ARRAY(0xb443a0a8)

Profile for Matt Davies > Reviews

Content by Matt Davies

Matt Davies (Bracknell, UK)

Scriptshadow Secrets (500 Screenwriting Secrets Hidden Inside 50 Great Movies)
Scriptshadow Secrets (500 Screenwriting Secrets Hidden Inside 50 Great Movies)
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Great structure, relaxed style, and practical examples, 6 Feb 2013
If like me you have a book shelf groaning under the weight of screenwriting books this one more than earns it's place alongside any of the 'greats'.

Having been a fan of the Scriptshadow website I'll be honest and say I bought Carson's book with a mixture of anticipation and uncertainty.

Anticipation at the prospect of having a single volume collecting together Carson's knowledge on screenwriting. Uncertainty as I wondered if Carson's style of writing would translate from a blog to a full length book. I need not have feared.

Easy to understand, doesn't labour on an individual aspect of screenwriting to the point of monotony (Syd Field take note), and using actual movie examples throughout, this book is a joy to read.

I'd like to stress how refreshing that last but one point is; where as most books will have either numerous movie examples scattered throughout each chapter or a few chapters (typically at the end) devoted to an 'analysis' of certain screenplays, the majority of this book is build around specific movies and what can be learnt from them.

Drawing on a wide selection from sci-fi, to thrillers, to rom-com, regardless of your cinematic tastes there will be a chapter in here on that movie or movies you love. Even movies I hate which were included here I took a fresh look at and saw the elements of gold in there which make them appealing to other audiences.

Having been a fan of the website it was also good to see Carson's relaxed style shining through from the first page. I can safely say this is the ONLY screenwriting book that has made me laugh out loud a couple of times. The fact it's such a pleasure to read and the bite size chapters also means this is a great book to dip in and out of if you're on the go.

Having read back through the above review it lacks a certain something. Let me see if I can jazz it up by employing some of Carson's tips*:

"Carson has just one week (TIP 322) to raise enough funds from the sale of his book to fix his time machine. Only then can he track down his arch nemesis; the half man half capybara fiend (TIP 132), Dr Hydrochaeris. Hydrochaeris has kidnapped Carson's one true love (TIP 117) and killed Carson's kung-fu mentor, Bob the Kung Fu Octopus (TIP 151 and TIP 85). Please buy this book and help Carson to save his true love and avenge Bob's death."**

*Please don't think poorly of Carson's book or screenwriting tips based on the above ramblings; that's simple my weak style

** That's not meant to be a logline so don't get on any forums and start giving me grief about the fact it's over 26 words long, OK! I also appreciate a name like 'Hydrochaeris' clearly breaks another of the tips in the book.

Know No Fear: The Battle of Calth (The Horus Heresy)
Know No Fear: The Battle of Calth (The Horus Heresy)
by Dan Abnett
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't like Ultramarines...but damn it, I respect them!, 4 Dec 2012
I've read all of the Horus Heresy series so far and can safely say this is one of the best. I've never been a fan of the Ultramarines in the rest of the WH40k fiction but Dan Abnett won me over with his rendering of them. The style of writing he's chosen takes some getting used to but once you're in, you're hooked. Abnett skilfully creates the epic scale of a planet wide battle and never lets the tension slacken off for a single page.

What I also liked about this book was they way it bought home why the Horus Heresy is also referred to as 'The Great Betrayal'. The Word Bearers showing their true colours and the Ultramarines reaction was very powerful. A number of the loyalist characters expressed a very real sense of loss which in places was quite touching.

So as not to gush too much; I have to say there where a couple of minor story lines which I felt never went anywhere and could have been dropped with no real loss to the overall story.

That said it's a fantastic read and easily in my top five HH books so far.

Twelve South BookBook 13 inch Hardback Leather Case for 13 inch MacBook/MacBook Pro - Red
Price: 66.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop the complaining this is a GREAT product, 18 Nov 2012
Oh is the zip a bit stiff? Zips can be stiff get over it!*

A great looking and really well made product; no two ways about it this is the best MacBook 'case' I've seen. It's solid enough that I'm confident my MacBook is secure, without being bulky. The finish is excellent and if you slide this into a book shelf with similar sized large books you (or a burglar) wouldn't notice it.

It's also a really fun design and everyone who's seen it has commented on how great it looks.

At first I balked at the price but after many months of use I can say it's well worth it.

* The zip on mine is not stiff; all the reviewers crying about stiff zips either had defective cases or massively weak wrists (I'm going to guess the latter) ;)

Maverick Screenwriting: A Manual for the Adventurous Screenwriter
Maverick Screenwriting: A Manual for the Adventurous Screenwriter
by Josh Golding
Price: 13.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone interested in screenwriting, 29 Aug 2012
I bought this book after attending Josh Golding's two day course on the subject at Raindance in London. Sure enough I wasn't disappointed.

This book manages to do what a lot of other books on screenwriting fail to do; explain relatively complex ideas and forms in a clear concise way. Well laid out, the book walks you through the various 'Maverick techniques' all the while giving examples and pausing for added explanation where necessary. Mr Golding avoids the trap may other authors on this subject fall into and does not revert to the constant repetition and slightly patronising style of some others. This means that the books is a significantly 'easier' and more enjoyable read.

If you've never read a book an screenwriting or you've read a hundred books on the subject, Maverick is well worth a read as there's something in there for everyone; wether it's a fresh approach you haven't considered or (as it was for me) a chance to totally re-imagine the way you approach the subject.

American Web Equipment 1910-1967 (Europa Militaria)
American Web Equipment 1910-1967 (Europa Militaria)
by Martin J. Brayley
Price: 7.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for US Army WW1 & WW2 webbing, 15 Aug 2007
Great book, with good detail, and lots of well captioned photos. It mainly focuses on WW1 and WW2 with the Vietnam items dealt with quite briefly at the end. The one thing I would point out is that it does not deal with US Marine Corps webbing at all. The book only looks at US Army webbing used between 1910-1967.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2010 7:10 PM BST