Profile for Jonathan Oakey > Reviews

Content by Jonathan Oakey

Jonathan Oakey (Brussels Belgium)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Next Generation
Next Generation
Offered by firefly-music-store

4.0 out of 5 stars More info, 4 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Next Generation (Audio CD)
I have most of the Flying Pickets' back catalogue although I don't actually have this CD yet. I will certainly get it sooner or later as it sounds like a must-have for Pickets fans.
This (non-)review is meant to give some more information on the CD. It's a live recording (subtitled "Live in Hamburg") and contains the following tracks:
I Want it That Way
Eternal Flame
Celebration
Mama Loo
Only You
Some of these are on other studio albums, but as far as I can remember, some of them are not. I'm looking forward to hearing it when I get it! I've provisionally given it four stars just because you have to give it a star rating, but will update that after I get it.

10 Bulb pack. LED GU10 1w Eveready Low energy saving light bulbs for mood and accent lighting. 240v 2 pin.
Offered by UKHobbyStore ~ PowerSaveBulbs UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe TOO low..., 28 Nov. 2008
I have no less than 26 GU10 bulbs in my flat, and the halogen bulbs are expensive and don't seem to last that long - I'm forever buying new ones. It's probably only one or two a month, but it seems like a lot because of the cost.
I thought I'd try these to be a bit greener and save money, both on electricity (1W instead of 50W) and because they apparently last for years. However, the light that they give is horrible. They are very dim compared to halogen lights, and distinctly blue. I've installed several of them but I'm going to take them out because they make my rooms look like a morgue.
I don't know whether this goes for all LED bulbs or just these ones, but I can't recommend these ones. I may try a different type - possibly some with a higher wattage - but I won't be buying a pack of nine again until I've found a model that's alright!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2010 11:25 AM GMT

Wii Fit with  Balance Board  (Wii) [Nintendo Wii]
Wii Fit with Balance Board (Wii) [Nintendo Wii]

5.0 out of 5 stars Two month review, 11 Sept. 2008
I was lucky enough to find my Wii Fit in a supermarket nearly 2 months ago, and have been using it fairly religiously since I got it. I was reasonably fit in any case, as I play squash regularly, but had stopped going to the gym and had gradually put on some weight over the last two years. I needed to lose about 9kg.
I'm now on day 57 or so (including a holiday in the middle) and have been using the Wii to supplement my squash games with at least some extra cardio and exercises. I also have a cross-trainer, so I try to do a mix of all three activities, and I've been roughly following the Abs Diet for the last four or five weeks too.
So far, I have lost around 3kg and my condition has improved significantly. Two months ago I was struggling to get through my hour of squash, but now it's no problem again (and I'm approaching my 40th birthday). The Wii has certainly been a significant element in this, and it is fun too.
The different activities have been pretty fully covered by the product description and other reviewers, so I won't go into details. I'm happy to say that I have achieved the maximum levels in two of the three Challenges, although the press-up challenge is a long way from completion!
The Balance Board is very sensitive, and also very accurate, and works fine on the rug in my living room. My only problem with the board is that it's not really big enough for a couple of the exercises, particularly Step and Press-ups (my hands are too close together). However, it would be more awkward if it were bigger, so I suppose it is a reasonable compromise, and perhaps for Step one could place it on something else to get extra height.
My other minor gripe is that you can't add FitCash activities for a date other than the current day, which means that I can't tell it that I played squash yesterday. Again, not a big deal but a surprising omission.
Regarding BMI, I can only say that it is a blunt instrument, and everybody has to be aware of what their BMI should be based on their musculature. For me, it's probably around 24-25. For a rugby player, it might be 30; if you don't do any exercise and have very little muscle mass, it might be 20. Your best guides for this are your mirror and your trousers. Wii Fit is then a great tool you can use to track your progress.
Lastly, it is true that the Wii Fit does not replace going to the gym for serious weight training. It's not really designed for gaining muscle mass, and few of the exercises will help much for this. However, it's way, way better than sitting on the sofa and watching TV!

Lost - Season 3 [DVD]
Lost - Season 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Fox
Offered by Venture Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Very annoying, 24 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Lost - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The first series of Lost was excellent. It had a good basic idea, some interesting characters and some good plotlines (although some silly ones). Season 2 was a pleasant surprise, and was much better than I expected. Season 3 fulfilled all of my expectations, and was horrible.

I knew this was going to happen because of Alias. Alias was another great idea which ran on for far too long, and both series give me exactly the same impression. I imagine the writers sitting in a room at the start of each episode, and saying to each other "OK, now how can we jerk the audience around totally in this episode?"

Because that's all they do. They keep the suspense by constantly switching back and forth, making the good guys into bad guys and vice versa. This would be ok if you thought that there was some kind of master plan behind it, and for a while you think that there is, but after some time the truth dawns. There is no master plan except for keeping the ratings up so that they can milk this idea for as much money as they can.

Alias was brilliant for the first season and a half, and quite enjoyable for another season or two after that, but the last couple of seasons were an insult to their viewers. Lost has gone exactly the same way, and sooner. There were a couple of good episodes, but the vast majority just consist of cynical audience manipulation to create as much suspense as possible with very little substance behind it.

Don't say you haven't been warned!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2009 5:36 PM GMT

Everyday
Everyday

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Everyday (Audio CD)
I love much of what the Pickets have done in the past, but I don't much like this recording. The harmonies have disappeared and been replaced by vocal percussion, making a completely different sound. It may be funkier and more up to date, but it's not as pleasing to the ear.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable protection, 14 Aug. 2008
I bought my Viewty to replace a Sony Ericsson that was damaged by falling out of my pocket, and so - particularly with an expensive phone - I wanted to protect it from the same fate. Hence I decided to buy a case of some sort.
I chose this case (which then had a picture) because I thought it would do what I wanted, looked good and was reasonably cheap. It is a black leather case which is designed specifically for the Viewty, with holes in all the right places for the different buttons, ports etc on the phone. It also has a leather flap on the back which is connected by poppers, and which can be opened to allow you to take pictures - at other times the camera lens is very well protected. The flap is a little awkwards and can get in the way, but it's OK. The main problem with the case is that the jogwheel around the lens is inaccessible with this flap fastened, and difficult to use when it's open, but that's partly due to the design of the phone itself (the location & functionality of this jogwheel being largely criticised by reviewers).
The phone fits snugly in the case, and there is also a "multidapt" carrying connector on the back, which allows you to attach the phone to various accessories such as a belt clip (included with the case). The connector adds a little to the thickness of the case and I haven't really started using it yet, but it works well and I may well use it in future.
The case provides good protection for most of the phone, and I feel quite happy that it will help it to survive being dropped. It protects the corners, sides and back well. The only exception is the screen, which is not covered or protected at all. This is reasonable, as it is a touch screen and so you need to be able to touch it, but you may want to use separate screen protectors ("flimsies") - personally I don't, because I didn't find the one included with the Viewty very good, but perhaps they would combine better with the case. Anyway, the screen is perfectly usable when the phone is in the case. There are other cases which have a flap to cover the screen if you prefer, but that adds to the overall bulk.
In summary, it's a well-priced case which is good quality and does what I want. It has its limitations as I have described, but if you're happy about those, it's absolutely fine. It gets four stars, the lost one mainly because the flap over the camera is a little unwieldy, but I'm still happy to recommend this case.

Elite Premium Car Charger - LG Arena, F2250, GB102, GB220, GC900 Viewty Smart, GD910, GM730, GT500 Puccini, GW300, GW550, KC550 Orsay, KC560, KC780 Reina, KC910 Renoir, KE800 Chocolate Platinum, KE820, KE850 Prada, KE970 Shine, KF300, KF310, KF350, KF510, KF600 Venus, KF700 Virgo, KF750 Secret, KF757 Secret, Kf900 Prada II, KG320, KG800 Chocolate, KG810, KP100, KP170, KP500 Cookie, KP501 Cookie, KS20, KS360, KS500, KT770, KU990 Viewty, KU990i, Viewty Lite

5.0 out of 5 stars It's cheap and it works!, 14 Aug. 2008
There's really not much you can say about a charger, but this one was cheap (although don't forget the delivery charges), was delivered efficiently and works. It has an LED to show that the power is on, which is always helpful, and is reasonably compact. Build quality seems fine.
That's about it. It does what it should!

Matter
Matter
by Iain M. Banks

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid addition to the Culture canon, 14 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Matter (Hardcover)
I've been a Banks fan for a long time and he has certainly produced some disappointing books recently. At his best, he is truly brilliant, but sometimes the books just don't work.
It took me a while to get into this book, because the plot is multi-layered, and the layers are only revealed as the book progresses. As a result, what seems like a relatively simple plot at the beginning becomes much more complex and wide-ranging by the end.
I grew more and more interested and impressed by the book as it went on, and really liked the latter parts. There are many very different and varied characters from the different races and societies, as well as a fascinating and novel physical environment. Lots of imagination, and I always like Banks' writing style.
It's not his best book, but it was very enjoyable, and a worthy addition to the Culture canon. I hesitate between four and five stars - for Banks it's a four-star effort; for anyone else it might have scored five.

Scrubs: Complete Season 3 [DVD]
Scrubs: Complete Season 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zach Braff
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Weighing in with another 5-star review, 25 July 2008
Season 3 was thoroughly enjoyed both by myself and by my children, although some of the sexual content is a little mature for younger children. The classification is 12, but there is a high level of sexual references and some non-explicit sex scenes, and some parents may feel uncomfortable with that at the younger end of the classification.
It's basically more of the same from seasons 1 and 2, although there is some development of the characters and in the storylines. However, you don't watch Scrubs for the drama, you watch it for the comedy, and on this point is scores very highly, with loads of very funny jokes, interactions and visual jokes - if you have this on while doing something else and don't actually watch the screen, you will miss a significant amount of the comedy.
If you enjoyed the first two seasons but wonder whether they could keep the level up in the third, worry no longer but watch and enjoy!

Slam
Slam
by Nick Hornby

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but overall a "miss", 25 July 2008
This review is from: Slam (Paperback)
This book is something slightly different from Nick Hornby, whose books I have enjoyed (particularly "About a Boy" and "High Fidelity"). Typically, I think his target audience is the 30-somethings, although "About a Boy" also featured a teenage boy as a main character so this isn't quite so much of a departure as some may say.
As a 30-something (just), this book did not hit the mark. I understand that the author wanted to take us into a slightly different world, and one that is real for many people, but it is not a world that I relate to, and the main character is not one with whom I could empathise. I think the portrayal of this rather thoughtless teenager was realistic, but not an attractive read (although as ever his easy style made the book quite readable).
I also did not like the "time travel" gimmick. It disrupted the storyline, and was a total nonsense. The author was trying to show how much the boy's life changed and how bewildering and disruptive these changes are in his life, but I think this message was clear enough without this trick.
Three stars - perhaps slightly generous - because it was still quite readable, but I won't rush to read it again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9