Profile for Hallber > Reviews

Content by Hallber

Hallber "Hallber" (London)

Living Well with Graves Disease (Living Well (Collins))
Living Well with Graves Disease (Living Well (Collins))
by Mary J. Shomon

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing in a clinch..., 16 Sept. 2006
I bought this book after being diagnosed with Graves Disease in March this year. I cannot deny - there is an abundance of very useful info. For example, did you know that Graves Disease can lead to more pronounced water retention and actual puffiness/bloating? I didn't until I read this book. And the book gives advice regarding what to do about it. I found other useful bits of information too, such as the areas describing symptoms and the translation of typical thyroid hormone test results. Through this book I discovered that I was acutely sick. I could have died at any time (it's a good thing the doctors didn't tell me this because I would have panicked even more!).

BUt...this book is let down by the diet and exercise recommedations, which focus on hypotyroidism rather than hyperthyroidism. It does this on the assumption that most of us will go from hyper to hypothyroidism at some point. There is absolutely NOTHING in it for those suffering from ongoing hyperthyroidism. Nothing about diet and nothing about exercise. The title led me to believe that I would find some help, some relief that I had not been able to find from conventional medicine or on the Internet. I had no such luck. Instead, it focused on the symptoms of hyperthyroidism but did not tell me anything that I didn't already know about how to improve my lot in the medium to long term.

If you are looking for more information than is available on the Internet, this is probably the book for you. If you are serious about looking for explanations, advice and hope with dealing with Graves Disease, you will not find it in this book. What you will find is a rehash of the info available for hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's syndrome, which is not exactly helpful for those of us who have had Graves for a long time and have no prognosis in sight.

It's a disappointment, hence the three stars.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2011 4:13 PM BST

The Optimum Nutrition Bible: The Book You Have To Read If Your Care About Your Health: The Book You Have to Read If You Care About Your Health
by Patrick Holford BSc DipION FBANT NTCRP

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved my life - in more ways than one too!, 26 Mar. 2006
When I stumbled across this book, I was desperate. I had a range of medical problems and it was a toss up to decide which to treat first. But PMT was what lead me to Mr Holford and I am glad it did! The supplements are expensive but I made sacrifices elsewhere to afford them. I did not need that bottle of wine every couple of weeks, nor did I need to smoke the odd cigarette! I had decided at this point that my health and sanity were far more important!
Mr Holford has a comprehensive supplementation regime for almost every illness and he recommends these are followed BEFORE treatment via conventional medicine (I would not recommend this if your illness is life-threatening, by the way). I followed the regime for PMT - with miraculous results! The PMT disappeared within 3 cycles and has NEVER made a comeback.
Later on, I had problems with depression. Again, I turned to my rather large red book. And again, after 17 years chequered by drug resistant clinical depression (complicated by SAD - Seasonal Affective Depression) - I have NEVER had a repeat of an illness that made me so gloomy that I contemplated suicide at times.
Aside from the regimes, Mr Holford makes a lot of sense. It was a book that I read from cover to cover, over and over. I cannot recommend this book enough. Honestly. My copy is so dog eared that I will need to buy a second copy soon. If you care about your health, if you or members of your family have ongoing health problems - anything - then this is the book for you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2010 4:08 PM BST

Seven Ancient Wonders
Seven Ancient Wonders
by Matthew Reilly

1.0 out of 5 stars The Fifth Element reproduced...badly!, 10 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Seven Ancient Wonders (Hardcover)
I normally love Matthew Reilly's work - I especially enjoyed Temple and Ice Station - and was hopping from foot to foot (with expectation) when my package arrived from Amazon. But Seven Ancient Wonders really cheesed me off! Talk about a blatant rip off of the Fifth Element... If you have ever watched that film, you will see what I mean. Even the climax is identical. Only the action sequences differ (Raiders of the Lost Ark anyone?). How Mr Reilly thought we wouldn't notice is beyond me.
And is there such a thing as too much action? If so, it was present in this book. There was a flimsy plot but it felt like the action sequences led development rather than a meaningful subject. The plot was definitely secondary.
I hated it. It was cringe makingly awful.
The bit that annoyed me the most? Guantanemo Bay. That is all I am going to say to avoid ruining it (even more) for everyone.
All in all this book felt like a cynical attempt to cash in on the author's reputation as a pacy writer. Harsh criticism? Maybe. But I recommend you read his earlier works (I liked everything except Hover Car Racer better) and then come back and re-read this and you will see what I mean.

Nip/Tuck - Season 2 [DVD] [2005]
Nip/Tuck - Season 2 [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ John Hensley

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous, riveting series! My son and I are hooked!, 7 Jan. 2006
From the off, Nip Tuck has been like no other series on television. Fast paced plots played out by complex characters within strong storylines means that at no point will you ever be bored with this show! Each episode can be watched in isolation yet all episodes within the season fit together so well that the progression of the McNamara-Troy enterprise can be followed over weeks, months and years. The show has the ideal mix of heavy drama, comedy, irony, sex and heartaching pathos. Oh, and cutting edge plastic surgery!
In other words, Nip Tuck demonstrates some pretty nifty writing with each episode.
I watch the show with my 19 year old son. He thinks it is a 'heavy, banging' show (his words!). I personally cannot get enough of the divine Messers Walsh and McMahon, who are very obviously more than pretty faces and buff bodies (they are great actors too). Joely Richardson also puts on a very credible performance as Walsh's (McNamara's) highly strung spouse.
I strongly recommended this box set to all my friends and co-workers. I also bought season one and I honestly cannot wait for season 3 to be released. A word of caution though - the sex scenes are pretty graphic so those who think they might want to purchase this series might want to bear that in mind.

Temple
Temple
by Matthew Reilly
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book enormously..., 4 April 2005
This review is from: Temple (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, I know some have slated the book for highly improbable action scenes but I think this is a strength. The fact is, this is a work of **FICTION** and as such, the author has free license to make his action hero do anything he wants them to. I could understand the sniping if the book was supposed to be factual but it isn't. I do wonder if those people who slate the book display similar scepticism when faced with a work of Science Fiction. Let's face it, most SciFi is about as improbable as things get!
The book was a fast-paced read, a real page-turner. I have to admit to being irritated by Mr Reilly's overuse of one particular phrase (if you have read his books you will know what I am talking about folks!) but I am a fan and have been since reading Temple (the first book by him that I read).

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter 5): 5/7
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter 5): 5/7
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark masterpiece..., 14 Dec. 2004
I came late - and reluctantly - to Harry Potter, despite buying the first 4 books as a boxed set for my son. Only after observing him reading them and then re-reading them did I give in to the urge to find out what all the fuss was about. I read the first (wafer thin) book and, to be truthful, still wondered what all the fuss was about. Yes, it was amusing (a devil dog called 'fluffy'? I ask you!) but the laughter was not enough to explain what everyone was raving about. I almost gave up but curiosity kept me going. The fuss must be about something - right? By the end of book two I was hooked. What I have seen in these books is an evolution. Harry as a green, untested, frankly (with the exception of events as a baby), uninteresting individual. Then as the book ended and the story moved into book two, Harry started growing up and developing meaningful relationships. As he grows and matures, the trials he faces become harder and more sinister. The books developed to reflect this growth, from wafer thin to tome-esque, from lightweight to, frankly, dark.
I enjoyed this latest offering immensely, I think because the prose seems to straddle an undefined boundary between children/adult prose incredibly well. This time the writing was dark from the outset, picking up from where Harry Potter 4 finished, with the resurrection of the Dark Lord (he who should not be named). There were many touching moments, particularly when observing Mrs Weasley's maternal nurturing of Harry (who has never ever been nurtured by the horrible muggles he lives with). And I thought it was sweet that despite the fact that Harry has faced more trials than many an accredited wizard, when it came to love and romance, he was as unschooled and naive as the rest of us.
I have given this book the full 5 stars because I enjoyed this one more than the others. That is not to say Harry Potters 3 and 4 were not excellent - they were, but in different ways. Now JK, please hurry up and publish number 6!

Going Places
Going Places
by Billy Hopkins

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing but..., 21 July 2004
This review is from: Going Places (Paperback)
...maybe I was expecting too much? After a brilliant start with 'Our Kid' followed (or should I say preceded), by 'Kate's Story' and then 'High Hopes', I was expecting great things of Mr Hopkins. Alas, this book was not what I was hoping for. First, unlke the others, the story seemed hurried in parts and superficial in others. It simply did not reflect the thought and feeling that had gone into earlier efforts by this author. True, there was a lot to get through and there is a difficult balancing act to manage between telling the story and not boring the reader to death but I felt that Mr Hopkins could have done better.
The other thing that grated was the over abundance of phrases that I doubt were typical of the time. I will pick up only one thing lest I spoil the tale for others but in more than one place the primary character, Billy, drew parallels to 'being... on a treadmill'. The placement of this phrase seemed at odds with the period of the tale and the conversations the character was having and smacked of the sort of reflective thinking of things the author wished he had said at the time rather than did say. Nothing wrong with that necessarily (this is, after all, a work of fiction) but sadly, the resultant 'out of time' statements jarred in a very discordant way when considered in the context of the period of time the story covered (50s - early 60s).
Overall, I have given it 3 stars. It was not a complete write off but I could not immerse myself in the story as I did with the first 3 books. I got the feeling when reading it that the book was rushed through to publication at a speed that was perhaps a bit swifter than the author would have liked. A pity...