Profile for Talie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Converse All Star Dainty Ballerina - 7 Uk - Black & White - Fabric
Converse All Star Dainty Ballerina - 7 Uk - Black & White - Fabric

1.0 out of 5 stars Come up way too small!, 9 Jun 2014
I have to agree with the other review. I'm a size 7 in Converse. I am a big fan of the brand and have loads of different styles, always a 7. However, as pretty as these are, I cannot get my feet into them. If you are ordering, go a size up.

Dermalex Repair Psoriasis - 60 g
Dermalex Repair Psoriasis - 60 g
Offered by olympiabeautystore
Price: 14.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising, 22 Feb 2014
I've had psoriasis since I was 11. I'm now 34, and under the regular care of a hospital dermatology consultant. I've tried every treatment going, with the exception of biologics, which terrify me. I'm a UVB veteran, and a devotee of Dovobet and all the other ointments.

I did write to Dermalex and ask them to let me trial it when it first came out, but they declined, so I had to pay out rather a lot of money for it. I do object to the price for this, but as anyone with long term psoriasis will tell you, sometimes you'll pay anything for a bit of relief. I intend to ask my consultant if it can be given as a prescription when I see him. It seems to me that the price of this would prevent a lot of people from trying it.

Did it work? Well, I suppose so, to an extent. It didn't clear my psoriasis, but it seemed to reduce it and keep it at that level. My trigger is stress, and it did really well when I wasn't too stressed. For massive flare ups, I had to go back to my Dovobet, but the Dermalex did well at maintenance when Dovobet had it under control.

A lot of people have said it stings. I haven't really found that, apart from in areas where there's a lot of hair follicles. Maybe that's why? Or maybe I'm just lucky.

Worth a go, if you have the money.

G-Paws GPS Data Recorder
G-Paws GPS Data Recorder
Offered by iZilla
Price: 23.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good when it works!, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: G-Paws GPS Data Recorder (Misc.)
First of all, a big thank you to Malcolm Boyack for posting the instructions that should have been included with this device. Are you listening, manufacturers? I consider myself a reasonably well educated person, but I was very reliant on reading other people's reviews to work out how to get the best out of this.

First of all, make yourself an account on the G-Paws website. It's a really simple process. You can upload a profile picture for your pet too.

Once you've got the unit out of the box and charged, you attach it to your cat (Or dog in my instance) using either the orange coloured holder (With a thin gap to fit around a cat collar) or the blue coloured holder, which has a wider gap to allow it to be slid onto a dog's collar. It comes with Velcro, so you simple wrap the Velcro around the animal's collar and off you go. It's really lightweight, so don't worry about it weighing your pet down.

We found that the blue holder's Velcro didn't allow for thicker leather dog collars, like we have on our beagle, so we used a pouch which came with our old Nike+ running sensor (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marware-Sportsuit-Sensor-Case-Sport/dp/B000ID6DTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393094893) which is a tight fit, but allows the sensor to be securely enclosed inside a pouch which then fits around our dog's collar much more confidently. It also provides it with a bit of protection, which the provided blue coloured holder does not. We had a couple of close calls where the unit came out of the holder mid-walk, and we spent half an hour scouring a field with our friends looking for the wretched thing!

If you're in a strong signal area, turn it on and the blue light will start flashing straight away to indicate that the unit has found a GPS signal and locked on. We evidently do not live in a strong signal area, and have to walk half way up our street to get a signal. Quite irritating.

When you're done with your travels, turn the unit off, and plug it into your USB port. This doubles as a charger, so leave it plugged in for a few hours to top up your battery. I tried plugging it into a USB wall charger, but it didn't do anything.

Your computer will recognise the unit as a memory stick type device. On it, there will be some basic setup files, and hopefully, your route for the day. File names are a string of numbers which correspond to the date and hour of your walk, so you should be able to tell them apart, and delete old ones. Choose your walk, upload it, and the website does its magic. You'll see where your pet has been, how fast they've travelled, and how far they went.

If you're confident with HTML code, you can edit the GPS files it uploads to the website to make corrections. It simply records a grid reference co-odinate and a time. For example, we drove to the beach (50 miles away), and forgot to turn the tracker off when we drove away. If you load up the GPS file in a text editor like Notepad, you'll hopefully be able to recognise the point where you started travelling at 50mph, and erase those lines of co-ordinates, re-saving the file with only the walk data on it. No longer was my dog breaking any world records for speed!

We've had ours since before xmas 2013, and it's been really interesting to see how fast our dog runs, and where she goes when she merrily runs off to play with other dogs, before we can catch up with her. It's not a live tracker, which would require a monthly subscription - that will probably be our next stop, but it's certainly fascinating to see what she gets up to after the event.

Safe Baby Handling Tips
Safe Baby Handling Tips
by David Sopp
Edition: Board book
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious parody book, 22 Feb 2014
I've bought this for two couples expecting their first baby now - it is simply hilarious, if you aren't the sort to be easily offended. It's gone down a storm every time, and a brilliant little gift if you want to give a slightly worried parent-to-be a good giggle. Obviously you're not going to attempt to wake your baby with an air horn, or put your baby in a cage, but the silliness of the deadly serious "Warning!" images makes this a super parody of all the deadly serious books that parents-to-be are probably combing through in readiness for their new arrival.

Tala Animal Cutters
Tala Animal Cutters
Offered by Cake and Cookie Central
Price: 3.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough - not brilliant quality, 22 Feb 2014
If you want a quick, cheap set of cookie cutters, these are perfect. When I ordered them, they were 50p, and topped up an order to get free delivery.

The metal is quite thin in comparison to some of the other cookie cutters I have. They "give" quite easily, with very little pressure. They are sharp enough to slice through dough, so do the job there. In the couple of batches of biscuits I've done, the animal shapes don't always come out of the cutters especially well - the elephant trunk in particular rarely comes out intact, leading to some amusing mutant animals.

For 50p, I'm not complaining. Amazon's rating of "It's okay", is appropriate wording. They're fine, and do what they're supposed to. For an amateur baker, they'll be fine.

Belkin MixIt Colour Range 1.2 m Lightning to USB Charge and Sync Cable for Apple iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, iPad Air, 4th Generation and iPad Mini - Blue (MFI Approved)
Offered by BESTBUYIT
Price: 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous - what a let down!, 22 Feb 2014
Don't get me wrong, I am a Belkin fan. If I'm not buying Apple certified, I'm buying Belkin or Griffin products. I've been caught out by cheap knock offs which last two days for so long that I learned the hard way to stick to what works. When my husband needed a cable for his iPad, this cable fit the bill nicely.

It came direct from Amazon, in the usual quick time and unnecessarily large packaging, and for the first couple of uses it was fine. My husband then started complaining that the connectors were getting hot, and upon checking it out for myself, he wasn't kidding. We tried the cable on a couple of other Apple devices (All using the official Apple chargers, bought from the Apple Store in Covent Garden), and the same thing happened. It was the uncomfortable side of "warm", and the temperature was increasing. This confirmed to me that this cable was defective, and not staying in my house.

Amazon were excellent as always at arranging returns. A nice man from DPD came 12 hours later and collected the cable, and I'm expecting my refund soon. I'm disappointed in Belkin - their products have always been so good. Maybe this was just a dud batch, maybe I was just unlucky on this occasion, but we bought a replacement Apple cable from our Apple Store, and it definitely doesn't behave the same way as the Belkin cable with my husband's iPad. Sorry Belkin!

Tutor Master Helps You Write Stories
Tutor Master Helps You Write Stories
by David Malindine
Price: 3.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Stories By Rote, 2 Feb 2014
Remember the old days of school, when you memorised your times tables off by heart? That's what this book is a bit like. It has about a dozen chapters, which are predominantly ideas for stories you could write - "My First Day At School", "The Magic Treasure", that sort of thing - and then goes into detail on what you could write and what you might include, such as speech, adjectives, and character description. It's a bit like a plan for each of the different stories, written for you, so that you can go straight on to the story writing.

I'm a primary school teacher, and I've bounced all over the age groups within primary school, from year 1 to year 6. The reviewer who said this would be okay for years 3 and 5 (Ages 7 - 10) is probably about right. Its language is simplistic enough to explain some ideas, but might be a bit patronising for year 6 and above.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great ideas in this book, but only if you're planning on writing one of the author's suggested stories. It's not a generic guide to improving your writing ability, but the extra practise might just get a child using some of the suggested skills in their every day writing, and that can't be a bad thing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 9:09 AM BST

K9 Highland Dog Chew (Standard)
K9 Highland Dog Chew (Standard)

3.0 out of 5 stars Five minute wonder, 11 Jan 2014
The only evidence of this every having been in my house is the packaging, which is currently in my recycling bin.

My beagle is a power chewer who has as natural a diet as I can provide. She likes hooves, bones, cow ears and Ugg boots. Having seen these recommended by other beagle owners, I was trying to decide whether to go for this product, or the genuine Himalayan Cheese Chew (Amazon sell these, but they're out of stock). I went with these simply because they were in stock.

Evidently, it was tasty. My dog couldn't get this out of the packet fast enough. She chewed it with serious dedication. It lasted about five minutes. Within one minute, she'd chewed one end off, and then the rest was almost a case of "Gone in 60 seconds".

As a proud Scot, I was excited at the idea of something new and unusual - and Scottish! Alas, "dog chew" is probably not an appropriate name for it if your dog likes to chew. "Dog snack" might be better.

Kyjen Puzzle Plush Hide-A-Squirrel Dog Toy
Kyjen Puzzle Plush Hide-A-Squirrel Dog Toy
Price: 12.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, not very strong for power chewers, 4 Dec 2013
Length:: 0:24 Mins

Lots of fun for my beagle, who is a power chewer, but I can't see it lasting very long. Supervised play for her only. If your dog is not a chewer, this is a winner. Maybe better for seeking breeds like Labradors or retrievers? Well constructed, and good quality, as long as your dog isn't a "fight the toy to the death" type like mine!

West Paw Design Zogoflex Zisc, Large, Cherry Blossom Pink
West Paw Design Zogoflex Zisc, Large, Cherry Blossom Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't lose this in the park!, 16 Nov 2013
Wow, it was a zingy pink when it arrived, and not at all "cherry". More high viz! Like all Zogoflex, this rubbery product looks like it will last two minutes, but instead have lasted my dog for years. She chews and chews, but cannot destroy them.

It flies really well. My husband can fling it so far that the dog has to run full-pelt to catch up with it. She carries it around in her mouth, folded in half, and after a quick rinse it looks as good as new. We love it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6