Profile for S. Brown > Reviews

Content by S. Brown

S. Brown (Hull, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Michel Thomas Method: Mandarin Chinese Foundation Course (Michel Thomas Series)
Michel Thomas Method: Mandarin Chinese Foundation Course (Michel Thomas Series)
by Harold Goodman
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Harold Goodman. Legend., 11 April 2010
I'm a great lover of the Michel Thomas method and have learnt three other languages using this method. However, none of the other courses in the catalogue came close to the level which Harold Goodman has attained, with this course. Michel, as far as I'm concerned, is a legendary figure within teaching, I found his courses fantastic, especially Spanish. However, Harold Goodman takes on Michel Thomas' method and completely exceeds the boundaries, set by the great man.

I approached this course with a great degree of scepticism, mainly because I always imagined Chinese to be completely alien, therefore being very difficult. Not only that, I had only done courses from the Michel Thomas method catalogue, with Michel himself, therefore the standards were set immensely high. 30 minutes into this course and all that has gone, I find myself hooked on his every word, thoroughly enjoying the learning experience, a feeling I hadn't experienced at school or at A level.

I am currently doing my A level studies and despite being well worked at home, with coursework and revision, I make time to do Chinese, every day if possible, I enjoy it that much. I'm actually an avid fan of the Call of Duty games, and there used to be nothing better than playing Xbox Live until the early hours, in my opinion. Such is the enjoyment I got from the Chinese course with Harold, I haven't touched Modern Warfare 2 for about 2 months now, my down time is spent singing out the Chinese tones, solely.

The reason I came to learn Chinese is because I am going to Beijing and Hong Kong for 4 weeks in the summer, on completion of my A level exams. I attempted to attend a Chinese class at my local school, but around the same time, I bought the Michel Thomas course to accompany my learning. Three weeks later, I have found myself rolling out sentences the others in the class could only dream of replicating. My friends also took the Chinese class at school and have continued it, whereas I dropped it after three or so weeks. Two months on from me leaving the classes and I have seen the level my friends are at, after nearly 3 months of leanring, they are at a level I reached within one week of home learning, using only the Michel Thomas method.

I would like to conclude this review by saying, it is evident from the standard of the course, that Harold Goodman has put a lot of effort into this product and therefore deserves a great deal of credit. I certainly hope to see more from him in the future. This is a revolutionary experience, which is thoroughly enjoyable, give it a chance and you'll be speaking Chinese with confidence in no time at all!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6