of days.

A lot of work and research has gone into this book. Claire Ridgway gives her point of view; she doesn't force it on you. It's just well-presented and you're allowed to come to your own conclusions. A passage from the Introduction sums this up for me - 'In this guide to the fall of Anne Boleyn, I let the primary sources tell the story of spring 1536 because I believe that there is no better way to examine those events than through the eyes of people who were actually there'. I whole-heartedly agree, It certainly worked for me.

After finishing this excellent book, I know I'll keep dipping back into it and its set up well in Kindle format to enable this with ease. Highly, highly recommend this book.

Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance (Salt Hendon Book 1)
Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance (Salt Hendon Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY, 19 May 2012
I absolutely loved this novel, my first by Lucinda Brant, but definitely not my last.

The period was well researched, but more importantly, the plot was good and didn't have the predictably of a lot of romance novels. The storyline just drew me in and kept me captivated from the start to when I finished in just a few days.

The wealth of characters, and there are many weaved into this novel, could only be achieved by a talented author, and was a challenge just remembering who was who I truly enjoyed. Oh I loved Squires daughter Jane Despard, the heroine who was beautiful both inside and out, but more importantly for me was, she was straight talking with no malice or cynicism.

The sexy Earl of Salt Hendon, Lord Magna Salt, described as a bear sized Earl, such a refreshing change from the slim hipped hero of most romance novels just increased his desirability. I started off hating him but soon grew to love him.

But Lucinda Brant doesn't stop there, all the characters are well crafted and believable from Diana St. John like a pantomime baddie. Her wonderful children Ron and Merry St. John to Jane's kitten Viscount Fourpaws - his fluffy lordship! Just brilliant.

There are so many aspects of the storyline which I absolutely loved but I don't want to give any spoilers. So, what I will say is this is the best and most enjoyable novel I've read in a while, (I read many) and I highly recommend this book and author.

Chasing Rainbows: Western Romance
Chasing Rainbows: Western Romance

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVED ANNIE AND JAKE, 15 May 2012
After reading With This Kiss, another novel by this author, easily a 5* read, I had no hesitation in downloading this book, even though it's a cowboy romance, not a genre I've ever fancied reading.

I love her writing style in both novels, the characters are well crafted and believable and the romances grow and play out beautifully. So why only 4*s for this particular book? The writing was good, but the plot played out a little too long for me and I found myself at times not bored, but lets say slightly distracted, but I did grow to care about the characters.

Beautiful, vulnerable, three dimensional Annabel Lee Foster, aka Outlaw Annie, named after the poem by Edgar Allan Poe. She has 'Pluck', she swears and blasphemes. After running with the Mundy Gang and paying dearly for doing so, she has the desire to change her life and become respectable. To this purpose she consults with one of her very few possessions, Winston's Guide to Proper Etiquette and Deportment for Refined Young Ladies of All Ages. One of his recommendations is - a proper lady never, ever mentions her unmentionables! Annie's an absolute Gem, she had me chuckling throughout the book. And Cat, Annie's pet - just brilliant.

Jake Moran, extremely handsome, charismatic and all man is soon drawn to Annie and she him. However, they don't trust each other and the love scenes are a long time coming worth waiting for, hot but extremely tasteful.

A good read, I'll definitely be checking out more by this talented author.

Wedding at King's Convenience (Mills & Boon)
Wedding at King's Convenience (Mills & Boon)

4.0 out of 5 stars SHORT LIGHT HEARTED ROMANCE, 15 May 2012
I have to admit to downloading this book as it was free and I love Mills & Boon for some good light hearted reading, and that's exactly what this is.

Apparently it's the third book in a series of three, the other two I haven't read, and this was easily read as a stand alone novel.

Although I've read many, many Mills & Boon books, I've not read any by this author before. Her writing style was good, although very predictable, not as enjoyable as Miranda Lee and Abby Green for me, whose storylines are often more original. However, she did an excellent job of depicting the beauty of Ireland and the people where the majority of the novel is set.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book which I finished in no time at all.

Unlikely Killer
Unlikely Killer

4.0 out of 5 stars MIXED EMOTIONS, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Unlikely Killer (Kindle Edition)
I read my first book by Ricki Thomas, Hope's Vengeance, a month ago. It was absolutely a 5* read and I therefore couldn't wait to read this novel.

Well, Unlikely Killer, just like Hope's vengeance, had me hooked from the minute I picked it up. I quite literally couldn't put it down reading late into the night - telling myself 'just one more chapter'!

There are so many characters you can't let your concentration lapse for even a second, a challenge I like. Just as with Hope's Vengeance the plot has many facets, which I feel only a talented writer could pull together.

So why only 4*s? Well I really thought I'd be giving 5*, as all the way through, right up to the finish, I couldn't put this book down, it was thrilling. But, coming to the end the coincidences just began stacking up too much to be feasible to my mind and I had a pretty good idea what the ending would hold (although this could have been from remarks I'd read in other reviews).

However, this would not put me off reading other Ricki Thomas novels as she is an extremely talented writer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17