Profile for Jonathan Oakey > Reviews

Content by Jonathan Oakey

Jonathan Oakey (Brussels Belgium)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - BBC Series 1-4 Complete Box Set [1989] [DVD]
A Bit Of Fry And Laurie - BBC Series 1-4 Complete Box Set [1989] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Fry

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining although self-indulgent, 24 Jun. 2007
I'm generally a fan of both of the stars of this series, having watched much of their work and read most of their books. This was a reasonably successful TV comedy sketch show which I remembered as having some funny moments but being rather mannered and self-indulgent. Well, I was right - but it is generaly quite entertaining, and they do their best to break a lot of the clichés of comedy sketches.

It's not brilliant and some of it is repetitive, such as the end-of-show cocktail, but if you like the two actors, you'll probably find quite a lot to enjoy here.

House - Season 1 [DVD]
House - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Laurie
Offered by PowellTrading

4.0 out of 5 stars Good show, stunning performance by Laurie, 14 May 2007
This review is from: House - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I normally avoid hospital dramas like the plague, but having put "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" in my shopping basket (which I'm currently waiting eagerly for), House popped up in my recommendations. I was intrigued by the reviews of his performance, and decided to give it a try.

They were right. Hugh Laurie does a fabulous interpretation of the leading character (anyone else notice the similarity to Dr Cox in Scrubs?). The supporting cast is OK but definitely walks in his shadow.

The main problem, and the reason why I give this show four stars, is the formulaic nature of the show. Every episode centres around one perplexing medical mystery which is ultimately solved by House and his team, with various plot twists and development of the back story along the way. It works well, but it is intrinsically rather limiting, and to a layman, a lot of the medical stuff is gobbledegook.

Very good show nonetheless, and definitely worth considering if you're attracted to it either through the subject matter or because of Laurie's performance.

Robo Rally Board Game
Robo Rally Board Game
Offered by CJ-MaX

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice game although not cheap, 13 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Robo Rally Board Game (Toy)
Roborally is a board game where each player controls a robot, and they have to go around a board and be the first to land on each of a number of designated spaces. It sounds easy, but you can only control your robot by using 5 instruction cards each turn from a randomly dealt hand (instructions are move 1, 2 or 3 spaces; back up; rotate left/right; U-turn). Players have to choose their cards, and there is a 30 second time limit after the first player has finished, so there is time pressure that can lead to mistakes.

Other players pushing or lasering you can throw your robot off course, and there are board elements that further complicate matters, such as conveyor belts, fixed lasers which damage your robot, or pits which make you lose one of your 3 lives.

I was recommended this game as a good one for two players, but it goes up to 8. There are several different boards which can be used in many different configurations, with recommended layouts for different numbers of players and even for teams.

The game is relatively quick - generally 30 minutes to an hour - and easy to set up. It is fun with two players, and probably mayhem with eight! I would definitely recommend it, particularly to people with fairly logical or mathematical minds. I do think it's a bit expensive for what's actually in the box, but it's a good game and so probably worth it.

24: Season Four DVD Collection [DVD]
24: Season Four DVD Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kiefer Sutherland
Offered by Helen's Goodies

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good but still watchable, 8 Dec. 2006
I agree with many of the criticisms in other reviews - series 4 is the weakest so far, and I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars. It's probably about 3.6 stars, so it just scraped the fourth one!

I found the plot too fragmented, and the overall story arc was a bit too distant. Some of the sub-plots were a bit silly or unnecessary - particularly Heller's son and Mandy, who I think was mainly a plot-filler and eye-candy.

The formula for this season seemed to be too much of: plot twist is unveiled; Jack goes in to investigate and ends up shooting or torturing a bunch of baddies; finds out next twist....repeat until episode 24. I missed the multiple plot strands spanning the whole season that we got in previous series.

On the other hand it is still quite watchable, and there were some great moments. The ending was good, and I loved Chloe with the gun! :)

I will get season 5 because I have read that it is better, but I would hesitate if I heard that it was similar to this one.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice game, not interactive enough, 14 Nov. 2006
The WoW board game is a very good adaptation of the video game. Most of the major elements are there, with quests, character classes and levels etc. It is quite complex, which I like since it's a greater challenge.

I find the only real problem to be the lack of interaction between players. The game is modelled on the PvE (player versus environment) part of WoW, and when I play with my son it's quite common for one of us to wander off and do something else while the other is taking his turn. This is why I have deducted a star.

Generally, a lot of fun though, and a very nicely made game with quality components. You do need a lot of space, though!

Smallville : The Complete Fourth Season [2004] [DVD]
Smallville : The Complete Fourth Season [2004] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Welling
Offered by Helgy

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable although some flaws, 3 Oct. 2006
I have watched all of the first 4 seasons of Smallville and enjoyed them very much. Season 4 was generally entertaining although there are some signs of the writers scrabbling around for storylines - as another reviewer noted, the witch storyline is a bit ridiculous and Lana the witch reminded me of a second rate Willow from Buffy. Some of the episodes also didn't really hit the spot, such as Krypto - the one with the super dogs. Ahem!

Nevertheless, plenty of good clean fun, and a good cliffhanger which guarantees that I will buy season 5 in the very near future.

The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air - The Complete First Series [DVD] [2005]
The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air - The Complete First Series [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ James Avery

3.0 out of 5 stars Largely enjoyable, 13 Sept. 2006
Fresh Prince is generally very entertaining, and the cast is good, particularly Will's uncle. Personally, I enjoyed a lot of it but it does suffer from two fairly classic drawbacks of American comedies, over-sentimentality and overacting. Some episodes where they dwell on family (often with the grandmother) are pretty nauseating - and am I the only one who gets intensely irritated by Jazz? He's just so smug.

Despite these annoyances, there are enough laughs in this to make it a worthy purchase, particularly at a very reasonable price. I'll probably dip into my pocket for season 2 at some point in the future although, having just watched season 1 in the space of a couple of weeks, I feel sated at the moment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2010 5:37 PM BST

Sony Ericsson Z530i Black Sim Free Mobile Phone
Sony Ericsson Z530i Black Sim Free Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, 27 July 2006
I bought this phone on the rebound from a Samsung E370 which didn't do what I hoped. This one seems great so far - the more expensive Samsung had problems with multi-part SMSs and wouldn't synchronise the calendar. This one does both with aplomb - you can download PC software from the Sony Ericsson website which makes synchronising calendar, tasks, notes etc. with Outlook a breeze.

The camera is limited as it's only VGA resolution, but this seems like a great phone for the price. I can't speak for its longevity as I've only had it for a couple of days, but so far I'm delighted with it.

Samsung E370 - 1.3 Megapixel Camera - Bluetooth - Video Record/Playback - SIM Free

3.0 out of 5 stars Took it back, 27 July 2006
I bought one of these (not from Amazon) and took it back after a week. It's a nice phone, very cute and chic, but it wouldn't receive multi-part SMS messages which is a major pain. I also don't think you can synchronise the calendar with a PC, which I really wanted to do.

I also had a rubbish battery, so I took it back and exchanged it for a Sony Ericsson Z530i which I'm very happy with so far - lower resolution camera but a lot cheaper and it does everything else I want.

This is a very nice phone if the things I mentioned aren't a problem for you, though, so don't dismiss it out of hand.

Acer AL2016ws 20.1" Monitor - Silver/Black - 600:1 - 300 cd/m2 - 1680x1050 - 8ms

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent no-frills monitor, 21 Jun. 2006
I have one of these monitors, although I didn't buy it from Amazon but from a shop in Belgium where I live. Before buying, I tried to find reviews online but without much success.

I can't really comment in detail on the technical specifications of this monitor such as colour quality, timing etc, but from my perspective as a fairly normal user, I love it. There are no dead pixels on mine, and the image quality is great when you run it in the native resolution. Modern games should allow you to use the native resolution if your graphics card is set up correctly and I really like the widescreen view for them. I don't see any blurring although I haven't tried it with a fast-paced game like Quake.

The look of the monitor is very clean and attractive, with a thin frame and unobtrusive buttons. Adjustment of the screen on the base is limited but it's fine for me sitting on my desk. The base is not terribly solid (although perfectly stable), and moving the desk can cause the screen to shake a bit. There's a slightly irritating on-screen message whenever the image changes resolution, but these are very minor complaints. Note that you need a fairly powerful graphics card due to the high resolution.

It doesn't have a digital connection, which surprised me, just a classic VGA connection. A professional review would probably reveal technical issues of colour reproduction or something like that, but I'm not a graphic artist or anything requiring perfect colour fidelity, and in everyday use I haven't had any problems.

In summary: it's cheap, image quality seems fine, the technical stats are good (8ms) and I'm extremely happy with it after 3 months of use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9