Profile for Stephen V. Seebaran > Reviews

Content by Stephen V. See...

Stephen V. Seebaran (Tampa, FL)

Page: 1 | 2
Buy To Let Tax Planning In 2014/2015
Buy To Let Tax Planning In 2014/2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative all around, 13 Jan. 2014
Personally, I need something concise, but considering the subject matter, it can't always be. This book covers everything from reducing income tax on rental income, how a lease premium is taxed, reviews overseas mortgages, and much more. The break-downs and definitions are cleanly laid out, something I need, as I can easily get overwhelmed. If you are a little fuzzy about this kind of stuff and need things bulleted-out neatly, this book is for you.

Love & The Goddess
Love & The Goddess

5.0 out of 5 stars A traveling tale, 13 Oct. 2013
This is an interesting story that follows the recent down and ups of Kate Canavan's life. A wife, mother, and cookery teacher by profession, her personal life suddenly goes through a massive upheaval. Her need to find something anew takes her on a myriad of new adventures from traveling abroad with her friend Ella, to a whirlwind of crazy dates. And if this was not enough, she receives troubling news about her health. Yet all this takes a backseat to a spiritual calling in her that gets stronger and stronger - a calling that can mend not only her body, but also her soul. A must read for those looking to find new motivation in their lives!

Dead Line (A Cal Murphy Thriller Book 2)
Dead Line (A Cal Murphy Thriller Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sporty fun, 25 Mar. 2013
I'm not really a sports guy, but this was recommended, so I got it anyway to broaden my reading. Wow; not bad actually. So the setup is an NFL story with a QB (Noah) taking his team to the Super Bowl. Sounds peachy, but plot twist -- son is kidnapped. Queue the Harrison Ford "Give me back my family!" musical score.

For someone reason a sports writer and a photographer are sewed into the plot to rescue the tyke, which I wasn't so sure about, but it seemed to work. I guess the Super Bowl is worth saving? I just watch for the ads. Whatever lol.

It's a sporty (pun intended) thriller. Check it out.

THE FAT BAG stuck between a rock cake & a hard plaice
THE FAT BAG stuck between a rock cake & a hard plaice

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny. Sad. Real., 30 Nov. 2012
For anyone who has yo-yo dieted and tried to maintain a happy, sassy life, this is for you. We get a mix of ridiculous, witty sarcasm, bemoaning, pity parties and other fun things that make a recipe for a great read. And don't forge the drama; it's required!

This isn't just a lovable "fat girl story," this is really a good reflection of a woman's self-worth while just trying to live her life. Check out these lines from the book:

"I clubbed it, I partied hard, and I had a ball. I started living on Rice Krispies and Kentucky Fried Chicken."

"I startd smoking. Someone 'kindly' told me it helped to dull your appetite so you wouldn't want to eat so that's what I did."

It paints a picture of a woman who is doing wrong, even though we know she is not a dumb girl at all. She is just making dumb decisions. Will she wise up? Read and find out!

Undertow
Undertow

5.0 out of 5 stars Moreno! Great villian!, 25 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Undertow (Kindle Edition)
Desmond Cory's Undertow is a bit shorter than his other work, but I didn't mind which I was surprised because I like when his work expands 200 pages -- it was still a great read nonetheless. Again we're in the old timey sleuth / international spy genre which is forever a timeless literature favorite of mine. Here we get a man named Moreno, dubbed as "a psychopathic Spanish killer", who escapes from imprisonment to help KGB intelligence chief Feramontov recover something called the Spyglass logbooks. The logbooks are important because they hold the key to political secrets hidden in a sunken boat.

Feramontov has a problem though! He completely underestimated Moreno, as he has proven dangerous and unstable at times. Also, Feramontov has put himself on hero Johnny Fedora's radar! I love it! Moreno is slick, rough, tough and an over all bad a** villain. He kind of has a Bane-likeness to him in my mind at least (Batman franchise). Buy now!

Tuscan Dream: A Novel
Tuscan Dream: A Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very nice!, 25 Nov. 2012
"Maria wrapped her slender hands around the mug of steamy coffee with streamers of smoke steadily rising, enveloping her face in secrecy."

Wow! If I was able to have half the creativity the first post-prologue sentence contains, maybe I'd be a better writer myself. I love how David's world, which brings trouble to other characters, is given somewhat of an intro that says completely otherwise; a bit of irony really. For example, we read in chapter 7:

"David, awakened by the bright light stream into his room, continued to lie in bed watching through the window the unblemished blue sky. The sunrays dancing on the red-clay tiled roofs gave a soothing warmth to his heart. It was a beautiful spring morning."

However, David brings trouble to Florence when he ends up there after much travel. He meets Maria and Kathleen Zuccato, each unsuspecting of what chaos David will get them involved with. Things unfold in quite an intriguing way. This is a must read!

On the Gulf
On the Gulf

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty intense!, 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: On the Gulf (Kindle Edition)
Ready for a political thriller that somewhat draws parallels to the uprisings and mutinies of real world political turmoil? On the Gulf by Desmond Cory will provide a tale for you! The gist here is a plot to overthrow a ruler many want out of power - and replace him with a relative. That theme is common in memorable stories like Disney's The Lion King, but the dark real life undertones definitely shows this is not a kids' story.

Throughout the story, a domino effect happens, which results in violent acts that reaches its way to government-level territory and thus causing political upheaval. There's even an attack on a U.S. embassy, which all too often appears in our own headlines; again drawing parallels to our own lives and making this story even more believable and authentic.¬
As things escalate, we get deeper into trouble through bombings, kidnapping plots, more violence, more murder and the list goes on. It gets pretty intense. Recommended reading? YES. Enjoy!

This is Jezebel
This is Jezebel

5.0 out of 5 stars Super read!, 13 Nov. 2012
This review is from: This is Jezebel (Kindle Edition)
The originality from this author is outstanding. He is his own man with his own voice, no doubt about it. Desmond Cory has earned my vote as best personal author discovery in 2012. This is Jezebel takes us along another adventure with Lindy Grey. This read is a bit perplexing but in the best way possible; it's wonderfully complex because of how thoughtfully laid out the plot and subsequent plot devices are written.

As Grey works toward finding out who the culprit is, we get introduced to another cast of characters full of moxy, old-school speak and delightful candor. I can't fully explain the carefully written tapestry that This is Jezebel contains, so just read it for yourself and you'll understand. Enjoy!

Begin, Murderer!
Begin, Murderer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a longer read! :-), 13 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Begin, Murderer! (Kindle Edition)
Finally, we get a lengthier read from author Desmond Cory (almost 300 pages this go-around). Begin Murderer is another British detective themed book, which I never tire of by the way. With a 1950s backdrop in Sussex, the story is narrated by ex-police officer Lindsey Grey who is taking us through murder after murder. Again romance is mashed up with humor, action and intrigue. The interjection of William Shakespeare before chapters was an unusual but nice touch by the way. I never seen any author do this, but it helped set a nice mood for the proceeding chapter.

I was getting used to Johnny Fedora from Cory's another works and was sad he wasn't in this one, but it was okay without him. Cory has to show range after all as an author. Get some coffee going and kick back for another delightful story!

This Traitor Death
This Traitor Death

5.0 out of 5 stars Off to Paris we go!, 13 Nov. 2012
This Traitor Death ... where do I begin? I nearly fell asleep because I was trying to finish this e-book in one sitting (I failed miserably - I work long hours after all). Like someone else here said, it is indeed a page turner. Johnny Fedora is back and this time his marching orders take him to city of love: Paris, France.

Fedora is taken with a beautiful spy "Le Rossignol" or "The Nightingale" (not even sure how to pronounce Rossignol, and I hope no one asks me), which is reminiscent of the 007 flicks (protagonist who is infatuated with the enemy). The Nightingale is a key character tasked with bringing the Nazis back into power, but she is elusive. She is so elusive that not even the British government can find her. That's why Fedora is on the job of course to put a stop to her quest for a second Nazi rising. Again, worth a read!

Page: 1 | 2