Profile for John Nicholls > Reviews

Content by John Nicholls

John Nicholls (Abingdon, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Morrison Hotel [Expanded] [40th Anniversary Mixes]
Morrison Hotel [Expanded] [40th Anniversary Mixes]

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Doors Album, 29 Mar 2013
I loved The Doors music during my teenage years, but didn't think of them as being one of the GREAT bands. Then they released Morrison Hotel. In my opinion, this is a great album - and The Doors were a great band. I can't understand why this relatively flopped. I still think this is their best. Top quality songs and performances all round.

Belkin CoolSpot Cooling Stand for Laptops up to 17-inch - Black
Belkin CoolSpot Cooling Stand for Laptops up to 17-inch - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Effective but noisy cooling stand, 28 Jan 2013
This stand was bought to cool a laptop with a noisy internal fan. The laptop is cooled very effectivley, but the fan in the stand is more noisy than the fan in the laptop - so this stand is not used.
This weakness was pointed out by other reviewers, so I have only myself to blame.

1.4m long Quality Polypro Purple Guitar Strap Electric Acoustic Bass Gifts
1.4m long Quality Polypro Purple Guitar Strap Electric Acoustic Bass Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good strap for the price, 22 Jan 2013
This is a very robust and secure strap, and is excellent value. It works perfectly on my perfectly balanced Vintage AV6 (Strat copy) guitar, but not perfectly on my not perfectly balanced Vintage AV4 (Jazz copy) bass. So, if your guitar is not well balanced, this is not the strap for you - you will need one made from material with better grip on the shoulder, or with a shoulder pad.

Yellow Guitar Strap: Polypro/Nylon/Webbing Electric/Acoustic/Electro/Bass (1.4m)
Offered by Dangleberry Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good strap for the price, 18 Jan 2013

19V 3.42A Replacement Laptop/Notebook AC/DC, UK 3 PIN Adapter/Charger Power Supply for Acer Aspire Series including 5610z, 5611AWLMi, 5611ZWLMi, 5612AWLMi, 5612WLMI, 5620, 5630, 5632WLMi, 5633WLMi, 5634WLMi, 5650, 5670, 5672WLMi, 5680, 56803G, 5683WLMi, 5684WLMi, 5720, 5920, 7100, 7104WSMi, 7110, 7112WSMI, 9100, 9100WLMI with PC247's 12 month warranty and UK mains lead included.
Offered by PC 247

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable adapter, 25 Aug 2011
The adapter worked well for the first few months, but then became increasingly unreliable - the plug becoming loose in the socket and needing frequent repositioning to get a contact (very frustrating). Other reviewers have reported the same problem, so I can't recommend this product.

Thinking of Woody Guthrie
Thinking of Woody Guthrie
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Woody Guthrie tribute, 29 May 2011
I've been a Country Joe fan since the early Fish albums. When this was released, I had little knowledge of Woody Guthrie, and didn't know what to expect. I was blown away, and since then this has remained my favourite Country Joe Album. Great songs, beautifully performed. I was fortunate to see CJ live (solo) in 1970. Here, he's supported by a brilliant band. Great country/bluegrass playing - played straight, but always fresh and interesting. I will never tire of listening to music of this quality and sincerity. Highly recommended.

Bluegrass Mandolin for the Complete Ignoramus
Bluegrass Mandolin for the Complete Ignoramus
by Wayne Erbsen
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to learn mandolin? LOOK NO FURTHER!!, 27 Mar 2011
If you're thinking of buying a mandolin but are not sure if you can get to grips with it - you can if you buy this book! If you've already got a mando and are struggling or lacking in confidence, this is the tutor for you. As soon as you open it, it draws you in and you're off!! It's great fun and highly rewarding. The only problem is with sore fingertips, because you don't want to put the thing down.
I did have trouble with the CD. My Windows 7 laptop wouldn't recognise it. I read it with a Windows Vista laptop, then ripped the audio files (they can't be copied directly) and transferred these to my other laptop. I'm not deducting any stars for this inconvenience (which may be the fault of my computer), because this book/CD is by a long way the best tutorial I've ever read - and I have quite a collection. Wayne's style is interesting and positive - he promises results and he delivers the goods. There's a great selection of practice songs. I love bluegrass, but even if you don't, getting these songs down will get you well on your way regardless of which style you are interested in.
I'm no longer the eternal beginner! I'm about to buy Wayne's guitar tutor (a companion to this book). I can feel another breakthrough coming on.

P.S. If you're looking for a budget priced mandolin, I can highly recommend the Wesley Electric Acoustic (green or red).
Wesley Electric Green Mahogany Acoustic Mandolin - w/ Professional Setup

Rosebud
Rosebud

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Yester masterclass, 11 Oct 2009
This review is from: Rosebud (Audio CD)
Jerry Yester is, in my opinion, one of the great music producers of modern times. Examples of his finest work: Tim Buckley's Happy/Sad; Henske and Yester's Farewell Aldebaran; and this. He can't easily be categorised. His work is just music, of a very high order. His productions, compositions and arrangements are intriguing and fascinating.
The music on display here is typically diverse. As usual he surrounds himself with superlative talent - including the great Judy Henske. I can never get tired of this album - almost every play seems to reveal something new.
Brilliant keyboardist/singer/composer Craig Doerge once commented that Rosebud could have been as big as Fleetwood Mac, if not for the relationship problems which split the band. If there was any justice in the music world, they should have been. Certainly (in my opinion) this, their only album, is an example of contemporary music of the highest order - which does not dim with the passing years.
Jerry Yester's own performances here (as well as his dazzling arrangements, compositions and production) are at times breathtaking, and his fellow bandmembers and guest artists maintain a similar standard - the closing track Flying to Morning, composed by Henske/Doerge, is an extraordinary musical gem with a magnificent vocal from Judy. And many equally magical moments come before it.

Halfbreed ~ Remastered
Halfbreed ~ Remastered

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Blues/Rock, 10 Oct 2009
This review is from: Halfbreed ~ Remastered (Audio CD)
Keef Hartley's masterstroke was to add the richly talented Miller Anderson to the excellent band lineup, and this album was the stunning result. Anderson's powerful vocals are the icing on the cake of excellent: songs, arrangements, production, and musicianship. His impressive guitar skills were not to be on display until the brilliant follow-up Battle of NW6 - Spit James (aka Ian Cruikshank) is the 6 string maestro here.
I'm another old-timer who bought this when it was first released. It dazzled me then, and sounds just as good now. It was released at a time when it was almost impossible to keep up with the onslaught of wonderful music coming from the UK, Ireland, and North America (and no doubt other parts of the world). But this brilliant band could hold their own in any company.
If you haven't heard this, and you like a blues edge to your rock - you're in for a treat with this one, it's something special.
R.I.P Keef

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Eno clip-on guitar/bass tuner - brilliant, 25 Jan 2008
I've used several guitar/bass tuners, but this is my favourite - so quick and easy to use. It's also the cheapest I've ever bought.
An added bonus for me is that, when the tuner is set to Chromatic mode (rather than Guitar or Bass), it displays the note being played - whether open or fretted. No more looking up fretboard charts, or counting which fret I'm on and working out the note. Pathetic I know, but I need all the help I can get.

Page: 1 | 2