Profile for Kenny Coughlan > Reviews

Content by Kenny Coughlan

Kenny Coughlan (Glasgow, Scotland)

Jimi Hendrix: Live at Woodstock [DVD] [2005]
Jimi Hendrix: Live at Woodstock [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Billy Cox

4.0 out of 5 stars All of the existing film footage?, 30 Oct. 2005
Forgive me for being a skeptic but before buying this, I knew what to expect. I knew Larry Lee's songs would not be in there, the string break during Red House would not be included, Larry Lee's solo during Voodoo Child would be cut and all of the clips between songs would be cut.
But of course ALL cameras managed to simultaneously down their tools during these parts. So I believe it is false advertising when they say "...Features all of the existing film footage from Jimi's unforgettable August 1969 Woodstock concert newly re-edited and presented uninterrupted and in it's original performance sequence".
I could perhaps understand why they would do this with the main first DVD. But the "Second look" second DVD, I expected more. I hoped to see the full concert uninterrupted by the simple black and white camera at the side of the stage, but I wasn't suprised when they chopped chunks out of that as well.
I am perhaps being over-critical about this however, as this remains a fantastic DVD with many interesting features and the more vibrant colour breathes new life into the set - Especially in the newly released tracks. I would have easily rated this 5 out of 5 if I was satisfied they used all of the existing footage, but I don't believe they did. Perhaps in 5 years there will be another Hendrix at Woodstock DVD, again with "all" existing footage...