Profile for JUDITH > Reviews

Content by JUDITH

JUDITH (Corwen, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Dark Blue Wooden/Fabric Hand Fan
Dark Blue Wooden/Fabric Hand Fan
Offered by Ashprintlondonltd

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought a second one!, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Dark Blue Wooden/Fabric Hand Fan
Bought one of these - black - last year for a long haul flight. Very nicely made, robust, and the plain colour is understated. Bought another one this year as my daughter has appropriated the first!

The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories (Mammoth Books)
The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories (Mammoth Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, really nice ebook presentation, 16 Jan. 2013
Here is where ebooks score over paper. The print copy of this would be much too heavy to tote about on holiday when you want some light reading. A really good selection, each story having a short, intelligent intro, and not one of these classic ghost stories (from 19th century to 1990's) disappointed. In fact I was only disappointed when I finished it. In contrast to many more expensive ebooks, this was well laid out, with little pictures at the chapter headings, and you can jump to each story instead of having to scroll. Can't fault it.

Time's Echo
Time's Echo

1.0 out of 5 stars A learning process about the Daily Deal, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Time's Echo (Kindle Edition)
I need to be a lot more discriminating. This was boring and inept when it was not faintly nasty. I begrudge having spent 99p on it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 4:29 PM BST

Stanley: Africa's Greatest Explorer
Stanley: Africa's Greatest Explorer

3.0 out of 5 stars E-book is not the best medium for this readable biog, 16 Jan. 2013
I picked this because I live in North Wales and Stanley came from Rhyl (much as he tried to deny it). Also it had been well reviewed as a print copy in national newspapers. I'm about half way through and enjoying what I am learning. However I am struggling as my knowledge of African geography is woefully vague. With a print copy I'd be able to flip backwards and forwards to the maps. Still the book is so good I'll be looking out for a secondhand paperback. Explodes the many myths about Stanley's background, brutality and blimpishness.

SIX GHOST STORIES
SIX GHOST STORIES

4.0 out of 5 stars I love M.R.James and this was satisfying similar, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: SIX GHOST STORIES (Kindle Edition)
Glad I found this collection which pleased me greatly as a fan of Victorian/Edwardian ghost stories. Not as nasty as M.R, James and in one of the stories the ending was a little feeble, but the atmosphere and language made up for that. A big bonus is the readable and well-researched introduction by Richard Dalby which added to my interest as I discovered that TG Jackson was a prolific architect of universities, schools and other public buildings.

Supersense: From Superstition to Religion - The Brain Science of Belief
Supersense: From Superstition to Religion - The Brain Science of Belief

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 18 Sept. 2012
Bought this on a Kindle Daily Deal for 99p - happy to pay that price. I am sure these chapters would make a very entertaining lecture or tv series. I did feel a bit short-changed when I started reading, particularly on the example front - more stories, experiments, legends etc would have been more satisfying, especially as the author's approach is lucid, articulate and full of common sense. I am sure these chapters would make a very entertaining lecture or tv series.

The Reality War Book1: The Slough of Despond
The Reality War Book1: The Slough of Despond

4.0 out of 5 stars Will definitely read Book 2, 26 Aug. 2012
I'm having a scifi binge and this was a bit of an experiment. I loved the Lizard people and the local setting, not so sure about the americanisms. If you enjoy Peter Hamilton and China Mieville as I do you will like this too. The cliffhanger ending means I will definitely be downloading Book 2.

Lost London
Lost London

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but I would have liked more, 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Lost London (Kindle Edition)
Downloaded this to my Kindle while in London for the weekend. Perfect for reading between Tube stops and its mix of quirky history, ancient and modern, enhanced my visit. Good value for 99p but if I'd paid full price I'd have felt a bit short-changed.

Delphi Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Illustrated)
Delphi Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Illustrated)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value and a pleasure to own, 10 July 2012
I've not had this for long but already it's enhancing my enjoyment of Shakespeare. For example, the other night I turned on the BBC's new History Plays and came in halfway through Henry IV Part 1. I don't know the History Plays and I was lost - I heard a quote, typed it into search (this is searching The Whole Delphi Classic Shakespeare, by the way) and found where I was in seconds. Result - I could work out who the bad guys were.

I have already found the sources fascinating, and am thrilled to know I have all the "lost" plays - which of course I knew nothing about before. I am sure I am going to learn a lot. If I were studying Shakespeare now this would be so useful.

One suggestion - the Lamb Tales is quite useful, but on future updates it would be nice to include EE Nesbit's charming "Beautiful Tales from Shakespeare" instead, as they are much more fun.

$2.99 is amazing value for something I will be able to read, in increasing font sizes, for years. I have already had to throw out my paperback Collected Shakespeare as it was printed too small.

The London Mapguide
The London Mapguide
by Michael Middleditch
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and Useful - I love using it, 3 July 2012
This review is from: The London Mapguide (Map)
I've had this map for a couple of years now and never go to London (about 3 times a year, for leisure) without it. For one thing the margins are big enough to hold your own notes. But mainly it is because it is so informative, easy to read and puts London in context. At a glance you can see where you are and what might be interesting around you. Amazing how they managed to get so much info in such a slim volume. And of course now it will slide into my Kindle sleeve too.

Page: 1 | 2