Profile for J. Bloss > Reviews

Content by J. Bloss

J. Bloss "jethrox1" (Buckingham,UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Game of Thrones - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Game of Thrones - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre - doesn't live up to the hype, 11 April 2012
I hadn't read the books before purchasing the first series and I did so based on the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. I can only say that I am a little disappointed by the quality of the drama as a whole. If I was cynical I would characterise the target audience as teenage boys mainly because there are repeated gratuitous scenes of violence and sex - sometimes both at the same time. By gratuitous I mean that they don't always add to the plot and are not really necessary. One major problem I have with it is the portrayal of women - prostitutes abound and they are all happy and nubile - I know this is supposed to be fantasy but it actually becomes a bit tedious after a while - oh here we are again in another brothel and doesn't everyone look happy and healthy in their work....Also everyone who dies just has to spurt blood - it becomes very cartoon like after a while. The production values are high -it obviously cost a lot of money to make - but the writing and plot do not make compulsive viewing and some of the dialogue is quite poor. I doubt I will make the effort to see the second series.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2012 4:00 PM BST

Campus [DVD]
Campus [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andy Nyman

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been much better, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: Campus [DVD] (DVD)
There is something about Campus that just doesn't seem to work as it should do and I feel it could have been a lot funnier and more effective programme with a few changes - Like another reviewer I am slightly surprised by the amount of 5 star reviews here on Amazon. The series is based at Kirke University - a down on its luck establishment - and it has a few basic plotlines that run through the episodes - a will they, won't they love story ( in fact 2! ) and an external audit of the Uni which may spell its doom. The series has a number of characters that are fairly mundane and straight, with others who are over the top and surreal - it may be one of the reasons the series doesn't really fire on all cylinders. Green Wing worked because all characters were quirky, twisted and funny - but Campus doesn't seem to strike the right balance. It also must be said that the episodes are too long - it would have been much better if they were 30 minutes long - and the programme cannot maintain enough energy for an hour or so. There are some funny moments and some excellent characters within the series, and it does get better as it progresses but overall it doesn't manage to deliver.

The Killing - Series 2 [DVD]
The Killing - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sofie Gråbøl

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little far fetched and clunky plot, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Killing - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I've recently watched the first, and now the second series of The Killing in quick succession. I have to say that the second series does not stand up in comparison to the first in terms of plot or character development - I think the fact that there are 20 episodes in the first series gave a lot of time for ideas and personalities to develop. The second series is half the length and a lot of the themes don't get the airtime that they deserve.
I found the plot to be far more contrived in the second series, and not as satisfying although the endings of both series are quite flat and disappointing compared to the "journey" you take to reach them. In the second series we have a fairly fantastical plot involving the murders of several members of a Danish army unit who had served in Afghanistan. The motivation of the murders is never really explored, and it is a ridiculous premise that to cover up historical misdeeds you would embark on a very public murder spree. The development of the political machinations in the first series was excellent but here the various factions are not given enough time or explanation - the characters of Plough and Buch for instance could have done with more exploration.
Hopefully the third series will be on a par with series 1 but I found The Killing 2 to be a little disappointing overall.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 [DVD] [2011]
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Underwhelming Climax, 20 Dec 2011
Having never read any of the books I have faithfully watched each film. I had high hopes that the final installment would provide a fitting end to the series but upon reflection I feel it didn't really reach the heights you would expect or that I had hoped for. It isn't a bad film but just didn't seem to be dramatic enough or give a finale that it deserved...There isn't much for Ron or Hermione to do ( again ) and the final battle against Voldermort does not feel like the entire future of Hogwarts,Harry,Hermione...er everyone depends on its outcome. It also seems that some other episodes in the film are casually passed over with very little empathy, for instance the death of Ron's brother.

Hot Tub Time Machine [DVD]
Hot Tub Time Machine [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Cusack

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Poor Poor, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Hot Tub Time Machine [DVD] (DVD)
Ok so I bought this because it was cheap and John Cusack was in it so I thought it must be ok. The idea sounded ridiculous enough that I hoped it would be quirky and funny. What a big mistake. This makes The Hangover look like Shakespeare. The script is poor, the storyline pathetic and the characters unlikeable. It is a waste of time - avoid at all costs.

Robin Hood - Extended Director's Cut [DVD]
Robin Hood - Extended Director's Cut [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

2.0 out of 5 stars The worst film I have seen in a long time, 8 Sep 2011
Oh dear oh dear. This film is a complete shambles. I can only think of one decent thing in it which is Max von Sydow who at least does a decent job ( as ever ). Everything else is just so so poor. The film makers could have gone a number of different ways - fit the Robin Hood legend into real historical events, or make it completely an adventure in its own reality. It attempts to do both with disastrous consequences. The history, for the most part, depicted in the film is garbage - complete and utter fabrication - they can't even get the geography of the UK right let alone anything else. The storyline meanders along and is utterly undramatic - what a waste of a good cast - the writers should be ashamed of themselves. The action scenes except for the very first 5 minutes are underwhelming with the climax very...unclimactic. I doubt there will be any sequel - if only they had simplified the story and looked to make Robin Hood more like Gladiator! At least it would have brought something new to the story - we've had lots of jokey and good natured Robin Hoods with Errol Flynn and Kevin Costner...we could have done with something grittier....what a wasted opportunity. Avoid watching this unless you are now bored with watching paint dry and grass grow.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2011 1:17 PM GMT

Submarine [DVD]
Submarine [DVD]
Dvd ~ Craig Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars Coming of Age Drama with subtle humour, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: Submarine [DVD] (DVD)
This film should be commended as a great debut for its director. However, I would flag up that some of the reviews and quotes are completely misleading in the marketing of it - this is not a "laugh out loud" comedy or especially hilarious. It is instead a moving and sometimes dark coming of age drama that has the occasional comic touch. Set in Wales it follows Oliver Tate as he daydreams and attempts to save his parents stale marriage whilst embarking on his first romantic relationship. The characters are ambivalent - definitely not black or white - even the "mystic" that Oliver's mum has a fling with has more depth to his character as being a simple villain. It is also gratifying to see a film that does not romanticise youth in the way we see so many Hollywood films doing so, and the portrayal of the characters allows you as a viewer to come to your own conclusions as to their motivations. Definitely worth seeing.

Grandville Mon Amour
Grandville Mon Amour
by Bryan Talbot

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent sequel, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Grandville Mon Amour (Hardcover)
Grandville Mon Amour takes up the story 3 weeks after Grandville's explosive finale. The artwork is superb and the overall presentation in hardback definitely adds to the package. Personally I think the storyline is the equal of Grandville and if you enjoyed the first instalment you will definitely enjoy the second. This time Inspector LeBrock is on the trail of a psychotic ex-guerilla-fighter mass murderering escaped prisoner with shady links to the political elite - so just another ordinary case for him....thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended

The Ballad of Cable Hogue
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Dvd ~ Jason Robards
Offered by rsdvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, sometimes ramshackle Western, 26 April 2011
This review is from: The Ballad of Cable Hogue (DVD)
It is very hard to categorise this film. The first thing to make clear is that it is unlike any other Peckinpah film that I am aware of - so do not expect Wild Bunch Mk2! It follows the story of Cable Hogue who is betrayed over some water by two scoundrels and apparently doomed but by luck he stumbles upon a previously unknown waterhole and sets himself up in business. He falls for the local prostitute and waits to be able to enact revenge. David Warner plays his erstwhile companion as a disreputable priest. There are quite a few references to the end of an era - i.e. cars appear and so on and some scenes that are mildly comedic whilst others are at least attempting to be poetic. The story really does meander and there is a noticeable lack of tension and frankly the final scenes are pretty poor and almost seem an afterthought. I am struggling to connect the film I watched with other reviews on here but have to say that my fellow viewers also found that it dragged and were wishing for something to happen or for it to end. Definitely not one to view again in a hurry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2011 10:01 AM BST

Ornaments From The Silver Arcade
Ornaments From The Silver Arcade

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not their best, 15 April 2011
The most recent effort from TYK feels a little more mature and produced compared to their earlier efforts. On the first listen it didn't particularly grab me, and it's more of a slow burner than their debut for instance. However, there are some very good songs on here - comparisons with bands like XTC are spot on I think. What I am a little sad about is that some of the quirkiness and off-kilter approach has been lost and in some parts replaced by sub-disco tunes - especially in "Woman" which I am not sure if I love or hate. I think if I had heard this album before "Voices..." and "Superabundance" I might not have been grabbed, and would have written this band off as another decent but not spectacular indie guitar band. By no means is this a poor record but in my heart of hearts I think I was hoping for more. All existing fans will enjoy it I am sure but not the best album to start with if you are new to this band.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18