Profile for William > Reviews

Content by William

William (UK)

The Anabasis of Cyrus: Version 2 (Agora Editions)
The Anabasis of Cyrus: Version 2 (Agora Editions)
by Xenophon

5.0 out of 5 stars To victory and beyond!, 20 Aug. 2015
This book revolutionised the way I perceived the ancient world. The antics performed to get out of a tight situation by the men in this story still amuse me to this day. I was left asking myself, is Xenophon a fat man or a thin man?

The Physics of Solar Cells (Series on properties of semiconductor materials)
The Physics of Solar Cells (Series on properties of semiconductor materials)
by Jenny Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great style., 20 Aug. 2015
This book is like a bible for renewable energy junkies. A relevant, interesting, comfortable and informative read for a physics undergrad. I found this one could relate to me in a way the Sze could not.

Mary Berry Cooks
Mary Berry Cooks
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Berry is from Bath, 19 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Mary Berry Cooks (Hardcover)
My friend became gay when I gave him this book and let me have intercourse with him and his wife every which way afterwards. My distant cousin stopped rinsing me after I gave her this one and got married and I never heard from her again.

Who Gets What - And Why: The Hidden World of Matchmaking and Market Design
Who Gets What - And Why: The Hidden World of Matchmaking and Market Design
by Alvin Roth

5.0 out of 5 stars Ubiquitous, 19 Aug. 2015
Yeah man. Player. "Goldmember: Dr. Evil, You look very toit. Yesh, toit like a toiger. Yesh Yesh Yesh."

A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R.R. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, 30 Aug. 2011
To start with I was thinking of giving up when the first half of Dance is about three characters who I thought of as boring and tedious but I persevered and finished the book in six weeks. In the second half of the novel the story picks up and I found it to be gripping in parts as new characters are introduced and the plot develops.

The authentic style used to create the world is sometimes difficult to palate with Martin's brand of story-telling involving devices using repetitions of certain phrases and retellings of certain events to flesh out the imaginary fantasy world all creating friction with the reader.

I noticed 5-6 typographical errors and also 2-3 grammatical errors in total which are a reasonably standard rate, given a length of about one thousand pages of text, in literature concerning oceanography and oil exploration. Even so I am keen to read the next volume of A Song of Fire and Ice, 'The Winds of Winter', but I fear the author's organisation and discipline are slipping in a similar manner to the Wildling Hosts' detailed in Dance.

George R. R. Martin's description of dragons were authoritatively excellent and I highly recommend this title as a starting point for the aspiring dragon lore enthusiast. Surely the author draws on reality to help him write this fantastic series, as this one left me thinking about how some of the scenes portrayed relate to my own life and experience. Generally the book is inane.

A Dance With Dragons is reminiscent of the discussions about spontaneous self combustion in the nineties. That kind of talk definitely influenced the content along with Mulder and Scully in the X-Files.

Teach Yourself Russian Conversation (TYCN)
Teach Yourself Russian Conversation (TYCN)
by Rachel Farmer
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, though simple and a relatively expensive way to learn some basics., 31 Aug. 2008
I have GCSE level russian and wanted to recap and learn how to make good conversation in russian. This CD is somewhat basic, as it does not include anything beyond GCSE, and having previously been to russia I found that that is not enough to make decent conversation, although it is enough to get around. I was hoping for some complex conversations with translations which would help me pick up modern russian conversation. You could pick up more by watching a russian film. I suppose this is useful, but its not really russian conversation. More like a simple audio travel phrase book. I would have bought something else had I known.