Profile for Stephen Sackleigh > Reviews

Content by Stephen Sackleigh

Stephen Sackleigh "Author of 'Killer Minds' Kindle novel" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

5.0 out of 5 stars Great software, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (App)
It does exactly what it says and it seeks out those downloads that you didn't know that you had made!

Medieval Underpants and Other Blunders: A Writer's (& Editor's) Guide to Keeping Historical Fiction Free of Common Anachronisms, Errors, & Myths [Second Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you expect, 6 Feb 2014
Thoroughly well-written guide warning of the pitfalls to be avoided when writing an historical novel. Like medieval underpants! Some things to beware of that are fairly obvious, and others, like which vegetables would be in your diet way back then, are much less so. I found the whole thing fascinating and read it in one session.

A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of action but miles from reality, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD] (DVD)
I am more than ready to suspend my disbelief when watching films like the 'Die Hard' series but this one just goes too far for me. As other reviewers have commented, John McClane would have injured or killed hundreds of innocent drivers going about their everyday business during the car chase. Likewise, the virtually unstoppable personnel carrier driven by the villains. He and his son enter the Chernobyl power plant with scant regard for the dangerous levels of radiation although there is something in the plot about neutralising it somehow or other. Action thrillers can only work if we can believe that the operate in something like the real world otherwise it all becomes a waste of time. This movie is not a disaster but it I would never watch it again.

Rendezvous With Rama (S.F. Masterworks S.)
Rendezvous With Rama (S.F. Masterworks S.)
by Arthur C. Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Arhur C Clarke's awesome stories, 18 July 2013
Arthur C Clarke describes our encounter with a huge cylinder built by alien hands that enters our solar system. It's our first encounter with aliens although we have populated the other planets and moons (except Venus?). A crew of astronauts board the craft and explore the interior but have great difficulty discerning the function of what they find. There doesn't seem to be life aboard, or is there? Clarke's great skill is in imagining a truly alien vista and doing it so credibly. I read the book in a couple of days such is the compelling nature of the saga as each revelation occurs. I heartily recommend this book to anyone who has the slightest interest in science fiction.

The Atlantis Gene: A Thriller (The Origin Mystery, Book 1)
The Atlantis Gene: A Thriller (The Origin Mystery, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut book!, 17 July 2013
This is an action thriller with huge scope. It mixes ancient history with equal amounts of fiction to put together a very interesting premise. There's lots of action and a little romance as well. It weaves in the legend of the lost city of Atlantis, dastardly Nazis and some very strange technology - the mysterious and very deadly bell!

Crisis Four: (Nick Stone Book 2)
Crisis Four: (Nick Stone Book 2)
by Andy McNab

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking adventure story, 10 July 2013
'Crisis Four' is the second Nick Stone adventure and I loved it. The action is described in great deal and Andy McNabb really knows his stuff. After all he was an SAS officer and has real experience of the sorts of situations that he describes in his books. We get all the dirty details as he goes on an undercover mission in the American backwoods to extract someone using some very limited resources. But that is really only the beginning of the story.

His descriptions of things like bullet wounds to the chest are not for the faint hearted but this is definitely a big boys story.

The Haunting of Toby Jugg (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural)
The Haunting of Toby Jugg (Wordsworth Mystery & Supernatural)
by Dennis Wheatley

4.0 out of 5 stars Spooky story from a master horror author, 3 July 2013
This book takes quite a while to get going but it builds slowly to a great conclusion. You start the book wondering about Toby's sanity and the twists and turns in the narrative keep you guessing. The poor man suffers throughout and just when you think he may be achieving something, it all goes wrong. He just doesn't know who he can trust. Wheatley probably gives a little too much background; perhaps a little more than we need.

Atlantis Found: Dirk Pitt #15 (Dirk Pitt series)
Atlantis Found: Dirk Pitt #15 (Dirk Pitt series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous fun!, 3 July 2013
A great adventure story. This is the first Dirk Pitt story that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Full of life-threatening situations and continuous action. A mixture of dastardly nazis, secret bases, the Atlantis myth and the threat of the total extinction of life on our planet. I found it to be a real page-turner as I followed the exploits of the near-superman! I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for an entertaining read.

The Disestablishment of Paradise
The Disestablishment of Paradise
by Phillip Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous novel about our relationship with the world around us, 14 May 2013
The story details what happens to Dr Hera Melhuish, a research scientist, when she remains behind alone on a lush alien planet - Paradise - for a short period to complete her work. The Space Council has decided to abandon their attempts to colonise the planet after crop failures and other setbacks. Hera soon becomes aware that the flora is fighting back against the intruders. She and Mack, who comes to her rescue, are nicely developed characters and the imaginative descriptions of the plant and tree life are carefully articulated. It is a book about our relationship with the world we live in but it is also about human relationships. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and my only slight criticism is that it is a little over long but I don't hesitate to give it five stars.

Dune [DVD]
Dune [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kyle MacLachlan

4.0 out of 5 stars A Monster of a Movie, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Dune [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very ambitious movie directed by David Lynch. It's a tough one to follow with many subplots. I enjoy it although I know others hate it. It's an epic rampage through Frank Herbert's novel and it helps to have read the book because there is a heck of a lot going on. It has a starry cast that includes Dean Stockwell, Sting, Patrick Stewart and many many others. I love science fiction so I recommend it to other enthusiasts but the majority of other viewers will probably be saying afterwards: "What was that all about?" Great special effects and an expensive production so it's a shame that it's not a bit more coherent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4