Profile for James Keary > Reviews

Content by James Keary

James Keary "playwright" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
The FBI: The Complete Seventh Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
The FBI: The Complete Seventh Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Price: 32.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Solid Season, 8 Jun 2014
I'm delighted to have an opportunity to catch up with this brilliant series over forty years after it was first shown. In Ireland, we never saw beyond midway through Season 4, so it's great to finally see all those episodes I missed.
As usual, there's a wonderful line-up of guest stars featuring stalwarts like Andrew Prine, Ralph Meeker, Cameron Mitchell, John McIntire, Jeanette Nolan, Martin Sheen, Earl Holliman, Jim Davis, L Q Jones, David Canary, Diana Hyland, Wayne Rogers, and Dana Wynter. There's also a pre-Walton Richard Thomas as a very nasty college student.
Highly recommended.

Cannon 2: Complete Season 2 (DVD) (Region 2) (Import)
Cannon 2: Complete Season 2 (DVD) (Region 2) (Import)
Dvd ~ William Conrad

3.0 out of 5 stars Faulty DVD and poor follow-up service from Amazon, 28 Feb 2013
The option to remove the Swedish subtitles only worked on one of the six discs, and the constant flashing subtitles are very distracting on all bar four episodes. Disc 5 worked as it should.
I contacted Amazon who said they would follow it up with the manufacturer, but I've heard nothing in over two weeks.
'Cannon' is wonderful, of course, but I can't guarantee the quality of the boxsets.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2014 7:30 PM BST

The FBI: Season Two Part Two [DVD] [1967] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
The FBI: Season Two Part Two [DVD] [1967] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Price: 24.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Playable on Region 2 players, 10 Nov 2012
I'd given up all hope of ever seeing this series again as it's unlikely to ever turn up on tv on this side of the Atlantic again.
I was delighted when I saw that the series was coming out on dvd, but was disappointed when I saw it was only Region 1 (NTSC) compliant. However, I went to Amazon.com site. There, although the series is shown as NTSC compliant, it also says All Regions. So, I took a chance and bought Season 3: Part 1, not sure whether it would play on my Region 2 player or not. But I was lucky. It arrived yesterday and the dvds play perfectly.
So far, I've watched one episode and it's every bit as good as I remember it.
I've now ordered the whole of Season 2. Probably won't have it for a few weeks, but I'll have these other episodes to keep me going in the meantime.
Jimmy

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour - Volume 1 - 3-DVD Box Set (GER) ( The Alfred Hitchcock Hour - Volume One )
Dvd ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk
Price: 30.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Buying, But With A Few Reservations, 8 Oct 2012
Since I'm a big fan of 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents' and since the Region 2 releases abruptly stopped with the release of Season 3 a few years ago, I was delighted to see that 'The Alfred Hitchcock Hour', which I had never seen, was available in a playable format for me.
For anyone planning to purchase these dvds from Germany, here are a few points worth noting as all the instructions are in German: to access the English version, when you insert the dvd and the first menu comes up, click on EINSTELLUNGEN at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This takes you to a second menu - here click on 'Englisch'. To eliminiate the German subtitles, click on Untertitel (under Englisch) and then on aus and then go back to the original menu to choose which episode you want to watch.
Unfortunately, my dvd (and I've only watch two stories on the first dvd) has rogue German subtitles, which pop up now and again through the episode for no apparent reason, stay for a few minutes and then disappear. Oh, and the German subtitles for Hitchcock's introductions can't seem to be eliminated.
One irritating feature of 'The Alfred Hitchcock Hour' - well, for me it was anyway, - was that Hitchcock popped up in the middle of the episodes with some jokey woffle about the next part of the story and it broke up the flow and tension for me.
As I said I've watched two stories - 'Captive Audience' - with James Mason and Angie Dickinson. It tells the convoluted and drawn out story of a writer who sends tapes to his publisher outlining a murder he's going to commit? Is he really going to kill someone or is it just the plot for his new book?
Much much better was 'Ride The Nightmare' by Richard Matheson starring Hugh O'Briain and Gena Rowlands. A man with a shady past and some very nasty former associates finds it and them catching up with him. A brilliant piece which just gets better as it moves towards its fiery climax.
Also on Disc 1 is 'I Saw The Whole Thing' starring John Forsythe and directed by Hitchcock. I'm really looking forward to that.
The picture quality is outstanding and I love that period and the cars. The boxset comes in a book format - very well presented. There are some black and white photos as well as pages of writing about each episode, which, ,of course, are in German.
So, I'd recommend it, but don't panic if you see those rogue subtitles. They should disappear again in a few minutes. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes.

Jimmy
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2013 3:30 PM GMT

Jukebox Collection - The Sound of the 70's 1
Jukebox Collection - The Sound of the 70's 1
Offered by stevecaptainkirk
Price: 5.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Track Listing, 29 Jun 2012
For those interested in purchasing this cd, here is a list of the tracks:

1. Spirit In The Sky - NORMAN GREENBAUM
2. Hot Love - T.REX
3. The Devil's Answer - ATOMIC ROOSTER
4. Lola - THE KINKS
5. In A Broken Dream - PYTHON LEE JACKSON (featuring ROD STEWART)
6. How Long - ACE

Acoustic Moods
Offered by Just4-U-Media
Price: 16.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Track Listing, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: Acoustic Moods (Audio CD)
Since I have the original cassette tape of 'Acoustic Moods', I'm going to provide the track listing to help anyone thinking of buying this cd. Excellent selection of songs.

1. Lady Eleanor - LINDISFARNE

The Invaders - The Believer's Box (Complete Box Set) [DVD]
The Invaders - The Believer's Box (Complete Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roy Thinnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good series, dreadful cheap packaging, 21 Jun 2012
Amazon delivery was prompt as usual, and of course the series is brilliant. Well, I already had the two previous boxsets. I only bought this for the few extras, which I haven't had a chance to view yet.

But be warned, the packaging is CHEAP!!! It's flimsy cardboard - glossy cardboard admittedly - but flimsy cardboard nonetheless, with tight little pouches for the discs. The information side of each dvd has to be dragged across a glossy surface each time it has to be removed. Some of the discs were half out of their pouches when the packet arrived and are already marked. I won't even bother sending it back, because I'm sure the replacement packet would be just the same.

I had been hoping to sell off my previous two boxsets, but I'll be keeping them and just looking at the bonus disc.

My advice: unless you have 30 quid to throw away, buy the two separate boxsets and it'll work out cheaper and you'll have sturdier boxes.

The loyal Invaders' fans who are spending good money on these boxsets really deserve better.

The FBI: Season Two Part One [DVD] [1967] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
The FBI: Season Two Part One [DVD] [1967] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Price: 24.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Review Update, 13 Jun 2012
Further to my previous review of this series, you may remember that I was lamenting the fact that it hadn't been released in a Region 2 format. Well, I couldn't wait any longer and went to Amazon.com where the series is also advertised. There, it is marked as being 'All Regions'. So, I took a chance and bought it through there. And it worked!!! All discs played in my Region 2 player.
The only mistake I made was buying the two parts of Season 2 together. As a result, they were packaged together and I had to pay an extra 20 cost this end.
So far, I have Season 2 (Parts 1 & 2) and Season 3 (Parts 1 & 2) and I'm delighted with them. Great stories, great guest stars and excellent picture quality.
So, I'd highly recommend this series. And don't be put off if you only have a Region 2 dvd player.

Best of TV Westerns Collection 2 [DVD] [2009] [US Import]
Best of TV Westerns Collection 2 [DVD] [2009] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Henry Fonda
Offered by Books2anywhereUS
Price: 3.67

3.0 out of 5 stars A Work In Progress, 6 Jan 2012
Volume 2 arrived first, but unfortunately Disc 1 had come loose in the box and was so badly marked that I was afraid to try to play it. So, I've returned it to the accompanying address, but that was only eight days ago. Obviously, it's too soon to have heard anything back yet. I'll keep you posted.

Jimmy

It Takes a Thief - Entire Season One - 5-DVD Box Set ( Once a Crook ) ( It Takes a Thief - Entire Season 1 )
Dvd ~ John Saxon
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk
Price: 52.69

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Disappointed, 31 Dec 2011
I was really looking forward to getting this Season 1 boxset as I'd been a fan of 'It Takes A Thief' when I was a child, but I have to say it's been a bit of a disappointment.
Of all the episodes I've viewed so far, I've only really enjoyed one, 'A Very Warm Reception' (guest starring Simon Oakland). The other episodes I've seen consisted of too few thrills, a lot of tedious romantic interludes with that week's guest actress and some very dodgy back projection. This is particularly noticeable in one episode 'The Lay Of The Land' when Robert Wagner and guest star Hermione Gingold are out in a car together.
Things got off to a very bad start for me with the first episode 'It Takes One To Know One', which guest starred Susan Saint James. I liked her in 'McMillan and Wife', but here she's putting on some glastly french accent, which made the episode almost unwatchable for me. And, horror or horrors, I think she appears in more than one episode.
I have always liked Robert Wagner and he just about carries the whole thing, but, overall, it's a disappointment and certainly not a thrill a minute.
By the way, watch out for a very young pre-'Alias Smith and Jones' Ben Murphy in an episode called 'A Matter of Royal Larceny'.

Page: 1 | 2