Profile for Terry Ashton > Reviews

Content by Terry Ashton

Terry Ashton (Scotland)

Tums Regular Strength Antacid/Calcium Supplement Tablets, Assorted Fruit, 150-Count Bottles (Pack Of 4)
Offered by OTCFORYOU
Price: 21.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service, would recommend., 25 Jun 2014
Fast delivery, and as described. Considering I already know the product there is not much I can say about it, except they suit my wife and I very well. However, they have become difficult to obtain lately, so this was a pleasant find.

Riber "BUGZY" Kayak Trolley
Riber "BUGZY" Kayak Trolley

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable design, but too flimsy., 20 Jun 2012
It folds away well and is easy to setup, but not if you want to put any weight on it. The Allen screws are not particularly easy to tighten and are threaded into plastic. The lower plastic screws were replace with stronger ones (pre packed so the problem is recognised) but still failed whilst trying to stop it collapsing with a 16ft Canadian canoe.

The trolley was fine on smooth roads, but in sand or grassy terrain the plastic framing can be easily distorted.

I've had to replace the broken plastic screws with M8 bolts, but since it"s threaded into plastic I don't expect them to,last long anyway.

The upper stanchions could do with some sort of robust locking mechanism instead of relying on those Allen bolts being friction tight, as they are just not man enough. Having said that, would probably be perfectly adequate for a small light kayak.

I would rather have paid more for an alloy version with Hex head bolts instead. Nice design, but not there yet.

I'm currently on the lookout for a good alloy trolley to replace the Riber now. Hope this is useful to somebody.

TomTom Car Kit For iPod Touch compatible with Generation 1,2 & 3
TomTom Car Kit For iPod Touch compatible with Generation 1,2 & 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliantly for me!, 20 Jun 2012
This unit works perfectly with my iPod Touch 4th Gen. iOS 5.1.1, absolutely no issues. Power connector works first time every time, no problems experienced as other users have reported with connectivity. Mind you, I have a Proporta slim back cover fitted which may help there. The simple TomTom app for reporting sattelite status IS still available and works fine. Although you don't need it for the GPS to work. Satellite acquisition is fast and accurate. Volume control also works fine and with a 3.5mm jack lead transfers the audio to my car"s AUX input. So good I've ordered another for my wife's car. At this price definitely worth it.

TP-Link TL-SG1008 8-Port Rackmountable Gigabit Switch
TP-Link TL-SG1008 8-Port Rackmountable Gigabit Switch
Price: 29.98

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 months on, and an oustanding switch at a great price!, 31 May 2011
I normally have reservations when a glowing review is posted within days of receiving a product, I suspect that often the user hasn't had chance to properly evaluate the product. Which is why I'm posting this now, ....after it's been through the mill!

I bought this on the 1st November 2010, as part of an upgrade of a 10/100 network to Gigabit (1000). After unpacking, I simply plugged it in, connected the LAN cables and that was it. No fuss, no noise, no problems. Note: Important to use at least Cat 5e cables to ensure full speed potential, I use a mix of Cat 5e and Cat 6 - The Cat(egory) rating is marked on the cable sheathing.

Speed throughput improvement was very noticeable, which is what I would have expected anyway. I particularly like the built in power supply, no adapter/transformer to add to the already over-stocked collection. Just needs a standard 'kettle' power lead, which comes with it, as well as extension plates if you want to mount it in a rack.

It's been working happily and reliably ever since, totally silent, doesn't get over hot either, (but then I do keep it in a well ventilated area, and I suggest you do as well). Mine has weathered countless power cuts, switching on and off in rapid succession. It just works!

Up to buying this TP-Link switch, I was always a Netgear man, and always bought the metal version, never plastic. This TP-Link 8 port switch is of course also metal and just feels good quality; but at half the price!. Needless to say, after this I'm trying to think of a reason why I would ever buy a Netgear switch again....?

Logitech M505 Wireless Mouse - Black
Logitech M505 Wireless Mouse - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars It takes something special to get my 5 stars., 20 Aug 2010
I first purchased one of these mice over a year ago, it was then called the V450, but it's exactly the same mouse. It's has worked flawlessly EVERY DAY for over a year, ...and it's still on the original batteries!!!

It's precise, comfortable, equally suitable for 'right' or 'lefties' and works on just about any surface (except glass). The nano receiver is ideal fo leaving in-situ in a laptop. I maintain a network of machines and repair/build computers as a part time profession. I can whip out the nano receiver (no need to stop the usb device) and plug it straight into a another machine I'm working on and get almost instant response, It has never missed a beat in this respect. I purchased a second one as a replacement for my office desktop, again, months of flawless service, also still on original batteries.

But here was the big (and pleasant) surprise for me. I recently purchased a new workstation and a Logitech Pro 2800 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse were included as a cheap deal. Being a lefty, you can imagine my disappointment when it arrived with a large profiled mouse suitable only for right handed people!!! Sure good quality as I've come to expect from Logitech, but almost impossible for me to use. Well the dongle that plugs into the USB port on the computer has a reset button which triggers an auto sense feature for the mouse as long as it is switched on within 30 secs afterwards. ....and guess what? It works equally well with any of my little V450's (read M505). Well done Logitech! Nice to see compatibilty like this across wireless devices.

So if you want a small (but not too small), full featured (but not overladen) mouse suitable for desktop or laptop use, compatible with other Logitech wireless keyboards (Pro 2800 anyway) and with a battery life that is just staggering then you can't go wrong with one of these. I shall be buying more of these little gems as the need for ANY mouse arises in future.

Oh, and as for nano receiver storage, yes it's stored in the battery compartment, but it's a cinch to access (the mouse even automatically switches itself on ready for use when you remove it), and yes if left for any length of time on it goes into sleep mode, but wakes the instant you move it with almost no noticable lag. The mouse that I've been using for over a year now on the original batteries has been left switched on for days at a time ....and on many occasions!

If it has a fault, then it must be that it's useless at washing up, but then you can't have anything can you.....? :-)

Great little mouse - You won't be disappointed.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra reliable and as robust as they come, 8 Mar 2010
Bought this after going through the usual plethora of cheap junk that broke after the first charge of gas ran out.
"It's a Zippo", I thought, and if it follows its famous lighter cousin for quality, then I've nothing to worry about. ...and how right I was!

I've had this lighter for over 2 years now and it's still going strong. Apart from one small glitch where it once leaked out the gas overnight after I filled it. But I suspected a bit of dirt had got into the refill point, and sure enough, after a couple of 'blow throughs' with the butane refill canister it has never leaked since. It is used reasonably regularly at BBQ's in summer, but every day during the winter months up here in Scotland to light a wood burning stove, and my wife's smelly 'scented' candles.

It usually lights first time, every time, only rarely do I need to press the trigger a second time. Which brings me to the very small downside. The child proof button is a bit of a nuisance, but only mildly so. I would prefer to not have it at all and rely on common sense to ensure it stays out of the way of small children. Besides, (and this is the other very small gripe) the trigger takes a considerable amount of force to operate it, and to be honest, if a child is physically strong enough to activate the lighter mechanism, then they will almost certainly be old enough to overcome the child lock.

Small gripes aside, it does exactly what it's supposed to time after time after time, and after two years of very reliable service I feel qualified to offer a fair opinion.

Sony RDR-HXD870 - DVD Recorder With 160GB Hard Drive - With Freeview - Black
Sony RDR-HXD870 - DVD Recorder With 160GB Hard Drive - With Freeview - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch ....almost, 19 Nov 2007
I did a lot of soul searching and research before opting for the RDR-HXD870. I can say now that I made the right choice, as for the money, this machine is hard to beat.

It does everything from recording to editing very well indeed, and is very easy to use. The all important picture quality is simply superb, and in the 4 months that I've had it has performed flawlessly.

Why did I not award it 5 stars? Well the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) is not the best although quite adequate. But the problem is it lags behind your remote presses, and means you keep shooting past your choices. Slow down your 'button bopping' to a snail pace and it's fine. Mildly anoying but I can live with it. Having said that though, the recording of programmes whether individually or a series (every week) are simply a doddle. You don't need to memorise how to do things either as the menus are easy to follow.

In operation, the unit is very quiet, no evidence of the noise issues I'd read on some reviews of earlier Sony models.

All in all highly recommended; especially when you consider the price. 4.5 stars would be a more realistic rating but I don't have the option.