Profile for Lesley > Reviews

Lesley

Sewing the Shadows Together
Sewing the Shadows Together

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 6 Mar. 2016
I was disappointed with this book, after reading all the rave reviews. I felt that the characterisation was poor, caricatures of the snobbish mother, the philandering husband etc, and I guessed "whodunnit" very quickly, after reading only a quarter of the book. Nothing really rang true.

Sidney Chambers and The Shadow of Death (The Grantchester Mysteries)
Sidney Chambers and The Shadow of Death (The Grantchester Mysteries)
by James Runcie

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 30 May 2012
As a big fan of crime fiction, and also of the 1950s, I looked forward to reading this book. How disappointed I was! The characterisation was very poor, the dialogue was dire, the plots ridiculous. It felt like a children's book, though most children's authors have more literary talent than Mr Runcie. A waste of money!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2014 4:32 PM GMT

Winning Declarer Play
Winning Declarer Play
by Dorothy Hayden Truscott

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Winning Declarer Play (Paperback)
This book is a must for aspiring players - it is the most accessible bridge book I have read, and believe me, I have read loads. My declarer play has certainly improved since I bought it.

The Gluten-free Baker
The Gluten-free Baker
by Hannah Miles

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Gluten-free Baker (Hardcover)
At last - a recipe book for GF cakes and scones that are not dry and tasteless. The secret seems to be in the use of ground almonds in everything, giving texture, moistness and flavour. I can now bake GF cakes that my husband will happily eat. I have still to try the scones, but am confident that they will taste wonderful - a good scone is the thing I miss most since being diagnosed coeliac. Thank you, Hannah.